Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1926 Model T coupe in storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snegrah, Oct 5, 2012.

1. I have a chance to get this Model T coupe for $3,500.00...I think. It's 100% original, runs (supposedly) and has ZERO rust through from what I can see. I have NEVER kept anything original and I'm sure the owner wouldn't sell it to me if I were to "modify" it. The tall roof doesn't excite me and they do look great chopped. Maybe it's good trading material for something else?

Just looking for feedback if you were in my situation.

Tom

Attached Files:

2. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Gosh, $3500 seems really a great price for that...
    I think if I had the cash, I would be all over it...especially if it runs..
    Cheers, and let us know what you do..

3. I have been in that situation. And I decided that if a car had lasted for nearly a century without being cut up then I would not be the one to do it. So I bought it and kept it original. You can find "modified" cars all the time to change to suit your taste but it is extremely rare to find an original anymore and they are original only once.I agree that a T looks better with a little chop, but I would leave it alone, and thats my opinion.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Please for the love of god don't chop that car up! I am a straight up hot rodder, but original cars are getting to be such a rare occurrence these days that they just deserve basic respect. Now find a body laying somewhere, build a frame, fix some rust, chop that thing 'till the windows are gone, but not an original car. Hell, just my opinion, but even building the car I just descibed with a channel, I still wouldn't chop it. Look up Mercury Charlies "T" of about ten years ago and you'll see what I mean.

5. I agree with you. Those things look like phone booths on wheels. I say buy it and chop it! But of course you'll have to chop the front more than the rear to get that cool lookin' rake.

6. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I know someone will come on and say we are hotrodders and it takes a real man to cut one up, but I am a hot rodder and I would have a hard time destroying something that has been kept that nice for that long. There are enough less complete cars to chop up without sacrificing one that is in this condition.

And $ 3500 is a real deal from what I see there.

Don

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I will agree with Don, that is a very good price, but I would not even consider cutting that one up. It should be kept in it's present condition or restored.

A very nice survivor. After this long it deserves to survive.

8. Yep, I'm in agreement with leaving it original cuz it hurts to think of taking a 100% complete original and modifying it. However, I've modified many an original car in my day but they were plentiful. In fact, the louver guy Mr. Quinn supplied me with a louvered hood on my 53 coupe that I still need to install...I just high jacked my own thread...is that legal?

9. More photos:

Attached Files:

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remember the thread with all the fendered cars dropped over perfectly-fit wheels/tires to fenderwells? And the stance?

A fendered T Coupe dropped to fit tires is a real head turner.
    Do a modified 'A' chassis, body and fenders/aprons fit nicely.

11. Know of any photos of Atwater Mike's suggestion?

12. Hot rod it, but don't chop it.
    I think they look great that way.

13. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

It has been expressed several times already, so you don't need my opinion, but don't cut it up.

14. flat 39

flat 39

One more for the "Don't Cut IT" group.

15. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Doesn't matter what you do with it just GET IT! Ford that price there is money to be made to get you the car you really want. BUT don't even think you can part it out for some major bucks, Model T guys are the cheapest car owners ever.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  16. I completely understand the "don't cut it up" attitude, I like originals too. But I've seen much more rarer and original cars, here on the H.A.M.B., get cut up. I mean, hell how many of these things did Great Grandpa Henry build?

Just get the damn thing and worry about what you're gonna do with it later.

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Leaving it original is the "right" thing to do, but if I got my hands on this car, this is probably the route I would go. If you want a chopped, fenderless T coupe, follow needslouvers advice and find a another body, as thats all you need anyway. DONT hack up this car to build ANOTHER chopped, channelled, fenderless T.

18. Tommy R

Tommy R

^^ This.

19. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

what a neat original survivor! IMHO, I would have to say this is a car that should be kept as is, there are plenty of t-coupe projects out there that are great candidates to chop up if you are looking to build a T.

20. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

PS: Maybe buy it for $3500 and be the steward of the car until you find the right person that will keep it as it is, sell it for $4500 and make a $1000 for your trouble then the buyer would still be getting a good deal and the car would go on surviving-$1000 would probably get you a t-coupe body to chop up-my 2 cents. :)

21. outlaw256

outlaw256

well im going to help you out here with your situation. go ahead and buy the car. then you call me and we work out a trade deal. then i will come and get it and bring it home to my shop. see now you no longer have the problem of tryin g to fiqure out what to do to it. i now have thaT problem. glad i could help..

22. And what will you do with it? :D

23. musicrodder

musicrodder
    from Upstate NY

I would not chop it. My sedan had great tin and I couldn't see cutting such a solid car. It lasted so many years that way, and glad it did. Save the heavy chops for the ones less solid that need re-work. Just my .02.

24. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

How about something like this... A couple are sedans, but the idea is there. Tall "T"s were about as hip as it got in the late sixties and early seventies and there are tons of examples from that time period out there.

Attached Files:

25. Man,I would love to get my hands on a nice T like that,,I got enough hot rods,,I would keep it original and have a ball around town, HRP

26. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

what do YOU want to do with it?
    thats what i'd do with it.

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I was thinking of this car as soon as i opened this thread...
    [​IMG]

28. austinhunt

austinhunt

Although mine was "restored" with a lot of wrong parts and poor thought, I still regret not bringing it back to life sometimes...

29. I would buy it in a second. I just sold a 26T that wasn't that nice for more than that. I also would have to keep it original if it were me.

30. Weasel

Weasel

This is a '25 but along the lines of how I would build it - resto rod style. I would have Buick wires on that sucker, Jag IRS and dropped tube axle on it in a heartbeat. Stick a 302 with a quartet of 48 IDA Webers under the hood and you're stylin' man....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]