Register now to get rid of these ads!

1930 Chev Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Miss-B-Haven Speed Shoppe, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Is there anyone out there that has built a 1930 CHEVY sedan "50's -60's Nostalgia style" low budget hot rod? I am currently putting one together and was wondering if I could get some pics? I have grown up in a family of racing and high end street rodz, and am trying to build a ground up budget car that I can use as many original parts, and anything else will be from the 50's and 60's. I have chopped the top 7 inches, channeled it 3, it has an early 283 60 over balanced and blue printed, a 2 spd powerglide, an early 50’s chev pickup front end, that I converted to a transverse spring hidden in the new front crossmember, and by making my own bat wings and radius rods, and using the two original front parallel leafs to make one transverse. I have used a 1957 chev pickup rearend, 1935 chev pickup wheels, and
    I have alot of ability and resources, but I can not find a early chevy sedan that has been done because of all the wood in them. Once the wood rotted away the cars were scrapped. I have redone the structure with steel, and am in the process of boxing the frame. Here are a few pics of my current project. Like I said this is a low budget ride, not a trailer queen. I want to build a cool ride and teach my two boys the skills that I learned from my grandfather who was a custom car builder back in this era. I just gave up my racing career to build a car that my whole family could enjoy, and not just dad. Any pics would be great.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  2. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Welcome! I would assume it would be very similar in fashion to doing a Model A. There are not a shortage of them here. (including myself). Hell, at a glance they look identical. Is there anything specific your wanting pic.s of?

3. VanHorton

VanHorton

looks like your on the right track dude! its got a good stance and the chop looks good too. like model-a-fan said, you could look to Model A tudors for inspiration too, they look a lot alike...

4. I am trying to figure out how to mount the original head lights and some
    shocks to the frame, and still clear the steering mount to the king pin bracket. I am also trying to figure out who makes slip in mufflers, or baffles for a set of Lake pipes that I want to build from scratch. (3 1/2 cone) Here is a pic of the front end with the head lights sitting where I am trying to figure out how to mount them.

Attached Files:

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow, that sedan is pretty Rad. I'm building a '31 Chevy coupe on ford rails but that make me think twice. Keep us updated, I'm definitely going to follow this one.

6. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Do you have a pic. of your frame? Mine are mounted off the frame with home made 1/4" flat stock. The P.O. did an excellent job fabbing them.

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Here's the best pic. I have on hand.

Attached Files:

8. Welcome to the 'I own and early 30's GM and hate wood' club

Looks like you got a good start, but i don't see the parallel leaf springs in the front??? what gives, your building a chevy, not a ford right? haha just fucking with you...

9. PoPo

PoPo

is your axle turned around so your steering is up front? I am curious, I have a dropped axle in my truck and my tie rod is in the rear. I am totally confused. I did just wake up from a nap, so it might be part of that but was that part of the custom pieces to use that axle?

and to help out, I love the chop and the vision. I am a chevy guy through and through, I love pre war Fords too but I really want to build a 30s chevy and you my friend are on the right track!

Keep it up

10. here's an older body that's been sitting for awhile, it's for sale
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. to Po Po
    I cut the steering arm off, and unbolted the tie rod brackets and reversed them.
    to PBRmeASAP the parallel leafs were combined to make one transverse, because I didn't want the suspension showing, so I hid it in the front cross member.

12. Ok so here is some more pics of the old Chev taken a couple of days ago. I pie cut the rear frame rails, and made a four inch step out of them. I have also welded in the motor mounts, and the transmission crossmember. I was in the process of the motor rebuild, and am putting in new seals in the tranny, so I have not done too much to the frame. I am currently boxing it, and I changed the rearend out to a 67 posi 3:73 out of a pickup. The 57 was a little to narrow for the stance that I have acheived and still have travel. The car now has 5 inches of suspension travel, and kept the same look.

Attached Files:

13. Gusaroo

Gusaroo

My dad has a 31 chevy sedan. Its more street rod than "nostaligia". The parallel leafs sure do make it tough to get the stance right. Hes got a huge drop axle and its still a little high. I think he could move the axle above the leafs, but that would give it almost no travel. Hes got a vega box in it.

Heres another string with some pics:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311082

Keep those old chevy's going!

14. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

how much did you chop the top on your 30 chevy miss-b-haven

15. It is chopped 6 1/2 inches, and channeled 3.