Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1933 - 1936 Willys, picture thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by WillysRule, Dec 5, 2010.

1. 33HEMI

33HEMI

Souza Bros is now in Japan.

loudbang likes this.
  2. elgringo71

elgringo71

33HEMI, Thanks for the update, Souza brothers used to run Freemont back in the day and was for sale in Pennsylvania a while back.

3. 33HEMI

33HEMI

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Wow, it looks great and it's got a lot of cool history

33HEMI likes this.
  5. Wally's Willys

Wally's Willys

[​IMG]

This is my dads 33. He passed away back in February. I have it now! He took the motor out and had the front end raised a bit and built another motor. Now putting it back together.

1947knuck, 33HEMI and 1934coupe like this.
  6. 1934coupe

1934coupe

My condolences to you and family. Nice looking car, there is something that looks different about the car but I can't place my finger on it.

Pat

7. Wally's Willys

Wally's Willys

Thank you! I am just now gathering all of the details of this car. I joined this forum for ideas and help to put it back together. None of the interior is done. I just want to put it together right and the way my dad wanted. He only drove it to the end of the driveway and back. Found that the front end was to low and something about the motor in the picture didn't work so he re built a 360. And raised the front end a little. That is where I am at now. Have all the parts just have to put it all together..When or if you figure it out please share with me!

8. elgringo71

elgringo71

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

10. elgringo71

elgringo71

11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

This was the old Jack Merkel car after he sold it. Now Ron Norman has it and it is completely restored. It was mostly restored by the guy that bought it from Albers & Minnich. It will be at the Melt Down drags coming up along with all Ron's restored and cloned cars.

Pat

loudbang and elgringo71 like this.
  12. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the history on the Jack Merkel 33 image.jpeg

13. NORSON

NORSON

Building a '33-'36 coupe and am trying to find a spare tire bracket to align the rear panel to the floor at the proper angle. Does anyone know if the coupe and sedan are the same? Heres a picture of what I'm looking for. Any leads would be appreciated.
    Norm
    P5220217.JPG

14. I don't remember my coupe having that bracket. In fact I am 99% sure it didn't but that was 50 years ago and I am suffering from an advanced case of Partzheimer's. As I recall it just had a (1/4"?) thick round reinforcing plate in that bump with a couple of studs welded in. Is your car steel? If so, all you need to do is drop the panel in the opening and it should align itself. Oh, and be sure to have the trunk lid installed for up and down alignment.

loudbang likes this.
  15. NORSON

NORSON

I think the one with the welded studs was '36, but maybe the bracket was sedan only. A lot of my knowledge is from the sixties also. Maybe someone else will refresh both of our memories.
    Norm

loudbang likes this.
  16. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe that bracket was for coupes only. My 34 coupe had one and my 36 sedan did not, I believe the reason was the sedan had more strength since the spare tire hung off the entire back of the car where-as the coupe had a small panel that was not attached to the roof or trunk lid for support. In the sedan I kept my tools in that area behind the back seat back which hinged. It was a decent sized space.

Pat

loudbang likes this.
  17. It must be a year of manufacture thing. My coupe is a '36 like you sedan and it didn't have the bracket. They did the major restyling of the front end, moved the location of the gas filler, redesigned the door handles, etc., in '35 and that is probably when they designed out the bracket that was used in '33-'34.

18. rfraze

rfraze

There used to be a yellow 35 or 6 sedan at a shop alongside the highway in Pearblossum, CA that we passed on the way to Palmdale and LACountyRaceway. I took a closer look at it one day and it had one of those spare tire braces in it. Made a mental note, but can't remember if I looked at windshield frame to identify year. No idea where that body disappeared to.

19. I remember that sedan! Always planned on stopping and looking at it. As I recall it was loaded with bullet holes.

20. rfraze

rfraze

That's the one. It was an eye-catcher for the antique (or whatever) shop and was not for sale. I can't believe you could pass by anything that was yellow, especially a Willys.

21. 1933-1935 coupe and sedan up to about serial number 42000 used a spare tire mount bracket. It is bolted through the floor to the crossmembers on the frame. There is no sense bolting it to the floor as it wouldn't line up the rear panel. There is an insulator between bracket and the panel it is not flush to the panel. All 1936 coupe and sedans have a plate attached to the panel as willys36 stated. The studs that pass through the rear panel have a step after the threads so the wheel and tire won't touch the body. Also the floor in the 36's doesn't have the holes for the bracket to bolt to the frame. I lost all memory on my laptop so I no longer have pics to post.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  22. NORSON

NORSON

My thought is the bracket with the "correct" thickness of insulator will give me the correct mounting angle for the spare tire panel. I have most of the layout issues completed and could do without it, but I tend to be anal. I would like to use most of the sedan panel to form the one for the coupe.

23. My case of advanced Partzheimer's.

24. One thing you learn early as a Willys hot rodder; you become an expert bracket maker. My wife calls me 'Bracket Man'.

25. Mike Reinheimer

Mike Reinheimer

The little yellow and green car belonged to my dad Warren Reinheimer in the late 70s we raced at mission and Seattle in pro bracket later Coonrods got it back before we had it it was Twig Ziglers called Frantic.

Sent from my XT1563 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. rfraze

rfraze

Which car? Pic?

27. rfraze

rfraze

King Rat.jpg
    Photo by the Great Videographers and photographers, The Jackson Brothers.

1947knuck and elgringo71 like this.
  28. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

I think he's talking about this pic.
    Ex-Coonrd-Zeigler.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  29. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Here's another I stumbled onto recently.
    10353037_10152514504877461_4454235858795314456_n.jpg

1947knuck likes this.
  30. Mike Reinheimer

Mike Reinheimer

That's it . that's my dad driving at mission by the looks of it.whos got this pic?

Sent from my XT1563 using H.A.M.B. mobile app