Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Model A, A-V8 or 153ci Chevy II motor? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by VinnieCap, May 22, 2018.

?
  1. Flathead

69 vote(s)
    57.0%
  2. 153ci

52 vote(s)
    43.0%
  1. sunbeam

sunbeam

2. Almost everything that wears out should be available over the counter since there was a great deal of commonality with the 6 and 8 cylinder engines beginning in 1962. Try a wanted ad for the parts you can't buy new like the oil pan. Anything else you need? I will keep my eyes open at swap meets and get back if I find anything. I am running a 181 inch version in my AVATAR.

Charlie Stephens

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Think Clifford makes a four battle intake and a header, that’s the only aftermarket one I’ve seen.

Though if you hunt threw boat stuff omc ran them with dual carbs on a neat looking manifold.

The port spacing for exhaust is exactly the same as a sbc so you can make a lot of different headers work with a little effort.

It’s most of a 250 6 so all the rods pistons and etc carry over. So look up that stuff and the. Only put in 2/3 rd’s of them lol.

Seen some bbc cross overs with rockers and Comp cams and I think isky make cams for them.

12bolt.com sells side plates valve covers and lump ports for the heads as well as pre worked over heads.

The mercruiser of the same size has a cool finned side plate and a finned valve cover that fit as well.

I want to say a few places make distributors for them but they aren’t often listed in the catalog. It’s gonna be one of those call and ask deals.

They raced them in dirt midgets in the early 60’s so you can find full race stuff on eBay a little easier than general hot rod stuff.

Saw a hillborn mech fuel Injection set up on eBay not that long ago for one and it wasn’t much cash at all relative to what they’d run for most engines.

4. fortynut

fortynut

My thoughts on small displacement engines is, having owned and ridden a hopped up bobber Triumph in my youth, extra horsepower can save your katooskiss by letting you control the situation though acceleration. Also smaller displacement engines at Freeway speeds are in more stress and the parts are operating at the limit of their horsepower band. I leave these thoughts to the OP and others who are thinking of building a rod. The A Model I am building will have more than adequate displacement. Because, like they say there's no replacement for displacement. To the tune of No Business like Show Business!

5. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

@fortynut

My thinking has been that flathead v8’s make less hp and don’t like near as many revs. And there seems to be plenty of flathead guys that seem to be happy with them?

That being said gearing is absolutely everything if your actually going to drive it places

6. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I have a EFI 2.8 v/6 chevy eng in my 27 roadster. Has plenty of power, and drives nice. Not a drag car, a fun car.

.Probably a 500 dollar eng and trans.

I'm building a couple of f/h for a A V/8 and let me tell you it's expensive.

7. fortynut

fortynut

I have a WC 5 speed for my A & am using the poor man's quick change, a 9" Ford rear end. Like the old cop said in The Untouchables, "You don't take a knife to a gunfight." I like to drive my stuff every day, and keep up with Freeway/Interstate traffic. When I was a teenager I drove a Forty Coupe with a built Flathead. Now I am an Old Man, you'll have to pry my Small Block Chevy out of my cold dead hands. Even if obsolete, there are more variations possible for the budget builder than ever before. Problem with V6 is vibration, and the fact it has two different positions on each journal of the crankshaft to solve that. I ran one in a pickup and it only really made power if you buzzed it. And, still not enough variety in aftermarket parts. A straight six is another matter altogether. Gene Sissell proved that. Where I live half the people here drive like they're racing in NASCAR, and most of the rest like the demoloco derby. You gotta hump it or bump it. The accelerator is your friend, and your brakes part of your insurance policy. Grrrr.

8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

You are right about some of the problems. The V/6 in mine is smooth ,weighs 1500 lbs and is dead reliable. I drive in daily traffic and it keeps up with the flow. Not my choice ,as I bought it with this set up, but works well.
    I might have just a knife but used right it gets the job done. Yes the Chevy is a great eng, just not for all applications.

9. fortynut

fortynut

Vinnie it was never my intention to hijack your question with my views. I apologise if it is needed. I sometimes preach the gospel of survival of the fastest and lay on the hell-fire and damnation bit a little thick. You have a beautiful car. However you build it, you have a jump start ahead of many. I come from the time of bootlegger cars. If they didn't run like a scared rabbit, you didn't just loose a race. Whatever you do, make it yours.

Tim likes this.
  10. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Fortynut, that's fine... all opinions are welcome. I like really the different setups people are using. I'm still going to use the 153ci, but will probably do the car in stages. Starting with juice brakes, then moving on from there.

11. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

Anyone know who sells parts for Chevy 153 4 cylinders? I am looking for an oil pan, rear sump.

12. I modified a 250 pan

[​IMG][​IMG]

48fordnut likes this.