Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1933 Continental Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by josh highley, Feb 24, 2013.

1. josh highley

josh highley

All cuts and slices are done. Now just a ton of welding and grinding. I will post more pics once I am finished with the top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. josh highley

josh highley

I love this shot! If you can't tell, I have a real soft spot for chopped 5 window coupes. I am just EXTREMELY lucky to get to do this for a living.

[​IMG]

3. barry2952

barry2952

If I ever found a business coupe like this one I would have you turn it into a convertible for me, seriously.

Edit: It's very interesting that their promotional drawings very much resemble what you've done, rather than what was actually built.

There are no known Roadsters extant.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. studeynut

studeynut

Great series of photos to show how much work there is to properly chop a top. I'm going to save this to show customer why it costs so much to do a chop. Most have no idea how much planning, measuring, cutting, fitting, adjusting, welding, grinding, hammering, etc. there is to do. Fantastic work, pat your self on the back for a job well done.

5. From what I've seen and read luck has very little to do with it. Very nice work Josh !

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

That really looks nice! Is the Continental closer to a Model A or '32 Ford size wise? Bob

7. josh highley

josh highley

Thanks to everyone for all the nice comments. I was a little nervous to cut into this one, just because of how rare the car is. But I have to say, I am really happy with the way it is coming out. I love the proportions of the car now.

8. josh highley

josh highley

It is closer to a 32 in size than an A. The body doesn't "look" much larger than a 32, but it has a really good amount of room inside. Barry was right, this car is built for a much taller person.

9. elba

elba

Somewhere, I have a pic of a Beacon street rod. Is this also a Continental ?

10. barry2952

barry2952

Yes.

Beacons and Flyers have the same bodies, just a 6" longer frame and a 6-cylinder engine in the Flyer.

11. squarebird352

squarebird352

looking good, and considering that you dont have other modified continental coupes to go off of, this looks damn good! the chop looks proportionate and sits right! don't channel it! I dig the look of that unique frame!

12. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Done and done. August '73 R&C:
    [​IMG]

Wonder if it was rescued?

13. 32Tudor396

32Tudor396

It takes alot of balls to cut up something that rare!At least it was done by very capable hands.....Nice work!!

14. Nice work!
    Gotta love when you like your job!

16. elba

elba

Do you make your cuts with a cutting wheel or a saw or both ?

NICE WORK

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yep, NICE work. And I was wondering how you got the clean cuts too.

18. josh highley

josh highley

Thank you for all the comments!

Most of my cuts are done with either a cut-off wheel or hack saw. Take my time and make it clean as possible. Tight gaps make it a whole lot easier to weld back together.

19. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Dang, that's a nice looking profile!

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  20. barry2952

barry2952

I'll say.

Had this owner been realistic in what he was asking I'd be having this man make me a Roadster out of this body.

All I really need is a Business Coupe body, Beacon or Flyer, as they were the same. I would remove the 4-door body from my Flyer and preserve it. I'd then have a car I've always wanted, and have the original body for the purist.

Personally, I'd love to build a car that once was, but seems to be no more. I heard from one gentleman that he's been looking for a Continental Roadster for 40 years and has never found one.

Some on the AACA web site are abhorrent that I would cut a car into a convertible, yet they drool on Rolls and other high-end cars that have been rebodied into convertibles over time.

I'm not sure which world I belong in.:confused:

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Barry, not to offend anyone else, but I think you are the only one on this thread who really knows the importance of this wasted opportunity.

22. barry2952

barry2952

My feeling is that it will be rolling down the street sometime in the future. I think I'd rather see it as a tastefully done rod than continuing to rot away on a trailer behind a garage.

I don't consider this a waste.

23. This picture was in the "Vintage Shots ...." thread:

[​IMG]

24. barry2952

barry2952

I don't believe that's a Continental. In 1934 Continental only produced one model, the "Red Seal". The headlights and hood are what make me think it's not a Continental.

[​IMG]

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just keep looking at the chop cut lines, the rear beltline cut is really nice, and will avoid the common midway cut many chops get. I'll remember that when I get to chop another. Bob

26. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure thats a 1934 Willys.

BTW, I just noticed this car has an awsome frame too. Would look great under a highboy

27. 4444Design

4444Design

looks like a cool project

will follwo

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Nope, I don't mean the coupe will be a waste as a 'rod. It's being done well.:cool: But the opportunity to recreate a one-of-a-kind car (the roadster) will have been missed. I just didn't express the point well first time.:rolleyes:

29. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

If the front doors and front clip sheetmetal are accounted for that could be the start of a 5/w coupe or roadster, though it'd be lots of work.