Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1929 NASH FRONT BRAKE DRUM REMOVAL

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sport fury, Nov 21, 2018.

1. sport fury

sport fury

I am trying to remove the front brake drums from a 1929 Nash. the drums appear to be riveted onto the hubs. need to know how to remove these brake drums.

2. sliceddeuce

sliceddeuce

Drill through the rivets.

3. @F&J will know ... has a beautiful Nash in his stalls. Hi Ho Silver !!!

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. F&J

F&J

Mine is a 32 with wire wheels, and those were riveted. I did have to remove the rear drums to be used on a rear end swap. Grind the heads off, and press them out, but support the back side with a deep socket. It will go better, and also not bend the hub flange or drum center. (if you just hammer them through without a support).

sport fury and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Drums rust to the shoes. Use the acetylene/oxygen torch to heat the drums all the way around. Tap on the drums with a hammer to vibrate the rust loose. Cast iron drums can break so tap. Don't hammer too hard. Repeat the process as needed and use screwdrivers to pry the drum away from the backing plate. Unbolt the brake shoes anchor pins. If you must destroy parts to get it apart, destroy parts that are easiest to replace.

6. alchemy

alchemy

You have tried to take the large nut off the end of the spindle, right? Are you just taking apart for a service, or does the drum need replacement?

F&J likes this.
  7. sport fury

sport fury

just need to separate the drums from the hubs. I can remove the hub brake drum assembly. to remove these rivets. thanks. I found a source for the front bearings and seals if I find I need them.

8. sport fury

sport fury

which side of the rivet is easier to grind off. I have a 5 ton arbor press. I hope the brake drum hup assembly will fit into it to press out the ground off rivets

9. F&J

F&J

It was over a year ago, but I'd bet I ground off the outer, or outside of the drum face, as it is easier to get to with a 4.5 grinder/cut off disc.

Press is best, but...You could use a heavy hammer with a flat nose drift, but use the socket under each one you hit. Do it on something really solid to get it going.

sport fury and tb33anda3rd like this.
  10. sport fury

sport fury

thank you

F&J likes this.