The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by x77matt, Jan 4, 2018.
And, in case you didn't notice, Matt's was reman'd in Canada.
With the winter weather looming in Michigan, I decided to get the rest of the paint finished this weekend. Has a few setbacks but overall a good weekend. On the second coat of the gas tank, I discovered the hard way that the cap was cross threaded on the gun and I dumped paint on to the tank. Also discovered the hard way that the rag I used for wax/grease removal must have been contaminated as I had a few fisheyes pop through. On the positive side I figured out how to correct the massive orange peel problem I had with the body. This time I waited 20 minutes in between coats and it was a night and day difference as it laid out way more flat. I think I was rushing the coats before which led to the orange peel.
That laid down really nice Looks good
Looks real FINE.
Looking awesome bud!!
Really nice! Great job.
Progress report- dash was grained by Stuart Lyman and he did an awesome job. Had a chance to get some paint on the inside of the body and get a few things into place- like the gauges....
That dash is way too classy for a hot rod!
Dash is stunning! Love the rest of the build as well.
Radiator arrived, insert and shell mounted. Just fighting the hood right now...
I think your headlights might need a tad of adjustment.
This is an amazing build - every aspect is stunning .
Finally got the hood on and fitting pretty good. Still have to wet sand and polish it, but it’s starting to come around.
Matt...You are now officially in the 'Amazing Business'. Just amazing.
I went back to page 1, just to refresh myself on what it looked like, and what you've accomplished to date. Wow!
He's got it running now, he owes the HAMB an update dammit!
Thanks guys! Mike is right- here we go:
I was having a hell of a time with the ignition. Finally I pulled the pertronix back out (back to points and condenser) and bypassed the MSD. It fired!! I spent a little time dialing it in and set the timing. Then I re-installed pertronix unit without moving the distributor and rechecked the timing. I had to rotate the dizzy about 20 degrees retarded to get back to the same timing I was at with points. Everything I read says they should drop right in with no adjustment- not here! Next step will be to add the MSD 6BTL back into the mix now that I have that sorted and see if I can get it to work.
Video after first start with points and MSD bypassed. Timing is way advanced on this (before I set it with the light).
3 5/16 x 3.75, relived, mild port work with oversized valves, Potvin 3/8 by @Pete1 , skip Haney water pumps, H&H blower, home made blower pulley with fan provision, polished SAE heads, original Stromberg, Mallory YC flat top conversion:
Update from this weekend -first drive went well! Reverse was blocked out, but it turned out to be my shifter adjusted too tight. Also the rear spring was way too stiff so I pulled the top 3 leaves out last night. It’s snowing now so I gotta wait a bit to try it out....
That's awesome, congratulations. I loved your build and think you did a great job your car. It's perfect!
It WORKS !!!! Love the color. I know test drive and all but it's a bad habit to keep your foot on the clutch pedal all the time.
What an awesome build.
Separate names with a comma.