Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1932 Ford Roadster Hood Fitment

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by AlsopAndSons, May 10, 2020.

1. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

66EE4C33-5DD2-43C4-ABDA-012D7FE9698A.jpeg BF041B1A-EA99-422A-BA07-CDC4A6A89788.jpeg

So over the years of this 90 year old, it looks like the hood has developed a flat spot. During mock-up you can see the gap I have around the rad shell.

Fastening the clamps down helps some, but not good enough. Passenger side is much worse than the driver.

Question for anyone out there - any tips or tricks people have used to get the right curve back into this panel without toasting it. I’m a measure three times cut once kinda person so looking for some sage advice.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. Adjusting the hood can be a lesson in futility, before Dave's 32 pickup was painted we spent several hours removing and adding shims under the cowl and radiator moving the grille shell up, back and forward until we had it fitting perfect.

We took it apart for painting and though it would fit perfectly, nope we spent another few hours adjusting, it just takes a lot of time to get the best fit.

My old beater is close but not perfect. HRP

3. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Gotcha. So you’re saying get it as close as possible, live with the imperfections, tell people it’s original steel, be given the thumbs up in approval. :)

4. BJR

BJR

You can carefully bend it around a torch tank to get the flat spots out of the curved portion.

deuceman32 likes this.
  5. No, if you spend the time you can achieve a ideal fit, we had the hood on and off while adjusting the gaps & fitment on my coupe which is a original car and hood but when I got the car the fit wasn't even close.

[​IMG]

The fitment on my old beater ain't perfect but it's pretty darn good. HRP

[​IMG]

GordonC, kidcampbell71 and deuceman32 like this.
  6. deuceman32

deuceman32

I once had that exact issue with an original 34 Ford hood. I had assembled and fitted the complete, full fendered roadster and then blew it apart for paint. Somehow during the prime/sand/prep/painting cycle, both hood tops got flattened out a touch, and I was faced with shaping them back in with 3 week old single stage on them! This involved a quilt on the shop floor with an oxygen cylinder wrapped in masking paper laid down on it, and two pairs of clean bare hands gradually pushing more curl into one panel at a time, over that bottle, while test fitting to the car.

7. A Boner

A Boner

Pretty good is “perfect”, for an old FORD!

8. CadMad

CadMad

Just above your knee you have a thing called your thigh. Sit on a chair and place the hood over it. Push down with your hands.

9. AlsopAndSons

AlsopAndSons

Good tips guys thanks

10. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, I'd sit across from another guy and hold the thing over our knees. As said, gently bend a little, then check. Bend some more, then check.