Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 Dodge help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Feb 4, 2021.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I need some hinges for my 1934 Dodge coupe. Wondering if there's any other years besides the 1933 & 1934 Dodge and Plymouth that share the same hinges?

2. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure on those years . 37 -39 share the same hinges.. Bump up

3. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I think dodge truck would be the same.

4. gene-koning

gene-koning

OK, I'll bite! Which hinges are you talking about? Trunk lid, hood, door,or gulf club door?

firstinsteele likes this.

5. scotts52

scotts52

I guess a little clarification would be helpful. I'm looking for door hinges. I have several doors but it seems like every hinge I've seen on these cars has been hacked off on the body side of things. There's got to be some hinges out there somewhere that aren't torched or cut up.

6. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

They do take a slotted screw driver to get off.

7. bobd1976

bobd1976
    from Illinois

I used a 34 Ford hinge to replace a broken one on my 34 Dodge pickup. Sorry I cant tell you what model it came from but it took very little modification to make it work.

8. gene-koning

gene-koning

There was a good reason why most of the body side of the door hinges were cut off.

I'm building a 49 Dodge pickup. The truck cab had very little rust in it, and came out of southern MO. That cab had four 5/16" fine thread bolts that held each hinge onto the door post. The hinge slides into a slot in the door post, and the bolts pass through everything. Even with liberal penetrating oil over several months, out of the 16 bolts in both doors, only 6 total actually came out. The rest pretty much just broke the head off the bolts. The bolts passed through a sheet metal cover, then through slotted holes (for minor adjustment) in the body side door hinge, and threaded into a plate welded to the door post. Since the bolts broke off broke off even with the sheet metal cover, the door hinge still couldn't be pulled out of the slot it was in because the bolts still passed through the hinge holes. Even after drilling through the bolts, I still could not get the hinge to pull out of the slot it was in. I ended up cutting the door post apart to get the body side hinges out and making new pieces for the cab structure.

I don't picture some guy in a junk yard that just sold a door to go through the effort I put forth. The first one they may have broke off all the bolts, then when they found out the door hinge still couldn't be removed, they would have just cut the body side of the door hinge off. After that 1st one, they probably just cut the hinges from that point on. Gene

TrailerTrashToo and stanlow69 like this.