Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 1932 Roadster (Old Hotrod) Found **Please Help ID**

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikel50, Feb 4, 2023.

1. Mikel50

Mikel50

Looking for anyone who may have any info or leads on the heritage of the roadster I recently purchased on Cape Cod.
    The car looks like it was built in the 50's, as many hotrods here in Mass were.
    It was owned and stored in Welfleet Mass by a man named John Daniels aka "The Town Weirdo" he sold it after 40+ years of owning it to a man named Tedd Klinefelter from Orleans Ma. Who owned and stored the pieces for the last 10+ years.
    That's all I know at this point... I'm still digging.

As far as I can tell the car had a heavy channel, appears to be 7"- 8" channel w/ the wishbones mounted through the lower cowl sides.
    Lead filled holes, everything smoothed, Door handles smoothed, rumble seat handle, cowl lights and filled cowl vent, also what appears to be 1939 Ford tail lights (cut out w/ torch at some point). I could be wrong about that
    The car was a rumble seat car converted to trunk using 49 shoebox hinges.
    The car early on was a dark red, then painted a metallic white early on in it's hot rod life.
    Many paint jobs to follow after those.
    The car was pink, purple and turquoise later in its life.

thanks for any help..Mike

Attached Files:

2. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

That’s a great discovery! I’m very interested in old Massachusetts hot rods. I hope you can find more details on it.

3. prpmmp

prpmmp

Awesome find!! Pete (restart video from the beginning)

4. jim snow

jim snow

Good get. Congrats Mike. Snowman ⛄️

GordonC and Mikel50 like this.

5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

6. Mikel50

Mikel50

The guy who owned it for the past 10 years had been collecting parts to build the car back into a highboy.
    I won’t be doing that. I will be turning the clock back to 1953 to when (in my imagination) the car was built.
    the frame complete big beam front end (lug nuts to lug nuts w rocky mount drums and wishbone) will be for sale. Including the fenders steering assemblies and Orig seats (front and rumble). I’m only using the body.
    I can’t bring myself to cut a beautiful original frame to make a hotrod. I’m sure people will understand.

Robert J. Palmer and jim snow like this.
  7. Mikel50

Mikel50

Woot woot ! I wonder if anyone noticed I photoshopped myself into the car.

8. Haha I did. But only by like the 3rd time I looked at it.

9. Mikel50

Mikel50

Hahaha. That’s great.

Hitchhiker likes this.
  10. brady1929

brady1929

Congratulations. Color me jealous.

11. Mikel50

Mikel50

Are you for real ??
    The guy was collecting parts to unchannel the car and put it back onto a stock frame and make it a full fendered 32 roadster. Ya know… make the car a “highboy” again.

I posted this looking to see if anyone knew of an old 32 roadster that was dark red or metallic white early on.
    Sure there’s gonna be lots of them.
    But stranger things have happened …. Some guys are still around and or people have photo collections passed down to friends or other car guys.
    who are on here, I know several of them.
    Never once did I say it was a magazine car, nor do I think it was. (You said that)
    Most east coast cars weren’t, however on the east coast there were several cars that stood out enough that people recognize them or the changes that were made to any individual car.
    (I figured it was worth a shot)
    I didn’t post this to get some A$$ hole response from some 61 year old guy in Oregon who feels the need to chew a member out who simply posted a question regarding a car he recently purchased.
    Take your ideology elsewhere, spin someone’s else’s words around to make yourself look intelligent.
    Clearly you’ve got some pent up anger that you feel the HAMB is the place to vent it.
    Why ? I haven’t a clue…

Yours truly …the guy w/the 8” channeled “highboy” deuce roadster.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    47 ford, jimpopper, Xman and 6 others like this.
  12. BJR

BJR

Just let him build the car anyway he wants to, and do away with all the drama.

13. Mikel50

Mikel50

Rude Stude. your words were Extremely Patronizing and it bothered me.
    Ive never had a reply like that to any thread I’ve posted on the HAMB. truthfully. I was shocked. As per my response.
    I appreciate the follow up response.
    However I think the HAMB isn’t what it once was… I think I’ll carry on elsewhere.

thanks. take care.
    mike

Toms Dogs, 47 ford, JimSibley and 5 others like this.
  14. elgringo71

elgringo71

@Mikel50
    Congratulations on getting the Roadster. It looks extremely solid and that’s probably because it was off of the road and stored indoors for so long. That was a great find and hopefully there are enough clues left to help to identify it and someone is able to remember it. Once a car is totally updated there is not much to go by. One idea would be to find some old time car clubs in the area and ask the old timers if they remember it. Another would be to take it on a trailer to a traditional car show where the old timers go and make a sign Looking for information or history. I would sit by the car and talk to people that came by and looked at it. I believe that the Ty-Rods have a good show and they have a website too. It would be a good idea to contact them and see if they would put it on their website to see if anyone might remember it.

http://www.ty-rods.org/history.html

Outback likes this.
  15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I saw your YouTube vid a few days ago, good luck on your quest, and your project. The turquoise immediately made me think of Frank from CT, who posts on here and has an Olds powered '32, in that approximate color.

16. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Very well handled .No need for Name calling. I took it as you looking for a direction to pursue your inquiries into the past. It's a very cool car ,and I hope it stays channeled.Let's get this thread back on track!

rudestude and Joe Blow like this.
  17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Come back, please. The people who talk alot on this forum don`t get the 50`s builds. They think the cars were ugly with crap welds. They used the best tools they had with the skills they learned. They were built outside, not in a big shop. The builds were unique for the area they were in. Not like every other build being built. Build it the way you think it should be built. Good luck on your history finding mission. The best 32 Roadster of all time in my opinion is The Fred Steele`s. He drove it from the east coast to California in 1953. Chopped and channeled. And kept it all those years in the same configuration.

18. I’ve read and reread rudestudes post and subsequent post and I don’t see any patronizing comments .

One of the biggest issues with texting and the like is the lack of “ tone” I could genuinely be interested in what you are saying but use the wrong word or phrasing and come off as an ass or flip side of the coin .actually be gas-lighting you and sound like I care .

and Hamb of yesterday? This is the kinder gentler Hamb .

Anyways I’m of no help with the history of your car but I think it’s dang cool and hope you start a build thread on it .

I like the build your going after and if that’s how it was built originally or not it’s still a period build and I think that’s cool !

19. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, if you think he was being mean, you surely would’ve been crying in the olden days of the HAMB. But I really didn’t see anything to be upset about, and hope you keep us informed on the roadster’s build. In whichever style you want to build it.

20. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Wow ! Cat & dog fight, but then, please don't read too much into my simple-minded comment.

rudestude likes this.
  21. uncle buck

uncle buck

I guess the sarcasm in @rudestude mentioning color variation’s was possibly offensive? I was shocked to read all the colors it was in the short time it was on the road and found a little fun humor in that

22. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

It is always a sign of maturity when your first response is to call someone a name !

23. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Finding the history of a certain car can be a very time consuming process. It could take years before anything at all is found.
    You have to journey back through time and hope you get lucky along the way, and perhaps stumble upon a photo or that particular information that you are looking for.
    You already have a good start with the names of the previous owners. I would start with these former owners and see if there was anyone that knew them, any association with car clubs, or old car shows and events.
    I'm always amazed at the amount of knowledge that is available here on the HAMB. If a member like @rudestude is willing to look through his collection of old magazines and car show programs to help find the history of your car, then this is a very positive step in the right direction. You know, you are going to need all the help you can possibly get and the HAMB is by far the best site to find that information you are looking for.

big duece likes this.
  24. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

My avatar was under my nose since 1956 when first built, after a couple of decades on dirt tracks in & around the Omaha area it wore at least two shades of yellow over its factory black, with a splash of red in there, & lastly robin egg blue, worn thin with bits of all the fore mentioned reclaiming their right to its storied local history. Don't be upset Mike, it's a part of the history & fun that a color change brought to the owner/owners, they I'm certain pumped their chests proud of the new look each created ......Now it's time for you Mike, to pump your chest & express your own magic with yet another coat of many colors !

25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No sense leaving the HAMB...there are a lot of really INTELLIGENT, and FUN folks here that are willing to help.
    (unfortunately, I only fit in one of those catagories)
    crazy-dancing-guy-kitchen-Bernie-1352484758l.gif

26. @Mikel50
    I've been watching your youtube channel for over a year... maybe two... and love it. Really looking forward to seeing this roadster come together. Hope you get some info on the car as it was... that'd be cool.

Cheers,

Glen.

jimpopper likes this.
  27. 57Fury440

57Fury440

I think however you decide to build it that you will end up with a very cool car. I am always amazed at how many paint jobs are put on top of each other on some of these old hot rods. When I was a kid growing up in Brooklyn back in the fifties there was a guy on the next block with a 1930 Ford coupe. He had it fender less and channeled powered by a chevy 265. In a short period, he painted it about 3 times. Each time putting one color over the last.

28. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It doesn't really matter how all of us read what was said and do or don't think something offensive was spoken or intended, it is in how the original poster interpreted what was posted in reply. It offended him. End of story. I for one am hoping you stay and share the cars history and build. It would be a shame for that not to happen considering an apology was offered.

jimpopper, Mikel50 and harpo1313 like this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

30. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

There is a user name to consider----- o_O
    Leaving the clan is just not an option.

Mikel50 likes this.