Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Time for T

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, May 12, 2023.

1. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

J.Ukrop submitted a new blog post:

Time for T

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: May 12, 2023
    phoenix_may, hotrodfil, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Drilled inset boxing played on the frame and a drilled front axle, someone was trying to go fast with that for sure!

A fun one to day dream and speculate about for sure

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. dmar836

dmar836

That's the first thing I notices as well. #364 has a skeletonized front axle as well.
    Drillium works!
    D

Stogy and Tman like this.
  4. I am looking at screwing something similar together out of my spare parts. Pretty cool.

Stogy and Tim like this.

5. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

It looks like a great project to start with!

Happy Birthday……by the way!

Stogy likes this.
  6. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Definately seasoned Hotrod material with a past...and it's metal that has to get any Vintage Rodder excited...George's Site is a great connection to source the History...especially visually...

Belated Happy Birthday Joey...that project would be the Icing on the Cake...;)

Last edited: May 14, 2023
    J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  7. Got Metal?

Got Metal?

Great article! Thanks Tman for the heads up! The project is now in my shop, and will be my personal race car. I am new to HAMB, but attempted my own thread on the car today, seeking any information. Yes, a B/MR car for sure, it’s on both sides of the cowl. It is numbered 360 on the door. Easier to make out in person. I’m block sanding for more clues, and trying to decode script on the cowl vent. Yielded “SoCal” so far, so that narrows it down a bit. George Klass is mulling it over as well. Bitchen stuff…

Stogy, J.Ukrop, Outback and 3 others like this.
  8. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Please please please do a build thread!

Stogy likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Nice old roadster set up. Quite an array of the Modified Roadster race cars. There are other old photos of Roadsters with the same build modifications, but with name classes such as Hot Roadster, Modified Fuel Roadster, Gas Roadster, and Modified Gas Roadster. Later on, it was simplified to just The Roadster class.
    upload_2023-5-18_3-29-36.png
    The top competitors being in the A/Roadster class. Then, of course, as history moved on, the Roadster Class got eliminated and all were lumped into the Altered Classes and eventually dumped altogether, in favor of Top Fuel and Funny Cars.

One of the more prolific So Cal racers was Leland Kolb. He has been involved in drag racing as far as our history photos and stories can go back in time. Look for his own history of roadsters leading up to the top fuel race cars. Enjoy the styles, the development, the different builds and racing. It is quite a story in itself.

But one unusual roadster in the myriad of race cars from the Voight/Kolb shop looked so unusual that I tried my best to draw a version of it.
    upload_2023-5-18_3-6-19.png
    Leland Kolb Modified Roadster including Fritz Voight participation…

Jnaki

Leland Kolb had plenty of drag race cars in the time we knew of his exploits. During the time he had this 1927 T modified roadster, most of what was available for information of his exploits was before our time filming later versions at the drags.
    upload_2023-5-18_3-8-35.png
    Fritz Voight Automotive
    Thanks, @296ardun

Leland Kolb's "Whiz Bang," at the '58 Nationals.. Leland at left.. Glenn Ward color photo.

10. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

627516 cropped.jpg
    The H.A.M.B. is an incredible place. Not only did the car find a home with H.A.M.B.er @Got Metal?, but @Bluestreak-PA found a photo of it in action in 1959!

Stogy and Outback like this.
  11. Got Metal?

Got Metal?

Stogy likes this.
  12. Bluestreak-PA

Bluestreak-PA
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Erie, PA

I searched "1959 Detroit" on Petersen Archives website (https://archive.petersen.org/) then looked through the 2500 +/- images that came up and found two photos of the car.
    Here is the second photo which is similar to the one previously posted:
    1959 NHRA Nationals - Detroit - 627571 cropped.JPG

Stogy and Outback like this.
  13. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I've been trying to help Got Metal? with info about this car. He found that a later version when it was a C/MR had a correction in Popular Science magazine about the car. I did find the photo that was published in the April 1961 issue ...

CapturePopularScience.JPG

J.Ukrop and Outback like this.
  14. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I also found that there was something published in the Corona paper ...

CaptureCorona.JPG