Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1930 Model A Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by billthx138, Oct 18, 2009.

1. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Nice looking Coupe!!! Love the stance and small channel..

2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

Such a clean build so far, keep it up!

3. Nice build.

But those of you who say it "takes balls to cut one up" are stupid. It doesn't take balls, it just takes something to cut metal with. Stop patting yourself on the back for cutting up a car.

You guys who assign some sort of badass status to yourself for creating a hotrod make me laugh.

This isn't directed at you BillTHX138. You're doing great work. I personally would go for an uncut car that's been lowered and hop up the four....but I'd drive yours in a heartbeat too.

4. boutlaw

boutlaw

wow, great looking build, subscribed.....

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

Yeah, I want an update!

6. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

great build. perfect stance.

7. car looks awesome!!
    I just want to say from 1927-1931 there were 4,849,340 built. i dont think cutting up a nice one is all that terrible

8. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

building a fenderless hot rod is much easier than a fendered one. it takes a ton of time fitting everything, it's a lot of work prepping all the parts involved for paint, getting the doors to work, shimming the body. most people who do this sort of thing have pride in their cars, and the work is somethimes done better than it was when it was new. i think alot of us have problems with with comments being made like "chop it" or "yank the fenders!", "the meusems are full!". how do you know? you don't. it is a drag to see so many compleat cars with all the littles part it takes, and all the time it takes to finish one get reduced to another " me to" type of build. no disrespect to the man and his build in this thread. someone said "its easer to build a hot rod from a nice one", of course this is true. but i think that a true lover of cars would say "pass" on certain cars.

9. mercjoe

mercjoe

Gee, I don't know. That was a nice A while all you needed was a body.
    I also love hotrods but that feels like a crime to me.

There's a reply that says the older guys are dying so who will care about restored/original cars, that statement is silly to say the least.

Most people who started hotrodding are underground already. And first of all you don't have to be old to appreciate a vintage car in it's original glory.

Hot Rod Rodney likes this.
  10. A Model Art

A Model Art

Great car! Great way to start your project. I replaced 75% of the body on my all steel roadster. I have a hell of a lot more in my roadster body than $1500.00! The subtle channeling of the body the chopped top set the tone for the rest of the car. Send more pictures.

11. mercjoe

mercjoe

They are not knocking his build but the fact of cutting up an already nice valueable car.

12. mercjoe

mercjoe

Yeah, but only 1/10 from that number were coupes.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You mean like a fully restored one? All of those are EXACTLY the same.

14. billthx138

billthx138

Thanks,

I started my build before I found this site, and cars like Shooter54 are killing me because that was how I originally wanted to build this car but got carried away. I am on the look out for another coupe to do just that. Maybe I'll have to make room in the garage for just that.....

15. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Looks kick ass! Personally I think it's ok to chop original, unmolested stuff. I'd rather have something I dont have to fix before I modify it!

16. which is 484,934......Cut away.....they still aren't rare.....

17. Fenders

Fenders

Bob Hirohata had a 1951 Mercury cut up by the Barris brothers when the car was only ONE YEAR OLD !!

What a terrible waste of a nice car.

He should have waited until it was twenty years old, run down and rusted out, and THEN had the Barris's customize it.
    Might have taken more work, and cost more money, but wouldn't be cutting up a nice nearly new car....

clem likes this.
  18. daddio211

daddio211

It STILL blows me away that guys are bitching about cutting up a car... on of ALL sites, this one! Maybe fordbarn.com is more suited to you "paint by numbers" kind of guys than the HAMB.

Now if someone DID cut up the original Hirohata Merc and take it back to stock THAT would be a shame! Grab the torches and pitch forks boys, we're having us a lynching!

19. 31ford429

31ford429
    from Florida

very nice car keep us posted

20. VSO737

VSO737

VERY, VERY NICE.

¿Are you going to sport a complete HOOD? I would LOVE to see it on the car if you are...............

My '30 build is on a MODEL A frame which was customized to look like a '32. I have pretty much the same pitch from the FIREWALL forward and my frame is extended approx. 5" from the firewall forward soooo we don't exactly have the same build but close in some respects.

You are obviously way ahead of me on the build....................

LOOKS GREAT! Keep up the good work.

21. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

There are still plenty of swap meet A bodies available. It took about 10 seconds to locate a nice one right here on the HAMB classifieds. Patronize your fellow HAMB sellers. No need to destroy an intact original.

22. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Amen miraclepeico

23. kenny g

kenny g

Oh no .Another Boyd C.

24. kram

kram

There's a lot of great stuff going on in this build. I think the car was cool how it was and how it is, just different chapters in the same story.

25. Window Licker

Window Licker

So glad you gut it up, i plan to find a restored car to start with too. great build

Stephen Barrett likes this.
  26. Zombie 51

Zombie 51
    from New York

Wow! Sick build. I just came across it on that unmentionable auction site and damn I want it!!! But double damn, I'm just not in the market for it right now.

27. Up for auction?!?! Oh no Mr. Bill............say it isn't so!!!!

You're breakin' my heart here.

28. Saw that too.....It would be mine if I had the cash.

29. Find a rich relative to fund it for you.;) I visited with Bill when he was still in Vegas, it looks even better in person, he's lavished much attention to detail on it.