Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1932 Ford 5w Refresh Thread - Closed Driveline T5 now!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CTaulbert, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

Cory I bought a 5 window earlier this year. The plan was to build it with out fenders, but following your build I am not sure. I really like the stance of your car. How does it drive with the F100 steering box? I am trying to keep my car traditional looking but I want to be able to drive it. Thanks for sharing your build.

2. alchemy

alchemy

Why fill the wiper hole?

Runnin shine and snopeks garage like this.
  3. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

I was wondering the same thing. Down here in these parts ya gotta have wipers, plus they come in handy sometimes. Are you planning on some cowl/bottom-of-the-windshield mounted solution? Or just never plan to drive it in the rain? Or RainX?

snopeks garage likes this.
  4. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The F100 box is a great upgrade. I'd recommend talking with Neal Jennings about either a F100 or Hudson box.

markjaramillo likes this.
  5. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I don't think the clearing path of a wiper blade that could fit on the frame would be worth it honestly.

Rain-X clears the whole windshield!

Jeff Norwell, RAZIN CAIN and 32ford5 like this.
  6. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I was never too happy with the tail light placement on the car. I thought they were too low, but I know it was probably done to avoid the structure behind. I targeted the light placement of the Walker Morrison roadster for our roadster, and decided to repeat it again for the 5w.

I started by filling the old tail light holes, cleaning up the welds, then laying out the new placement. The lights basically moved up 5/8", and outboard 3/8". I also moved the license plate up 1" so that it was centered vertically on the panel.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447124839.921238.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447124855.128704.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447124869.849748.jpg

mgtstumpy, 63fdsnr, Hotrodmyk and 5 others like this.
  7. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Digging all of this!

8. You have a point, but relying on Rain-X is great in theory; not that great in practice.

I think you can still get a decent wipe pattern. The car isn't chopped that much.

9. I live in Seattle.....it rains a lot.... Rain-x works for me.

10. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

For anyone who has driven a '32 in the rain, with a stock wiper on an unchopped top (I have).....I seriously doubt you appreciate the wipe pattern that much. It's like looking through a porthole for what does get cleaned by the blade. Back when I had a lowered truck, I drove it for two years without the wiper arms because I thought it looked cleaner. Rain-X got me through all four seasons of the year....and that was my daily driver!

jalopykid likes this.
  11. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Tail lights and tag look great! Details, details!

12. alchemy

alchemy

I drive a stock height '32, and a lot of rain seems to find me. My personal preference is a wiper, as a lot of bugs also seem to find me. When they get cleaned off, the Rain-x comes off too (I've tried it). I guess I'm too lazy to replace the Rain-x frequently.

Love the car, by the way. Except for the missing wiper. ;)

CTaulbert likes this.
  13. I've done both (stock with wiper, chopped with Rain-X). I prefer the porthole over having to reapply the Rain-X in the middle of a downpour. Do I appreciate the porthole sized pattern as much as the picture window sized pattern on a modern car? No. Is it better than nothing? Yes.

14. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

I may have a little tiny wiper but it keeps the mud and bugs cleaned off the windshield. Btw, outstanding work on your coupe!
    sed016.jpg

loudbang likes this.
  15. Post 72 shows a great hood and door fit.

16. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

The body fab is about done, for this version of the car anyway. It'll set on standby until I get time to prime it.

I moved back to the chassis this week. First up was moving that rear crossmember back to match the new axle position. I got it cut out, then repaired it so that it could fit back into the rail channels as it did before. Once that was welded in, I did a mild c-notch to gain some suspension travel back. I finished off the rear rails by step boxing the area locally, in an effort to better distribute the loads during hard jounce events. I shot some epoxy on the bare stuff to seal it up for the time being.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447725164.737693.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447725184.359926.jpg

I picked up some k-member legs from Industrial Chassis a while back, with plans to use them on the other frame that'll eventually end up under this car. Since this thing has evolved into multiple refinements for this version, I decided to go ahead and use them now. They fit great, and are an overall nice product. I had to do a small pocket notch on the left leg to provide clearance to the master cylinder, which was a simple task.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447725391.464949.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1447725405.854580.jpg

17. Stunning Build Cory, thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Drewfus

zkilla396 likes this.
  18. brady1929

brady1929

I love your 5w.

19. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

It is nice to see that you have both a good sense of design and an excellent set of skills. You are a very talented guy.

I love the direction this is going.

20. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks guys.....we'll see you in Austin John!

Drewfus likes this.
  21. hotrod_grmi

hotrod_grmi

Nice Fiver, would like to see it sometime. Catch my Fiver at this years AutoRama will be showing main floor front stage entrance.

22. hotrodgary

hotrodgary

LOOKING GOOD!! Sits perfect.

23. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

I continued working on the frame this week, moving to the rear suspension. I dropped the new torque tube and driveshaft off at a local machine shop to get shortened. I needed to redo the wishbones to work with the longer torque tube, so I picked up another pair of '37-41 bones, and shortened them to fit. Then, I moved onto the shock mounts - before, the car has some P&Js lower mounts, and some huge homemade upper brackets. I wanted to clean it up, and make it more simple this time. I used some 1/2-20 bungs - one welded into the wishbone, and one welded into the frame. The frame bung actually extends all the way to the outside wall of the rail, so it's retained by two welds. The lower is gusseted, so I think overall it will be plenty strong. The rear appearance is pretty clean now. IMG_1417.JPG IMG_1419.JPG IMG_1421.JPG

I also built new front shock mounts as well. The car had some shortened F1 upper mounts, but they interfered with the fenders. The lowers with the typical bolt on via the perch. I wanted to clean up the appearance, so I mounted the shocks behind the axle (like we did on Dan's 3w and Darryl's roadster. For the uppers, I started with some unassembled Welder Series brackets, and thinned them down slightly to tuck the mount closer to the fender. I welded that to a plate that utilizes existing holes in the frame for mounting. It also has a doubler plate that fits inside the frame rail to help distribute the loads out. The lower mounts were simply two tabs welded to the wishbone.
    FullSizeRender1.jpg FullSizeRender[1].jpg IMG_1416.JPG

I've been trying to find a nice plate frame to use with the new tag going on the car, but couldn't come across anything that looked great. I picked up some half round stainless bar, and made one myself. It still needs a little detail work, then a full polished, but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
    IMG_1427.JPG IMG_1428.JPG

24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Very nice build and a beautiful car.
    Good work.
    This is how a 5 window should be built. :cool:

CTaulbert likes this.
  25. Eric1967

Eric1967
    from Union, Mo

Looks good. I like the license plate frame

26. willysguy

willysguy
    from Canada

Very nice work Cory!

27. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Coming along nicely and should work well with the SBC.

28. Very nice work Cory. That is one helluva bandsaw you've got too!

29. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Lynn!
    It cuts through some stuff!

30. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The stars aligned. After talking with Cory & Ashley about the car and realizing that we had the same vision, it made it much easier. I sorta feel like a grandparent watching Cory and Ashley rear the young'un. I'm just as proud of it as they are......

Very nice work Cory!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    CTaulbert likes this.