Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1928 Chevy with Chrysler engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GraeffSS, Nov 27, 2017.

1. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

This project is a homage to my grandfather, who passed away earlier this year, he was a big fan of late 20's cars and speedsters, and built 2, one Ford and one Chevy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The Ford is still in the family, but the Chevy was sold years ago to a local museum, my grandpa wanted to build another Chevy, but this time with a Flathead 6 out of a combine he knew of, about 2 years ago my father went and bought the engine (and also found the 261 Chevy we are using on our father/son truck), the engine turned out to be a Canadian Chrysler Industrial 236.
    [​IMG]
    Being an combine engine it has a tractor style exhaust manifold (pointing up), water got in the exhaust and into cylinders 3 and 6, as a result the engine got stuck, the intake heater got destroyed and #3 and #6 combustion chambers have severe pitting (but the cylinder walls surprinsingly don't)
    [​IMG]
    The picture above is from the 3 rearmost cylinders, notice the fluid in #6, we tried to pour different things to see if we could get it unstuck, it all went through the rings, except for #3 and 6

We decided to take the valves out, and actually the engine was kept from moving because of the valves, we took them all out and the engine spun free... , after seeing that the engine was not completely stuck and could be used we removed the oil pan (to check the bearings), at this point other projects got in the way and we still haven't removed the caps.
    [​IMG]
    This is the crankshaft, the crankcase is full of this "wet dirt", any tips on how to clean this without taking the whole engine part?[​IMG]
    the oil pan mess....
    We cleaned up the intake and head, the head was milled just to get it straight (in the future i will measure the CR and if needed mill it down more)
    [​IMG]
    The water that got on the exhaust heavily damaged the intake, when we sandblasted it we made a hole, but that is okay, we planed on closing the original updraft hole and opening this side to use a Stromberg WW carb like the one in the background
    [​IMG]

Our plans for the rest of the car are:
    -C-10 gearbox (i believe it is a BW T-85)
    -Newer Chevy torque tube rear end (the length will be a challenge)
    -Juice brakes
    -Original Chevy disc wheels (1929 20's or earlier 21's, whatever is easier to find)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
    tractorguy and chryslerfan55 like this.