Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1934 Ford Pickup build aka "Hot Garbage"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hitchhiker, Sep 18, 2022.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

Awesome! When will you get that measurement?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  2. uncle buck

uncle buck

lucky you, he made a fresh batch a couple months ago and dropped off a set for me. With island infrastructure not the best, he can be slow responding at times

Attached Files:

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m just like you and PnB. I work on one project until I get to a natural stopping point, then jump to another to move it forward some and repeat. I have three projects underway, four if you count my Stude pu down in LA, but I don’t think about it that much. I like ’em all. I just go out to the shop, turn on the lights and do what I feel like doing on any given day. Progress is progress, in my book.
    Looking forward to seeing this one come together. I too am fortunate enough to have a lot of parts lying around to build my cars with but you appear to be way more organized than me! Ok, back to work….

Outback, Jet96, Hitchhiker and 4 others like this.
  4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I am just like this. I may not finish anything before I die but I'm having a good time and living the dream!

akoutlaw, bchctybob, brEad and 2 others like this.
  5. I see you edited this! I was coming back yo answer about where I would get it. My frame still has the original holes.

Outback likes this.
  6. Finally found the spring u-bolts and threw some paint on them today.

20220927_191324.jpg

Along with some rustoleum primer in the subframe. It's almost dry. Should get some color on tomorrow.

20220927_142400.jpg

7. I'm about to put mechanical brakes back on this thing since they can't possibly be driven in modern traffic or be relied on daily.

My grandmother at 16 years old drove with mechanical brakes. And she's just about the worst driver I've ever ridden with. Don't let my grandma be more badass than you. Put mechanicals on your car now. Operators are standing by.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  8. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's coming along. You're going to need more room for my truck. Oh, also nice to see my spring spreader getting good use. Although I'm not sure how it's helping on that reverse-eye spring I see there...

Hitchhiker and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  9. That's one of the reasons I am pushing so hard to assemble this and Doug's coupe. More projects coming down the pipeline...

As for the spring spreader, it's way handy... I appreciate the long term loan. I've been using it to remove the normal springs before I put the modified packs back in. I need to use it on the Cragar roadster, and the. I'll send it back with your chassis...

I really need to buy my own.

41 GMC K-18 and Tim like this.
  10. Paint not dry enough to my liking on a couple areas....so we're watching paint dry....

bchctybob, SR100 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  11. caprockfabshop

caprockfabshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's my complaint with Rustoleum products. I switched to Duplicolor and it dries almost immediately. Maybe not quite as durable of a finish, but definitely a huge time saver for certain applications.

~Peter

Hitchhiker and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. I would say this is my fault. I got a little overzealous with the application. Paint is thick in the areas I am concerned with.

It's more I'm just impatient and wanted yo paint things black today.

bchctybob, Tim and caprockfabshop like this.
  13. I understand the impatience. I think everything I ever painted has a fingerprint or two in it.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  14. manyolcars

manyolcars

better now?? :)

15. I sent ya a PM yesterday evening asking where you wanted it from, I can go take it any time.

16. This is why I bought this truck.

Tacoma
    Seattle
    Walla Walla
    Portland

I had to have it when I saw this for the first time. Can you imagine traveling between these cities when this truck was new?

20220928_180143.jpg

Outback, Tim, Rolleiflex and 9 others like this.
  17. Painted the subframe. I do have some rust repair to do on the subframe, it's not major. And I think I can come back in at a later date and do that. It's all flat areas. Then just brush up the paint. While I kinda feel like this is a hack job, my thoughts are, I'm going to fix the rust later on the doors and and lower parts, I can fix this then too.

My main goal here is getting this pile of parts that takes up 2+ stalls,
    to be a pile of parts that takes up one stall and can be moved easily. 1 less transmission on the shelf. One less engine on the floor.

20220929_162241.jpg

I've been spraying kroil and wd40 and using a small propane blow torch to try and loosen the cowl vent up, but no luck. Seems like I have several hours in just trying that today that were a waste of time.

20220929_162246.jpg

I think my next plan is to try Evaprorust in a little tub proped up to submerge the hinges.

I also have a pot style sand blaster with light grit abrasive in it currently and was thinking of taping off everything and everywhere I don't want sand and blasting that shitty rust, but I don't think it will cut it. I may try the ospho again and more brush painting.

I also need to pull the dash out and I plan to clean that up? I don't know. It's gross. 20220929_163839.jpg 20220929_163846.jpg 20220929_163856.jpg

I do have a really nice speedo and Stewart Warner coffin needle gauges I could put in this. I'm just wondering how bad the pitting is gonna be on this dash once I clean it up.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  19. That's odd. The quote from HITCHHIKER and the post I added should be in two windows. You have to open it at the "Click to expand" note. Not sure what caused that.

Outback and Hitchhiker like this.
  20. manyolcars

manyolcars

Thank you. Just found it. I really appreciate you sending those measurements. It means a lot to me!

21. @Pist-n-Broke definitely a concern. I guess we'll find out together whether I follow through!

