Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1923 T transmission question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 31Vicky with a hemi, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Someone here knows even though it’s probably a better question for ford barn, but since I spend little time there ,,,, I’ll post here.

My buddy has a really nice original 23 depot hack. The trans is not really ever finding neutral , free wheeling enough to use hand crank. It will run and not creep, it will drive fine and stop fine but with just enough drag to not be able to hand crank it. Using the electric starter has some drag and causes some lurching till it’s running. With it off and set for “neutral” , rocking the car causes engine movement so it’s not free.

What’s a good resource to learn how this thing is supposed to work.

My initial thought upon observation is the 3 rods that correspond with the 3 fingers are sticky. But that’s a guess. Thought about filling it with something to loosen them up but not sure what or if that’s a great idea.

Thanks

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Just guessing but sounds like band adjustment or too thick of oil. Lippy

3. 66gmc

66gmc

Check out the model t ford forums. Www.mtfca.com/forum. There is an adjustment bolt that rests on a cam on the e brake linkage which can wear down over time and need re adjustment. There is a procedure for ajusting it that I cant remember off the top of my head. Using heavier weight oil can cause the car to creep, or if its cold where you live the car will creep until the oil warms up. When its cold I have to Jack the back of my T up to start it.

Sent from my SM-G950W using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  4. thorpe31

thorpe31
    from nor-cal

5. What’s the correct oil for that thing?

6. Pete Eastwood

Pete Eastwood
    from california

Could be an adjustment problem or it could be worn clutch drive lugs.
    High gear is a multiple disc clutch. The disk's are driven by lugs on a cast iron hub / drum.
    When the lugs wear , they get notches in them & the clutch disk's hang up in them .
    Hopefully it's just an adjustment issue.
    Like the others have said, check the MTFCA web site, their forum has a lot of info on this.

7. I have always used 30w non detergent oil. but the "needs zddp" argument always comes up.

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.