Register now to get rid of these ads!

1932 Chevy shackles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopper526, Sep 18, 2010.

1. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

I have a '32 Chevy five window and I want to replace the old front, center bolt ,spring shackles with something modern, maybe nylon. Can anyone point me in the right direction? The shackles are 2" bolt center to bolt center, 1 3/4" wide.
    I found a shackle in the Speedway catalog that's 1 1/2" bolt center to bolt center, will that work? Thanks!!

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Maybe !!! The diameter of the bushings also enter into the question. They may or may not work. Old cars had allsorts of bushing sizes in the spring eye and frame end.

3. gear jammer

gear jammer
    from tucson az

if I remember vap has some rubber bushed shackles for early chevys, not sure why you want to change them, they work good if you keep grease in them, I run them on my 31 coupe, front and rear,

4. chopper526

chopper526
    from Phila., PA

The problem is a couple are worn pretty badly. I also thought that an upgrade would be more efficient and reliable. Thanks!

5. Carl5Coupe

Carl5Coupe
    from Buford Ga

Chopper, I replaced my bushing and I picked them up at Ace Hardware. Drove the old out and pushed the new in the greased them up.

6. mink

mink
    from CT

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012