Chucky and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  22. Best of luck to ya Hitchhiker.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  23. manyolcars

manyolcars

Hitchhiker sent the measurement from the front of the frame rail to the center of the front cab mount hole as 41 3/4". Thank you! This may help other guys too.

Hitchhiker, bchctybob and brEad like this.
  24. Thanks! I'm pretty good about going back and doing stuff. And I am gonna do the lower cab rust at some point... Main reason I didn't do it already is positioning of power outlets in the shop and not being able to get the welder close enough to the truck or cab.

So if anyone is an electrician and wants to trade labor or for parts...

I don't know why I didn't just post that here...like it needs to be secret or something. Haha. Thanks for thinking of that.

Outback, brEad, Tim and 1 other person like this.
  25. Judging by your coupe and roadster, you and I have very similar tastes. Your stuff is just nicer. I'll try not to be to jealous. Haha.

It does work well jumping back and forth. I never have what should I do moments. Or not being able to play in the garage because I have no parts yet. That's my worst fear. This way, I can work on what I have. Order parts that night for stuff I'm stopped on. It just makes it easy. I love playing in here. Once I get my heater finished it's on. Just a couple more things and we're set. It's still 70 here headed into October... hope I make it before it gets cold. Haha

Outback, brEad, 41 GMC K-18 and 2 others like this.
  26. I found a name I really like..."hot garbage"

Buckle up boys.

Outback, brEad, Tim and 2 others like this.
  27. bchctybob

bchctybob

Click….

Hitchhiker likes this.
  28. I loosely assembled the dropped axle and wish bone today. It needs some paint work, so I scuffed it up with Scotch Brite. I'll try and get some more paint on it tomorrow.

20221001_162300.jpg

It was nice to go to the drawers and pull out thee two perch nuts I needed. Right where they should be.

20221001_124732.jpg

I drug out the engine after I messed with the front end. I plan on using. It's a 221. I got it ages ago for cheap, like 200 bucks from a street rodder. I took the 81 carb that was on it off it ages ago and sold it for $275. So it owes me nothing. Supposedly a runner. I'm thinking I'll pull it apart and inspect it. Clean the pan. Make sure it will run and worth spending any money on it.

20221001_165952.jpg

I do have another 221, so if I need parts I should be okay. I can build a "bitsa" engine if needed.

20221001_170024.jpg

I also drug out the transmission I plan on using. It's supposedly rebuilt and looks it. Unfortunately previous owner left the shift tower off it and it's got garbage in it now. I'll pull it apart, clean it, check everything, and slam it back together.

20221001_153922.jpg

This is where I stopped, I started to clean up the rear end. It's been previously swapped to juice brakes. But I pretty quickly noticed an issue. It looks like the drums aren't deep enough to cover the entire shoe? You can see the edge of the lining here.
    20221001_165843.jpg
    20221001_165828.jpg

These are 32-34 rear drums I believe? Did the just not put the right drum on? I came into research it, eat some pizza and I'm gonna head back out and keep cranking after dinner.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Lil'Alb, Jeff34, brEad and 6 others like this.
  29. I ended up working on something else last night.... As I just wanted a change. But back on this thing today.

I was hoping someone would have some input on the brakes, but i guess the easiest thing to do is I can pop the drums off and try some different drums that match the year of the brakes.

I only got a little shop time today. So I pulled apart the transmission and cleaned it up. If you haven't taken one of these apart and put it back together, it's pretty simply.

20221002_161336.jpg

First you pull the pin on the grenade, this holds the shaft for the cluster gear and reverse gear in. You can see my output shaft is practically falling out already.

20221002_161442.jpg

Once you pull the shaft, the cluster gear falls into the bottom of the case and you can pull the rest out easy. 20221002_161458.jpg 20221002_161502.jpg

The front bearing retainer comes off and the input shaft slides out the front.

20221002_161542.jpg

The rear bearing was already halfway off the shaft and it came off easy. Then the main shaft comes out the top and you can pull the cluster out. I took the retaining clip off as I'm gonna replace it with a better one. I always mangle these old ones taking them off.

20221002_161708.jpg

Empty case ready to clean.

20221002_161958.jpg
    20221002_161955.jpg

And gears ready to clean. I did take them over to the parts washer and cleaned everything up and it is currenly drying on the bench after a liberal brake cleaning. The case is soaking in hope of getting the paint off it. I'm not a big fan of painting inside the case, unless it's Glyptal. Which this isn't. I'll give the case overnight to soak and get it ready to go tomorrow and slam this back together.

I can't decide if I should go back red or go Ford green? I'm not normally a red fan on drive trains. But I could see it being okay on this one.

I'm about due for a little shop cleaning, so that will probably happen tomorrow too.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    Graham08, Jeff34, simplestone and 7 others like this.
  30. @41 GMC K-18 sent me this picture today. A great picture of a local Seattle truck. Hope mine is half as cool.

IMG_20221002_194106.jpg

charleyw, Outback, Toms Dogs and 10 others like this.