Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930s Ford windshield frame finishes ... How did they come originally?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D-Russ, Jun 1, 2010.

1. xxx

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
  2. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

IN '32 only the roadster, phaeton, cabriolet, and 3w coupe had chrome windshield frames as they were DeLuxe models........standard models such as the 5w coupe, and sedans had painted windshield frames.....not sure about the Victoria......had to be a DeLuxe model? Therefore chromed? Not sure about the Vicky.....

CB

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

DeLuxe cars had chrome-plated windshield frames, standards had painted ones.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

here`s a w/s frame I had powder coated , it was pitted pretty good , I filled the worst pits with JB weld , then had it powder coated with antique silver vein , its not perfectly flat so it hides the imperfections well.

Attached Files:

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

6. LowFat48

LowFat48

check out your local powder coater , they have lots of textures and colors....

7. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

From "The 1932 Ford Book . A Production Chronicle and Restoration Guide" by David G. Rehor , sold by the Early Ford V-8 Club of America . " The windshield frames on deluxe phaetons , deluxe roadsters , cabriolets , convertible sedans and deluxe coupes were chrome plated . All other windshield frames were painted the main body color ."............

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dave, I want to say your Victoria might have had a painted windshield frame and was painted the color of the body.

I personally LIKE the painted frames unless the contrast is REALLY needed and other chrome trim is present. I've also seen black frames on cars with black garnish moldings and no other black on the car. Not a fan. HOWEVER, I think it looks good on this car because there is other black present on the paint scheme:

[​IMG]

I'm not sure the Deluxe cars having chrome windshield frames applied to the Slant Windshield Model A's, or at least the "closed cars".

I generally like contrast with trim pieces. Chrome windshield frames look good. If the pitting is all your worried about, there is probably ways of addressing it if you wanted to chrome it. Investigating this myself right now.

FWIW, I'm painting mine first. I can always have it stripped and chromed. My S/W came stock with a painted winshield so I'm trying to stick to the original scheme it had before I murdered it. But then again, I kept the stock visor panel as well, sooooo... ;):D

9. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

I thought a B-400 was a convertible sedan ?

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! Agreed!

11. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Just checked a friend of mine's correctly restored B-400 and it has a chrome windshield frame........that would seem to be in line with the DeLuxe and Open cars having chromed frames......

Still not sure about the Victoria although I have found plenty of pictures of restored cars and the windshields have the same shape as the standard 5w coupe and tudor sedan but were chromed..........

Go figure......

CB

12. Looking at my copy of the book "Henry's Lady" which has a lot of info on Model A's. Victorias were all 'deluxe' as they had cowl lights. However, the photos in the book all show the windshield frame painted the color of the upper body (if two tone) of body color for solids.

My Vic has the windshield frame, dash rail and interior window moldings painted like the fenders, with only the body, gas tank and hood in the lighter color. Most people think it is a restored car, as even old people today were born after the last Model A was produced.

PHIL

13. hemifarris

hemifarris

'32 B400, Cabriolet and Vicky's had chrome w/s frames.....

14. hemifarris

hemifarris

I just realized that your making your own windshield frame. I believe all model A closed cars had painted w/s frames, including the Victoria. My deluxe coupe and station wagon have painted ones as well. The deluxe open cars had chrome. My tudor deluxe phaeton and my 2 deluxe roadsters are chrome. My roadster pickup is painted because it's commercial......Mike

15. beauishere

beauishere

Hey guys,

This is the type of question that the Ford Barn was made for. Those ol' dudes know their stuff.

Aloha

16. hemifarris

hemifarris

So do I ! ........Aloha

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks great, Dave!