Register now to get rid of these ads!

1928 chevy 4cyl motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RedRodder, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Kume- thanks for the info! any chance you could share a pic or two of the mag setup?

Also, would either you or Jimmy know anyone who would have a spare mag mount and/or gear that they'd be willing to send stateside :D?

2. If anyone wants to bid on the Roof head go ahead I wont be.

3. MrModelT

MrModelT

Roof head?

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

5. MrModelT

MrModelT

6. Soooooo... who wound up with the Roof head :D?

On a happier note, I was able to pick up new 7/16" ball bearings and 1/4" cotter pins from the local hardware store after church today- gotta love living in a small town :)

The transmission is almost ready to go back together (and the '28 gears look really clean), then on to getting the engine running and the brakes taken care of... in between helping out with band camp and sitting through pre-planning meetings... good news is that the financial planner says I can retire when I'm 67 :D

7. Ugh, band camp started today, and pre-planning is next week... didn't get as far as I wanted to on the '22 tranny, but should be able to put it back together over the next few mornings.

Been trying to find pics of the Aussie/Kiwi 490's with magnetos, but haven't have much luck- if anyone has pics of the Simms C4 setup and/or parts, I'd love to see them :D

8. Kume

Kume

Mac the Yankee
    will get pics for you asap - am moving my garage so everything in disarray.
    Kume

9. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correcto, RedRodder. The hood on the '28 was lengthened in anticipation of the 6 the following year.

10. Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  11. Kume

Kume

I had a 28 chev a few years back and always wondered if you could drop a 30s chev 6 straight into a 28 chassis as a simple upgrade.

12. Don't know about mounts, but the space is there :D

13. ebtm3

ebtm3

Bill-- you would look GOOD in that sprinter

14. With my 6'6" frame, I'd be sticking out of it all OVER the place :D

Going to be contacting Gary Wallace soon about gaskets, etc. Haven't been able to find a local place that carries Green Gripper- will keep searching.

15. Kume

Kume

Would like to know more about the motor. Anybody follow up on it? $_57.JPG

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. Just got home from Speedway's museum. 2nd time to go, I highly recommend it. I saw this while there, couldn't get any closer or better details.

The sign says: " Ottman Chevy. This head was the only one Ottman designed for racing applications. Ottman was from Milwaukee and although he only built this one race design, he helped many racers and rodders with machining and engineering problems." CIMG0137.JPG CIMG0138.JPG CIMG0135sm.jpg CIMG0136sm.jpg

volvobrynk, Kume and bct like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is a lot of work for a one-off head. It would be nice to know what is inside.

18. Kume

Kume

I wonder if its actually a modified olds head (inlet heater hole). Interesting to see it fitted to a 28 block.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It doesn't look like the Olds head I have here. The splitters in the intake ports re interesting. I have seen a couple of one off heads even recently made. Some people just don't know you can't do that.

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Might be a pre-28 (single exhaust) head that he opened up and reworked for dual exhaust?

21. Well, with band camp done and pre-planning starting on Monday, I popped down to Bright Star Hot Rods (John Sizemore's shop) and brought the '22 490 home in the back of my old 3Runner... 75 miles through "Hotlanta" and two major construction zones with out A/C :p

Will get the '56 cab out of the way for a bit, and hunker down on getting the chassis running/moving under it's own power. Hoping to get the chassis down a bit, more like the bottom pic

20150725_140027.jpg 20150725_140105.jpg 20150626_171202.jpeg 80121.jpg

Outback, MrModelT, volvobrynk and 2 others like this.
  22. Kume

Kume

what a great project Bill. Cant wait to follow your build.

23. Thanks Kume!

Some parts are a real puzzle- the radiator had it's sides and base taken off, and while there is a base among the parts, it looks like a '28, so I have no idea if it's right or not, and the radiator shell has no holes in the bottom, so i don't know how it mounts to the chassis... yeehaw :D

24. Saw this thread- Dean Lowe was discussing how the builder used Slant 6 rocker arms... wonder if they would work on a Chevy or Olds head???

25. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Rich Fox,"Some people just don't know you can't do that."
    Don't you just love 'em?
    Mac, nice score. Those are the coolest Chevy radiator shells. I'd like to find some seats like those.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. chopnchaneled

chopnchaneled
    from Buford Ga.

MY HERO !!!!!!!! Good for YOU !

27. Okay, got the trans back together AND picked a Chicago auxiliary trans to give a little extra gearing :D

DID find a couple of issues, though-
    • will need to make a spacer/adapter to get the aux trans lined up with the tail end of the 490 trans
    • also need to make a sleeve to connect the 490 trans shaft to the aux shaft.
    Going to get the engine hot-tanked on Friday- the original babbitt was still in the block, so it was just a matter of popping them out (eat that, Ford guys :D)! Would love to replace the stock steel pistons, but time and $$ will keep that from happening... although I might consider bolting on some 1/4" disks to the top of the pistons to bump the compression a smidge :)

I am a little concerned about the rings- they felt a little soft (seemed a little too easy to turn the engine over), but that may just be the low compression?

Will load pics as soon as I can... seems like every time I open my computer, something needs to be updated...

Kjell Elias likes this.
  28. Here are the pics-

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  29. And a couple more of the Chicago and the '22 block

Attached Files:

bct likes this.