Register now to get rid of these ads!

1923 graham pickup

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by austinhunt, Dec 9, 2011.

1. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I really like your project, keep up the good work!

2. austinhunt

austinhunt

It was a huge relief. After all the money spent at the machine shop and months learning what plays nice together in a sbf, I was really afraid that I would learn another lesson the hard way. But the gamble paid off.

Maybe some day I will find an old HEMI for it... since it used to be a dodge 4.

3. This a great build....keep it up!

Don't sweat that fact that you post a few updates in a row without people chiming in. Lots of guys here just follow the threads without commenting.

I LOVE the 302. They're great little engines and you just don't see 'em all that much at rod runs and shows. I've got nothing against SBCs but they're very similar to deuce highboys.....one is the iconic hotrod and that other is the iconic engine....the problem is that they're everywhere and after a while you just look past them.

I live south of Tyler, TX. It's a nice town. I think you'd be happy there.

4. austinhunt

austinhunt

rustyfords, is it windy? I lived in El Paso and hate constant wind. Please pm me, I would like to hear about it.

As for the 302, yes ot but it's all I can afford while in college and I need to get something under my belt first. I'm very happy with the result but i cant say i will stay a 302 guy.. For the money i couldve learned on the banger that was in it. Until now I had only rebuilt engines that didn't have valves or cams.

5. austinhunt

austinhunt

After cam break in i drained the oil and let it sit a few days in a freshly washed bucket. Then scraped the bottom with this clean jelly jar and stuck a magnet to it.... Looks like a lot of junk, there is about ten teaspoons of it in the bucket and I have yet to look at the filter guts.

In a two stroke all this stuff gets blown out the pipe so you never see how much there is.
    Is this too much stuff??

[​IMG]

Here was the goofy break in setup. Yes those are garden hoses (filtered), yes it got up to temp, and yes that is a taco bell tray dashboard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Are you saying you got TEN teaspoons of metal shavings out of your oil?

Holy crap man....there's something fishy about that. I'd be surprised that an engine was running at all if that much stuff came out of it. Surely that's a little bit of metal mixed in with other misc crap and gunk.

As for Tyler.....it's east Texas.....wind is not a factor. You'd be on the edge of the Piney Woods, just like I am here in Conroe. Head to the west from Tyler (or Conroe) more than 30 minutes or so and you're out in what used to be the prairie (before man stepped in).

In the pine forest, you have to deal with hot and sultry weather more than anything else. Lots of people hate it. I love it. We get lots of still, hot, humid days.

What kind of engineering job are you talking about. There's guys here in the Houston area making small fortunes right now in oil-related engineering.

7. austinhunt

austinhunt

Not exactly, between 5 and 10 tea spoons full of stuff. Only a small amount is magnetic (1 spoon) and it would be less if not saturated with oil... I will strain it and wash the oil out and see what it is. Cam looks ok and I have ok compression.

It doesnt seem right to me but it all checks out so ???

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  8. That sounds more reasonable. If you've got a good running engine and good compression, you should be fine then.

9. austinhunt

austinhunt

This weekend was Arctic Man so not much got done except tons of drinking and riding out in the mountains. But I did check out the oil.

Got a big cup full and let it settle. Then sucked up the oil on top, washed the rest out with dish soap and water. Looks like most of the stuff came from break in lube and only a little bit of magnetic powder. It was all really fine stuff so I'm relieved.

Now back to recovering from the biggest party in Alaska...

10. austinhunt

austinhunt

probly wont post another update till after my engineering finals are done next week but here is the start of my motor mounts and cradle... way over built but I dont want plain-jane motor mounts

[​IMG]

Good use of all the tiny cutoff wheels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. austinhunt

austinhunt

Dont drill through the drill press kids.

[​IMG]

Used break in oil is a good cheap cutting fluid... and has a good aroma to it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

put a few tacks on the steering box to make a pattern for the cradle.

[​IMG]

12. austinhunt

austinhunt

13. You are doing great! That is a pretty big project for a first time build. Good for you to take it on and be doing such a good job on it. Looks like you have learned a lot from reading here on the HAMB. I look forward to seeing more progress pics.

14. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thank you 38Chevy454, I'm Tryin'

And yes, I have been soaking up as much 'Hokey Ass Knowlege' as possible... its great stuff.

Other than my mistakes, I have to credit the HAMB for most what I know....which isn't much haha.

15. Keep at it brother....looking good.

16. Smokey2

Smokey2

ONLY IN Arkasas(saw) !

Yeah, Purist Are Wearin' Out the "Sheets" Tonite ! Gosh Durn Kid, Ruined a True
    Relic !
    What was "Top Speed" ? .........on that Baby BEFORE The Engine/ Rear SWAP ?

Had a '33 Ton'n and Half Ferd, If U adjusted the Varible Venturi Jest Right !, You might git IT up to 40 ! Used to Walk beside IT at Shows an "Talk" to it, Crept along, in First Geat at a Slow Walk.......
    Smokin' in tha Dark, Again !

Smokey II Reading the Thread Again...........And realized, Ah-las-ka...not Arkansas !!

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  17. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

I suppose I should post in this thread :)

Nice looking truck, will come out really well, and thats from a restorer

18. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks You guys very much. Smokey, this truck hasn't run in a number of years and although it looked like a streetable machine it was far from road worthy. The wood framing in the cab was falling apart on the ride home and the frame had a few spots where you could poke a finger through(reason for cutting it up). I think after its on the road I will work on getting the banger running on the stand.

I ran out of heat but this will be an I beam when finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  19. It's looking good!

20. austinhunt

austinhunt

Let it cool down and post a pic.

[​IMG]

21. austinhunt

austinhunt

Still too hot to touch and not clean, but under that flux my welds are steadily getting better... I'm happy with my progress but they still arent pretty.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. You're really showing some skill and suburb attention to detail....especially considering your age.

23. austinhunt

austinhunt

Thanks, I'm definitely trying not to screw up my first build, or under build it because it will be driven on some nasty roads here.

24. austinhunt

austinhunt

Been working 12 hour days lately and will continue till September, so not much is getting done. I will try to get back on track this week

25. austinhunt

austinhunt

The wide angle lens on my camera makes everything look crooked but I assure you everything is square.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  26. austinhunt

austinhunt

Pretty sure I'm doing all of this the hard way, but it's cheap and the only way I know how.

Puck mounts being punched out...

[​IMG]

Checking position

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. austinhunt

austinhunt

My Off Topic "engione".... some day it will be a flatty or dodge banger. Or maybe I will just build another hot rod.

Valve covers will be gray

[​IMG]

Had to cut my own wires because they look better.

[​IMG]

28. To heck with that....keep the 302. You'll be running one of the few 302's at whatever meet you attend.

Do like me....I'm planning another rod to house the banger.

29. austinhunt

austinhunt

Well another rod was the plan, but I got an offer on my Dodge banger that I couldnt refuse. Also, it gave me piece of mind to know it was gonna help get an early Dodge touring back on the road.... so maybe a flatty down the road after I get some more experience and money.

Here is what I let go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. That's a cool old banger.....glad to see that it's gonna live on in a stocker.