Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stude Italia

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Apr 13, 2022.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Stude Italia

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Sancho, palosfv3, tractorguy and 9 others like this.
  2. Gutsy move on a new car! The Emory's are still very much involved in many forms of this fun hobby. I spent an hour or two one night at Bonneville chatting with Gary

tractorguy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, compared to the Big 3 companies a major jump in design - but, what a terrific change - not a fan of the modified example here but, is growing on me - of course, a chopped roof running at Bonneville is my favorite

dana barlow and lowrd like this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

When I was a kid in the mid 50's we had a local rich kid who had a mildly customized 53 with a built motor. It was black with a red custom interior I really liked that car. I have a friend (Gary Gerberding) that currently has a customized 53 that's a shade of light green with a white interior he built several years ago when he was still running his shop. It's received lots of awards.

lurker mick likes this.

5. AmishMike

AmishMike

Getting rid of front “bumperets” & driving lights would really have smoothed out the front. Still a good looking car even among today’s look alikes

dana barlow likes this.
  6. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Totally agree... But I also sort of dig them at the same time...

This is another one of those context cars I think. I love the damned thing because of the history of it and who did the work and... But I wouldn't build one in the same vein...

Sancho, dana barlow and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  7. I’d drive it

57 Fargo and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Studebaker " SPEEDSTERS " were very cool as well.
    This one is in mint condition and it belongs to a friend of mine here in Seattle.

speedster 4 (2).JPG speedster 1 (2).JPG speedster 2 (4).JPG speedster 2 (3).JPG

dana barlow likes this.
  9. Here's the "STUDE ITALIA" circa 1955 on the Custom City Car used car lot in Los Angeles:

STUDE ITALIA - Custom City Car - LA 1955.jpg

10. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

. . . but the Hardtop is so much better looking to start from.

SR100, theHIGHLANDER and dana barlow like this.
  11. coot 53

coot 53

Washes off easily with Aviation gasoline.

kevinrevin likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Holy crap. Great find.

Sancho and dana barlow like this.
  13. I can't take credit ... I remembered it from a 2017 post on @Rikster's site/forum:

dana barlow likes this.
  14. belair

belair

The little grille is perfectly proportioned, but still takes a little time to get used to. The bumperettes has n the front need to go. I like it a lot.

15. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If...they did that work to a 55...I'd say, nice change.

BUT, they "F"ed up a 53 (or even if it was a 54). Bad move. I wonder how long it took to end up on the used car lot ?

Mike

16. Squablow

Squablow

Think about what the average car looked like driving around in 1953. Then look at this car. This thing had to look like a spaceship.

Seems like this was a pretty popular custom car platform in the 50's and early 60's but now they're a pretty rare sight aside from some restored ones and a few land speed cars.

I would totally drive it.

I do wonder though, did the front bumper guards get taller between the time when the magazine pictures were taken and when it was on the Custom City lot? I like the later silver lights better than the amber ones but the shorter guards were much cleaner looking.

17. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do enjoy looking at what custom stuff is done.
    1953 Study low hardtop w/V8 was my all time fav. new design* ever seen by me at any show room grand unvailing.
    Every car after that came out,was boring to me. I tryed very hard to buy a used one,to be my first. From a used car lot,that was fixing a bad rod in it's V8,in 1958. It was spotless,other then the bad rod=And that was why it had a price on it,with in my savings!!!;)
    Dad would not sign for it :(,telling me about how it likely has more bad then just the rodo_O. It would of been my first car and really was my dream car. { As years passed an out of collage,I did own at def times,5 Study's> every one I loved an tryed to fix up. But also was trying to keep up may Station Wagons/One car for wife an one for me for every day,along with one old hotrod=Too much work to keep more then two running every week.
    Being I'm in love with the 53 on design**********:D ,almost zero things any one dose to custom one,I think is step backward,not forward in looks!

18. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bonneville , chopped Studes are awesome...great post Ryan....

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So easy to armchair quarterback stuff like this. Grille could be wider and lower. Front bumper thinner, those center lights look like an afterthought and maybe even upside down. The wire wheels are perfect, as are the fender treatments. Whitewalls too. Mild I get, but it seems almost abbreviated.

dana barlow likes this.
  20. SS327

SS327

I think it looks great. I would not change a thing, in fact I think they improved it. Keep the shorter amber driving lights though. Just my opinion. Please don’t shoot!

21. cfmvw

cfmvw

That is really sharp! Anyone know if it's still around?

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly. Americana entrepreneurship at its finest.
    Car ain't bad either, agree that this is fairly radical for early 50s American cars.

23. TALLAN

TALLAN

Nice custom but the original lines of the 53/54 Studebaker are hard to beat. Lowered, moons and a later 289ci Stude motor help this one out...

Attached Files:

dana barlow and MCjim like this.
  24. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

I agree the thing was probably outta sight on the boulevard when nearly new. However, in my opinion, the ONLY thing you can do to improve a Bob Bourke coupe is chop the top and lower it. Every time I see mine I realize how lucky I was to get it. Timeless.

25. BJR

BJR

In my opinion that grill was just changed for the sake of change. It does nothing to improve a stock 53 Stude grill. :(

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER likes this.