Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy subframe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper526, Dec 8, 2010.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Her's my latest. I tacked in my main subrails and started taking out wood around the doors. I started putting metal around the trunk opening too. It is amazing how much just this little bit of metal, so far, has tightened up the body. I was able to lower the body and set it on the frame, and boy am I happy with the way it's looking. I am, by far, no expert but anyone with a choice has to go with metal! Please give me your ideas and criticism, I can use it.
    I am also in the process of trying to lower the rear and front end a little more, and make a trans mount that bolts to a crossmember I welded to the frame...we'll see.

Attached Files:

2. CHOP36

CHOP36

Jim that looks great, You are doing a great job.

3. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Thanks guys. I'm gonna add two short leaves, that should give me about an extra 3/8". I'm afraid I'll screw something up if I heat it.....

4. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

OK here's my latest. I fabricated this trans. mount out of 1" square tubing. I think I saw someone do this on a past thread. What do you guys think? Is it junk, or worth using? I also raised the front end about 1/2" by adding to the front leaves in order to get a little extra clearance between the leaf springs and center link.
    I had to put a small patch on the passenger side wheelwell. I saw some really fantastic butt welding jobs on the HAMB and I thought I would give it a try. It's not great but I think it's good enough for the wheelwell.

Attached Files:

5. CHOP36

CHOP36

Jim looks good .Also good on wheelwell

6. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I know it doesn't look like much, but here it is. I put enough metal tubing in the body so I could drop it onto the frame to see how it would set. I think a bigger tire in the rear (it has G 60-15 now) will work and maybe something a little smaller up front.

Attached Files:

7. mink

mink
    from CT

Looking good!

8. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Here's where I'm at. It took a little while to figure out how to patch in the metal that was cut out from the rear of the quarter panels when the body was channeled. Then, because of how the body sat on the metal subframe I made, the rear filler panel I bought was too high, it also didn't have enough arch. So, I had to shorten it, then I cut a bunch of slices, bent it and welded it up to get the curvature right. I also fit in and welded the rear sections of the main subframe. Lastly, I stripped the metal on the body in preparation for "The big haircut". I hope to start that next week. I'm over six foot so I think a 3" chop is all I have the guts for.

Attached Files:

9. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Nice progress .

10. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Thanks George! Well Sunday I had a little time so I bought a roll of 3" tape and wrapped it around where I wanted to chop. Monday I used the lift to put just the slightest upward pressure on the roof and got out the sawzall and went to town. Less than a half an hour later and I was topless! I ground my cuts clean and set the top back down. I was having a little trouble lining everthing back up so I called it a day. Tuesday I started fresh, tacked everything in place. the passenger side A pillar gave me a little trouble and I had to use a 2x4 to persuade it. Welded everything up and here we are. I am glad I chopped the doors with the roof, I think it made it a much easier and quicker job. Now I just have a few touch up welds, like the A pillar were it tapers, and a lot of grinding. I'll also have to weld the door jambs up when I cut the doors loose, but I am very happy. I don't want to jinx myself, but for my first chop this went easier than I thought it would.

11. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Ooops! I forgot the pictures.

Attached Files:

12. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Looks great man. :) I love the look with out the fenders. I know when I did my chop its was like a new car was brought into the garage.

Keep up the good work.

Carl

13. It's looking great. Love the chop! Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.
    Here's some pics of mine like I promised earlier. The panels seem to be lining up pretty good. I have a panel coming in next week to repair the rust on the cowl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  14. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

TFOCH
    Where are you getting your replacement panels?

Carl

15. CHOP36

CHOP36

Jim,It looks great ! You doing it the way i always wanted to do it. Chopped and un channeled.

16. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Thanks guys! You're right Carl, it gave me a little shot in the arm to try and kick it up a notch.
    I'd like to know where TFOCH is getting his panels too. For what it's worth, I got mine at Bow Tie reproductions. It's not bad stuff, but the compound contours and bends aren't that good. I don't think their parts are stamped, I think they are hand bent.
    Thanks Marwyn, I hope you are jealous.

17. I had an ad in the parts classified looking for a panel and a member from the Las Vegas area found a 33 Chevy in the desert. He cut off the piece I needed and shipped it to me. I should get it on Tuesday. I'll PM you his name if you want to contact him.

18. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Here's my latest: I took the rear springs out, for the third time, and had them shortened about an inch and a half. At the same time I threw on two new tires, 165 75 15. The old ones were G 60 15 bias ply, about 35 years old, I sent them to the Smithsonian. The car sits much better now and the tires fill out the wheel well.
    I took off the trunk lid and did away with the old visible hinges and welded up the holes, my welding wasn't pretty, but I'm learning. I stripped the trunk lid and worked some more on the rear filler panel and q'panels. Because this car was originally chopped I didn't have too much to work with, but what is there is pretty solid.

Attached Files:

19. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Looking great! I like the tires and I wish my trunk area was in as good as shape as yours. I have a trunk lid that is to big and very little steel left to weld.

Keep up the good work.

Carl

20. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

MAN... nice work.. mine is a lot rougher then yours, but has given me a good clue on how to approach my repairs....

21. It looks great! Coming along very nicely. Oh, and I really like your garage doors, too!

22. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Don't have too many pictures, but I was on vacation for a couple weeks so in between playing with the kids and working around the house I was able to do a little work on the car. I welded in cowl supports for the floor boards. I took off the driver's side door and started putting metal around the door frame. The hinges were frozen and stripped, so I made the holes slightly larger and will use nuts and bolt, this will also give me some room for adjustment. I swiped the third row seat out of a Durango I have and it fits pretty good, I will at least use it to mock up my pedals and steering. I fit in a new pair of trunk hinges, ordered bear claw latches and plates. Lastly, I took out the front axle and springs one last time, hopefully, and had the springs shortened so that the shackles would sit more perpendicular and less likely to bottom out on the frame.

Attached Files:

23. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

A few more pictures.

Attached Files:

24. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Looking good Chopper. I wish my body was in that good of shape. Now keep the ball rolling.

How does your trunk fit? My trunk is 1/4" wider on both sides and goes just about down to the bottom the body. Like 3"to 4" from the back aprin that covers the gas tank. I think its the wrong trunk lid.

Its a big weekend so make some time for the hot rod.

Carl

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  25. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Worked alot on the driver's door. New hinge pins and bushing and lots of banging, and pussing and pulling. Got it almost perfect... for me , anyway. And I sarted welding in square metal tubing in place of the wood. I also started to mount the radiator. I'm using a fiberglass '32 Ford shell I got cheap. I'm also kicking around the idea of ditching the 400 Turbo (that I just had rebuilt [​IMG]) for a T-10 four speed. That is if I can get my buddy , who has it, to give me a good deal. Since this is the same friend I initially bought this car from, don't you think he should just be a sport and give it to me?[​IMG]

Attached Files:

26. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Looking good. The weather is turning so that will make the garage much nicer.

How does the motor run?

27. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I know what you mean Carl. There were some days this summer I'd come out of the garage looking like I just came out of a coal mine. And smelling that way too!. The motor runs good. I had it going about a year ago when I first got it. Fresh plugs, gas and an oil change, it started right up. Ran it for about 20 minutes, no issues.

28. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Sweet,
    Its like 70 in the garage tonight with the crickets in the back ground. Now that's cool man.

I just finished installing all my shock towers and brackets this weekend and painted the frame tonight. Time to start on the body. Im getting ready to add to my post.

29. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

Cool, I look forward to seeing your pics. Weather is about the same here, but I got three little boys to get ready for school and put to bed. My work will have to wait for this weekend.

30. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

This week I've been working on the driver's door. I had a problem with the door not sitting flush , top to bottom. If the top was flush the bottom stuck out, if I pushed the bottom in, the top stuck out. To correct this I put a pie cut at the center of the latch side of the door and pushed in slightly until the door was flush, top and bottom. I also worked on the hinges trying to get the body lines even. It's not perfect, but I spent a good day on it and I do't think I can get it any better. Any ideas??????
    This week I also cut out a section of the lower left q'panel and welded in a new patch panel. I'm not as good as most of the guys here who bend their own metal so I bought a patch. I think it worked pretty good.
    The rest of the week and Satturday I finished the bodywork on the q'panel and I put in a bear claw latch on the driver's side door. It wasn't as hard as I thought. I wanted to use original exterior and interior door handles so to get past some clearance issues and keep the latch in the best possible location , I relocated the exterior door handle up about 2" in the center of the beltline. It looks like it belongs there. I also used repro '32 Ford handles, they are one third the cost of Chevy's. I'll download some pictures of this stuff tomorrow.

Attached Files: