Register now to get rid of these ads!

16" wheel options??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LoBrow, Dec 9, 2006.

1. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I did a search and was unable to find anything. I am looking for my options for wheels. I already have my tires picked out. On the back I will be using a 7.50-16 and on the front I will use a 6.00-16. I would like to find a wheel to bolt to my rear axle (Mopar 8.75) which has 5x4.5 pattern. I will need to redrill the front hubs to match. Overall Id like to stay with the same 5x4.5 pattern on all corners. I am looking for just a plain steel or artillery style wheel. What did manufacturers offer in this pattern and size?? Thanks for any help. - Dustin

2. Squablow

Squablow

Look for 1948 and older Mopar wheels and International KB series trucks of the same era. Solids and artilleries were used on both cars. '36 Plymouth has a particularly nice looking 16" artillery with the pattern you need.

3. 40Tudor

40Tudor

The IH solids referred to above take the early Ford V8 hubcaps and look really similar to Ford wheels. Don't know about the Mopar stuff - seems like they traditionally had a real short vent compared to the Ford wheels.

4. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

I saw some IH wheels on here and then they popped up on ebay, but there were only two. I would like a set of four. If I could find something similar to the IH steels that would be fine. My search continues. Thanks

5. Sander

Sander

Some shoebox Fords came with 16" steelies that are also 5 on 4.5. I have a set from my 50 FoMoCar (not for sale) but I don't know how common they are. The center opening of the wheel may need to be opened up a bit because as I remember they are a pretty small diameter. Hope this helps.

Joe

6. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Late model Crown Victorias have the right bolt pattern and a 16 inch wheel, but are not much to look at. They have a substantial back spacing, so if you need that, they might work, but you would want to have a wheel cover on them.

7. steevil

steevil

16" x 4" steelies from a Jeep cherokee (space sacer spares)

5x4½" bolt pattern
    [​IMG]

8. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Those look pretty good. I was not aware that the spare would be 16" on those. What about the backspacing, any idea on that? Do you know if only certain years had these? What do you have for front suspension and axle setup? Looks good. Thanks

9. Ranchero

Ranchero

Try Stockton Wheel: http://www.stocktonwheel.com/oem_wheels.htm

10. Clark

Clark

Stay away from Stockton!!! Do a search on here you'll find a lot of horror stories.
    Clark

11. My 63 dodge pickup (D-100) had 16" wheels with that bolt pattern.

12. LoBrow

LoBrow
    from MI

Can you post a pic of the wheel? Any idea on the width?? Thanks

13. steevil

steevil

I'm not really sure what years got the 16" space saver spare. The one I got came from both a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the other one came from a Cherokee sport at the boneyard.

Some Chrysler Minivans had the 16" x 4" spacesaver as well but they have a large dish to them and look kinda weird (not good wierd either). I have several; some with cooling holes, some without.

Virtually all Jeep products that did not have the full sized spare option got the 16" spacesaver spare. (XJ, KJ, ZJ).

Backspacing is 2". The pic looks a bit wierd because I am using dual whitewall Harley Davidson motorcyle tires.

As for the front suspension, it is a 4" dropped tube axle with split bones on a stock model A frame. The front spring has 5 or so leaves removed from a factory spring.

[​IMG]

The rotors are from a Volare and the calipers are from a 1986 Cutlass.

My front suspension is set up wrong quite frankly. It works but has little travel and a bent tie-rod to clear the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After years of being on the HAMB, I understand how I need to re-do my front suspension. It would be easier to scrap the whole works and start from scratch again.

...but I'm lazy and kinda cheap.

14. the tires I had were 16 x 6 military tires. Here's a not very good photo

[​IMG]

15. Sander

Sander

16. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

We can make you some smoothies in 16 inch
    Jimmy

17. steevil

steevil

I guess I was wrong....looking at the Jeep wheels again, they have 4 cooling holes. They are so small that I didn't notice them.

[​IMG]

I have 2 more but one is kinda messed up. I bought it and didn't discover it was bad until I got it home. There is a large gouge in the back of one and it's left a slight dent on the out side.

[​IMG]
    (2000 jeep wheel)

[​IMG]
    (mini-van wheel, year unknown)

The other wheels I have are from a Chrylser mini van. They have a large dish and look like a space-saver.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Side by side comparison. Jeep wheel left, Minivan right.

18. Lono

Lono

old thread I know but was wondering what you did for wheels.
    I was looking at those Jeep wheels for a project but the back spacing isnt 2 inches, its 4 but they look pretty cool at any rate.

I ordered up a set from Jason at www.earlywheels.com Pretty cool stuff.