Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 chevy full sheet metal kit car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31ratcoach, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Jeff help me out - I don't see a pic from '61.

2. The 32 IS my dads since 59....soon to be mine....

Tony....here's my baby....

Attached Files:

3. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

PBR how much pain was it installing the 4 speed behind the nailhead,? what year is the Buick motor? I bought one Sat and i think it's a 63? will know for sure when the snow melts so I can get in the field to retrieve it,thanks

4. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

anybody got a shot of there front end i wanna see some grill setups im getting a stainless steel on and a regular steel one from a 30 chevy just wanna see how they fit in stock location and what the look like in a different setup

5. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I like it.This thread has had alot of good Gm stuff in it.I hope it stays on top for a while.

6. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

my dad and i have 4 chevys that we are workin on. his 55 2d series, hes got all the parts to make it pretty, just slackin, and workin om my 31 with me. my 53 4dr had it since high school wanna do some stuff to it but i gotta finish my 31. and a 54 parts car that if it dont get sold soon i'm gonna tear into it and leave my 53 original.
    we love bowties

7. were the same too....chevy family only....dad's collection 31 cabrolet, 32 5 window(soon to be mine) 34 master, 38 5 window, two 63 vettes, two 66 big block impalas....

me, just my 31 truck, 54 belair and a few 70's ot cars....

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

I'll see if i can locate some pics for ya...ghost

9. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

hey rat coach you wanna share the wealth with all them grilles dang. haha i'm usin a 31 ford grille and tail lights, this 70 year old man gave em to me, among a few other parts that are worth alot more than free. so... even though its ford stuff i feel like i should use it. and shit.. its free.

10. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

well im gonna use only one of the grills i accumulated im thinking im gonna go with the stainless grill and i might do sompthing custom with the spare and if i like it keep it if not sell it who know ill keep you in mind brassnuckles when i decide what to do with the spare

11. Ghost28

Ghost28

Allright guys I getting ready to set the motor in the 28 delivery. Is there a kick ass motor mount assembly that you can purchase to make it easy. Or should I fabricate my own, and what did you guys do. It will be a 400 small block with a turbo 350. keep in mind, i'll have a complete hood with sides so every thing has to tuck inside THANKS IN ADVANCE...ghost

12. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

i went junk yard digging today and found alot of model t parts and i meen alot ive got several front end assemblys an radiator original wood spoke wheels,running boards,original gaskets in the box with in structions dated from in the 30's ,i got complete rear ends, spare axels for banjo rear ends, rims, and i even got some other parts i cant identify anybody help me with it im sure the most of it is ford but not sure ,if anybody need model t stuff i probaly got it ive even got un installed cranks for the 4cylinder motor ,im not a ford guy but i imagine ford parts will sell nicely to build a bad ass chevy , i attached photos of the items i can identify please help so i can sell this stuff

Attached Files:

13. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

i know what the items are just not what they came off of and they are all for sale

14. [​IMG]
    This is the Prettiest set of sidepipes I've ever seen on a 30's Car...!

15. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Ghost, I perfer to use the motor mount style that uses an old style, say 62-66 Chevy mount, the biscuit style vibrates too much I think. You can make your own or look at the Pete and Jakes catalog for a 35-40 Ford and you might check with Speedway they may have something similar. 400Cu.In. huh? hope you have a big radiator, the one I had in a 33 Ford .020 over, it was a heater I ended up removing the hood sides most of the year, It had 10:1 compression with iron heads.
    You might be able to see the MM set up on my 31 it's a crossmember that uses a old style Chevy mount I think this was from Speedway

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  16. Ghost here is a pic of the ones that I made, I believe that you can buy similar ones from speedway just not as long as these. A friend of mine that owns Yesterday's Rides builds the shorter ones and I think sells them to speedway, so you might take a look. They use the original 60's car rubber mounts that are like $8.00 at your local auto parts. They also give you plenty of clearance for headers inside the rails if you want. I was thinking of it, but then decided on fabbing my own baffles and running open Lakesters.

Attached Files:

17. Here is another pic, without the motor just the chassis.

Attached Files:

18. 31ratcoach

31ratcoach
    from rolla

anybody got any ideas on the parts i have came off of

19. Ghost28

Ghost28

The headlight trim ring looks like 37 or 38 ford. The door handle looks like model a thats all I got...ghost

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  20. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

hey ghost, i built my own mounts, wasnt hard at all, but then again i dont have the luxury of buying mounts really. 50 olds got some funky mounts.

i was gonna post a pic but i cant find it anymore

21. thebrassnuckles

thebrassnuckles

god damn that shits pretty. i'd like to run pipes like that but my 31 is channeled so.. i wouldnt be able to open my doors, unless i ran them on the ground almost

22. Ghost28

Ghost28

Well... I set the motor about noon colorado time. got it leveled and placed where it needed to be. then I decided what the heck might as well keep working on it. started on the motor mounts, and again thanks for the info it helped in my decision to make them. after they were done I started on the transmission mount, but did'nt finish it. then built frame tubing that caps the top of the frame but is welded to the body structure. I will drill through these, and weld nuts into the top of the frame, and bolt the body down. most mounting points will be hidden from view but still easy to get to. I'll sleeve the top channel so it wont crush when you tighten the body down let me know what you guys think good or bad...ghost

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  23. Ghost28

Ghost28

Hey ratcoach are you gonna list that ford stuff in the hamb auto parts classified? it might sell...ghost

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Hey Ghost. I like them mounts, look hell for strong.

25. Ghost28

Ghost28

Yea probably over kill but that is the big heavy thing, and I dont want it to fall out thanks ...ghost Oh by the way I liked your article on welding very informative thanks again

26. jerseymike

jerseymike

hey ghost, what kind of chassis are you running? can't really tell from pics. if it's stock what are you doing about front suspension? great job on all work so far! mike

27. I'm glad to see ol' Chevy stuff showing up, a lot of good information for my roadster.
    Thanks

28. There are a LOT of 30's Chevys out there .

Attached Files:

29. Ghost28

Ghost28

The chassis is the stock 28, took out the useless cross bracing, then boxed it front to back. will replace most bracing as needed on the build. Kinda became a chevy traitor for the front suspension gonna use a speedway 1 inch lower 32 ford crossmember, w/ a 4 inch drop super bell axle, hair pins, vega box for cross steer. We have this setup on my son-n-laws yorkster and it works fine thanks...ghost

Attached Files:

30. jerseymike

jerseymike

thanks ghost, great pics and info. i was thinking of the same for mine. i think the stock setup looks like it belongs on a truck not a fenderless car. i was also thinking of splitting and widening the cowl and firewall enough to channel the body over the stock frame. figure this will also add some extra foot room around the trans tunnel. still just in planning stages, i'm in the middle of building a chopped 50 ford. thanks, mike