Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 Chrysler 3/W Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 340 Power, Sep 27, 2014.

1. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Wow all the parts look great! You are on your way! Gary

2. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

My son and I will have that hemi on an engine stand trying to get it running before next weekend. Wont be too long and we will have it sitting in the frame for mock up.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

This is what we found after taking all the tin off. Looks like some old farmer cut the back out and bolted a truck bed in there. No shortage of fab work here!!!

Attached Files:

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  4. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Short day at work today so I got home early and found my sons stuck the Hemi on an engine stand and started by pulling a valve cover. It was actually pretty clean. We then drained the oil and pulled the oil pan. Found a bit of sludge (from aging oil I assume) but not too bad. I think we will pull the pump for a thorough cleaning.

We then pulled a rod bearing cap. With numbered rods and caps I can only assume this motor has been rebuilt atleast once. We found the bearing and crankshaft lobe for the number 1 cylinder to be in very good condition. Actually it's good enough to put it in the car as is if the top end is acceptable. It's that good as far as we can tell. The next step is putting it on an engine run stand to get it fired up and then some compression testing to see just how good it really is. This day sure ended on a high note :)

5. notaford1

notaford1
    from webster ny

Yes it does..I just can't tell if the ones in the picture does

6. Nope...it doesn't.

7. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you keep your Mopar tube, make sure you don't fall for split wishbones or hairpins. Tubes don't flex, and only work with 4-bar setups. Posies' super slide springs would really make that old Mopar float down the road. Dual elliptics were standard equipment on nearly everything but early Fords. Henry was just archaic. Good luck, Bud.

340 Power likes this.
  8. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I was thinking of just putting the leaf springs under it to keep it mopar. I am however worried the ride will be terrible. I will keep the posies in mind. Thanks for the info.

9. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The UPS guy dropped this off at my house today. I'm not gonna get many chores done around the house the next couple days :)

Attached Files:

10. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

That is a cool car for sure! Your gonna get tired of people asking if it's a Ford, lol.

I can't imagine the parts sources you'll be diggin up? Fabricating a lot or do you have the front clip?

11. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

All I have is what you see in the pics. There will be a huge amount of fabrication As well as a massive search for some parts.

My one son is currently building an English Wheel to help with fabrication.

I am hopeful the Desoto Hemi keeps the Ford comments to a minimum. No offense Ford guys, I am just a Mopar guy. :)

12. midnightrider78

midnightrider78

Although I am not generally a Mopar guy, this seems that it will be a really cool build. I am anxious to see pictures of your progress.

13. Very cool build, cant wait to see more and it seems like you're moving right along.

14. chickenshift

chickenshift

The rear quarters actually look better then I thought they would

15. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

At this point they are what they are. Atleast what is there is pretty solid. My son has built an English Wheel to help repair whats left.

I havent done anything yet due to needing a concrete floor in the pole building where it is gonna stay but Its almost ready to pour so it wont be too long and the work will begin.

16. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

For now I am gonna study a bit. Only downfall I see to this book is it cant help with the parts I have to find :) 1414451485276.jpg

17. chickenshift

chickenshift

I have that same book! I have a few other production/history books. I will see if I can find any info / pics of the
    Rear bustle.

340 Power likes this.
  18. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

looking forward to your progress fellow Mopar guy!!

340 Power likes this.
  19. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

Over the past month I have found myself straying from all the work that lies ahead with this car. As rough as it is, it has been a nightmare just trying to get an idea where this car is headed as far as the type of build to give it. This problem lead me to start looking around at other available cars to build. So after selling my too new to talk about here car, with a very high performance 340 4 speed, I went shopping and bought 2 cars in three weeks.

Attached Files:

20. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

The first is a 29 DA6 sedan. This car has a completely restored frame and drivetrain. I basically bought it to flip to help finance other projects. My plan was to part out the drivetrain, fenders and suck keeping the frame and body for another build. After getting it home we found it is only a few parts from being complete and too nice to destroy by parting it out.
    My second purchase is a 31 ( I believe) Plymouth coupe. The Plymouth is a lot better car than the dodge coupe this build thread is about. It came with fenders front and back, grill and shell from a 32 and I even got a hood and side panels.
    It now looks like the Plymouth will make a lot nicer resto than the Dodge. I have discussed my options with my older sons ( who got me into this old stuff) and I think this build thread is going to turn towards building a vintage style dirt track car. I will then start a new project thread for the Plymouth since it will most likely be built ahead of this car. My thoughts are to put my 291 Hemi in it, and find another larger Hemi for the Dodge. Thoughts?? Ideas??

21. The '31 Plymouth business coupe would definitely be an easier and cooler car to finish.

22. noboD

noboD

And the sale of the DA in pieces could pay for some of it.

23. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I always liked Plymouth cars more than Dodge for some reason. When I saw the coupe I knew I had to have it. I really like the body lines, and especially the rear window.

24. There are only a few makes that had the cool, oval rear window. The best thing about it is that some 1931 DeSoto and 1931 Chrysler sheet metal parts interchange.

340 Power likes this.
  25. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I am just hesitant to tear apart an almost complete car. All the really hard to find parts are on this car. It's really only missing the rear shocks, 2 pieces of glass, and an oil filter that was optional when new.

26. noboD

noboD

Good for you on the restraint. IF you decide to part it I need an outside door handle with the lock.

27. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

I will certainly keep that in mind.

28. 340 Power

340 Power
    from NW PA

That should ceetainly help considerably. Once again your knowledge of great use :)

29. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I almost bought your 29 Dodge, but I drug my feet long enough that you bought it instead. It was just screaming "old dirt track race car" to me, but would have built a street version of one, had I bought it. I hesitated because I was concerned I would find exactly what you found, and I'm not sure I'm ready to take on another major project like that, right now. My 48 was in similar condition when I started on it.

My 48 Plymouth coupe has been a blast done up as an old race car, and I would love to do an older late 20s-mid 30s coupe version. Some day, maybe. Good luck with your projects, that Plymouth coupe looks like a great starting point for a cool ride. Gene

30. 73RR

73RR

...nothing better for an early Mope than an EarlyHemi to push it around!