Register now to get rid of these ads!

15" Tri-5 Chevy Replacement Steering Wheels?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slammed88, May 21, 2007.

1. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

2. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

3. John Denich

John Denich

The ones I have seen were poor quality, the chrome ring was bad also, and that was with the American Classics ones , I guess with some work they could look good.

John

4. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Yeah, I haven't heard a lot of great reviews about any brand.

Maybe I'm better off just finding an original wheel and cutting it down to size. :D

5. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I got one for a christmas present and love it. My dad bought it from a place in Canyon Country, CA. He got there info from Drive magazine. I think its worth the money. Mine came packaged great and does not have a single flaw on it. Trust me with what dad paid for it, I would have pitched a fit if it wasn't right. Here is a picture of it before it went on the car.
    [​IMG]

6. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

i got 58 impala one it was junk took me 3 hrs to redo

7. FYI to you guys that DO buy one....

I painted one for a customer last week(the 59-60 version)....it came black and shiny(the FIRST one he got was wrinkled :confused: and he sent it back)---anyway, I sanded/prepped it, shot an even coat of DP 74 red epoxy, then basecoat red, then clear.........
    Damn thing color shifted to a cloudy pinkish tint :confused::mad: EXCEPT for the hub(metal).
    I don't know if the plastic gassed out, or ??????---definitely NOT a painter error, cause I shot about ten other pieces at the same time.
    You been warned......

8. Slammed88

Slammed88
    from Canada

Wow, good to know. I was going to paint mine light purple. Maybe I would be better off getting an original, and cutting it down to size...

9. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I've seen at least 10 of them in person, and I would not have put any one of them on my car. Try to see the one you are buying in person if possible. Just my .02.

Doc.

10. I've seen them. They look like a str'g wheel for a pigmy.

Also, don't bet one unless ya' plan on using power steering. 'Cause your steering efforts are gonna' go wayyyyy up and you will need power.

Question? Why do ya' wanta' use a smaller wheel?

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

My thoughts, too. I have a 56 Chevy and I like the original size steering wheel. It just looks right to me.

12. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I had to run the smaller wheel 'cause of the power steering. I couldn't get behind the wheel, the column now sits only about 1 inch lower but that 1 inch makes all the difference. And its not just 'cause I'm on the bigger side. My buddy has a 56 with power and the stock wheel is basicly between his legs when he drives.

13. I must be missing something here. What does power steering have to do with the steering column placement?

I assume could put power steering on my '55, which ain't never gonna' happen, and leave the column & str'g wheel position stock.

Heck, my wife can drive it with no power steering and with radial tires.

So, what's going on with he-man male hot rodders? I'd be buyin' a membership to the local gym rather than buying a "pussy-dick" str'g wheel ;) .

14. John Denich

John Denich

Power on a tri5 does not change the location of the column and wheel, unless they swap out the column to a late model, but using the stock one by cutting three inches off the bottom and using a new intermediate shaft thats shortened, you still have the same location of the column...so ya your right ...I like manual steering in my Kustom also if I want power I drive my late model...I am with you.

John

15. gal6xie5

gal6xie5

I am using a stock column and it did change just a tad bit. Maybe its just the angle but for sure we put the stock wheel on and it was a tad bit restricted to drive. Wouldn't have wanted to do advasive manuevers in it.

I ran with stock steering for several years before I changed over. It didn't matter to me which steering type I had it was truly my dad's choice. I have stock steering on my race car and our 52 Cad. I just like the power on my 55.