Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 Model A AR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ty johnson, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ty johnson

ty johnson

I work at a Ford dealership. A local wholesaler turned me on a lead for a 1928 Model A Tudor AR. I called the lead and have a time worked out and a starting price. My thing is that it's suppose to be one of the first Model A's sold at our dealership. Have no paper work to prove it though. The guy said his great uncle bought it off the show room floor. What are these rare cars actually worth? It's all intact. Has not been started in 20+ years. Hardly no rust at all. Been garaged for the last 50 yrs. I'm actually wanting a Coupe, and all i find here are sedans.:mad:. I've read some posts of the past and mostly are about "To hot rod or not".

2. Fenders

Fenders

3. 117harv

117harv

Asking this question on the Ford Barn will probably give you a better idea of worth as they are mostly restorers. The early A's have alot of parts that are different, many are worth some $$$.

4. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

The AR is a early model A. You will find some of the parts on the car are carry over Model T parts. Those being items that could be used on the new model. Some subtle difference is that the AR had a red steering wheel rather than the black. The end bolts on the bumpers are unique to the AR only. The brake handle is not on the trans but rather on the drivers side kick panel. The generator is the Model T short pancake type not the traditional long generator. The Model A Ford Club of America (MAFCA) has great info site for this type of information. They are not necessarily rare just unusual for the use of A and T parts together.

5. The "AR" designation covered some period of time. What is the engine number on the car? If it is low enough that could drive the price. If it is properly restored the AR would probably carry a premium but I am not competent to say how much. This would be a good question with photos for fordbarn.com.

Charlie Stephens

6. I don't believe, other than the air in the tires, that any T parts were used on the ARs. The "powerhouse generator" was unique to the AR and was not similar, in any way, to the the T unit. The wheels may have been the same as the T wires, I'm not sure. The later 21" A wheels are different. It's been so long since I owned an A that I've forgotten a lot about them. The ARs also had a multi disc clutch which proved troublesome

7. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

There are many unique things about an early 1928 AR Ford. From what I have found the AR's as they are known were built prior to June 1928. Some of the unique things are Parking Brake on left of drivers seat. ( like a model T ) , smooth ; not ribbed; brake and clutch pedals, red steering wheel.

Quoted from Fordbarn

8. Weasel

Weasel

Red steering wheel was feature on most 1928 Model As - not just ARs. I had a red wheel - original to my 1928 Special coupe and it was not an AR....

9. You couldn't ask for a better description. HRP

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

AR is a parts book code for "Replacement" or second series part. When the A first came out they quickly upgraded parts that were not up to par. The Model A people don't use the AR term, it has been replaces with Early 28. Ford Barn people will have all the answers. Bob

11. "AR" is a bit of a misnomer...there were variations even among the early (or AR) model A's. The earliest have a solid front motor mount (timing cover bolts directly to the front cross member), lack a separate lining for the e-brake, and use drums and wheels that do not interchange with later Model A's. I have a June 1928 chassis with a mix of early and 'later' features; solid motor mount, standard brakes & e-brake in the normal position.

Your best bet is to consult the Ford Barn or visit www.fordgarage.com

12. Actually, that is a poor description. The early "A" shares nothing with the Model T.

13. Uptown83

Uptown83

AR front fenders are a little different. Also they could of had a red distributor cap along with the red steering wheel. AR's are neat because they throw a little twist to a car that were all the same. There is a bunch of little differences but only purist care about. My brother built an AR phaeton.

14. ty johnson

ty johnson

My 28 i have now, i thought was an AR. But it doesn't have the cut area for the E-brake by the drivers cowl area, but it had a solid mounted motor? Thanks for the info guys, can always count on ya. I'll post up pics when i get it home.

15. When Ford made the change to the updated parking brake system (May 1928), the hole in the toe board was covered by a small plate (see below). The lack of a left hand brake lever and the presence of the solid front motor mount points to a manufacture date between May and November 1928 (serial # 160xxx - 585xxx)

[​IMG]

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^ Thanks, that cover is a feature I never knew existed. Can you tell me if there is an early and late '28 cowl? I read somewere that the Dry Lakes or Bonneville racers used one or the other for a better aero deal. I've never seen photos that show the differance, if in fact there is any. Thanks. Bob

17. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

As with most things Ford, except for major engineering changes, other small stuff was used until it was used up on the assembly lines. There was of course a separate replacement parts stock which was distributed amongst the Ford dealers of the world.

18. The early 28 cowl has a small step down for the hood lacing (about the same width as the lacing), while the later cowl has a much wider step down. Not sure it would make that much difference, but on the salt an advantage is an advantage I suppose. Will try to find some pics.

19. Here we go; here's the 'step down' on the early cowl...about as wide as the hood lacing

[​IMG]

And the much wider step on the later cowl...[​IMG]

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks! Early one is on a closed car, later is on an open car. I wonder if there was any differance in the early vs. later "Coupe Pillar" on the open cars? If it stuck out less on one is would give an aero advantage. Bob

21. Bob, check post 19...let me know if those came thru.

22. Lots of good info here. My rpu is an AR, if the closed cars are similar the build date should be stamped on the upper firewall, driver's side. Also, in the cross rail just in front of the driver's seat is a stamping combining letters and numbers. The letters are a code for the factory in which it was assembled (you can find a key to these codes on line). The number is the number of the car coming out of that assembly plant.

23. Not sure I'm well educated enough to help on that...I just know a little about the AR primarily because I ended up with a June '28 (late AR) chassis for my T RPU project.

Here are some detail images of an early A roadster;

Attached Files:

24. Hate to keep posting, but here's the best comparison I can come up with...

Medium blue car is a 28 with the early cowl (first photo illustrates the cowl - hood lacing area). Light blue car is a 29 (later cowl)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. ty johnson

ty johnson

Wow, lot's of info. My car also has the cowl with the thinner lacing channel. Need to look for the cover for the brake lever. Mine has a serial of 153xxx though. Just looked, it does have the cover for the lever.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  26. Very cool, serials 153000-153999 were made on May 25, 1928.

27. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, pretty much what I understood. But, is the lefthand brake lever the same as a T brake lever?

All this resto talk is making the HAMB look like the Ford Barn. :)

sko_ford likes this.
  28. kb cookout

kb cookout

The early "AR" have alot of different sheet metal design changes ,

grills have holes were the hood lacing loops thru instead of being riveted,
    hood side louvers run on a angle from the side seam,
    front fenders are shaped different near the apron seam,
    running board aprons, have no hump for the brake levers, and get narrow at the rear
    rear fenders on coupe and roadster have a cut out shape "duckbill" on the back side
    sedan rear fenders are round on the bottom edge instead of being flat like late fenders

later kb

29. 117harv

117harv

The front brake actuators have a tapered shape as seen in the blue car above. Round back spindles, steeing arms are different, the wishbone is thin at the axle mount and lighter weight, the backing plates, spring perches...etc. I never knew about the cowl differance.

30. Nope. Same location, different part