Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volts voltage regulator issue ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frenchy32, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

I had an issue last week with my new Blue top Optima battery. After driving the car in the morning parked it in the garage in the early evening decided to take another drive to find out that the battery was dead. Exchanged the battery for a new one and had it checked at Auto Zone and looked fully charged. I had a friend check the voltage regulator and we figure out that the problem was possibly the trigger points on the regulator was closed and discharging the battery. I had bought the regulator from Napa store Part # VR414. Now here is a tought would it be ok to drill a few holes on the regulator cap to release some of the heat that is build up on the inside. The regulator is mounted under my seat I am also planning to add a couple of fans to help on the cooling of other components such as the relays and fuse box. Let me know your toughts on this subject.

Thanks
    Frenchy

2. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Thanks for your help

Frenchy

3. I replaced the Voltage Regulator last night and everything is OK. How high should the voltage be when you are driving. My gauge is showing 14.2 volts when I am driving at 2,000 RPM and when I slow down and come to an idle it is showing 12.2 volts.

Thanks
    Frenchy

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Thats a little high going down the road with a regular battery , the Optima's may take a little higher votlage to charge due to their design. At idle generators DO NOT charge if your idle is below 800 RPM or so,you are reading battey/system voltage at idle.

5. Fenders

Fenders

The key word here may be "optima."

6. Sorry I forgot to mentioned that I do have an Optima blue top battery.

You guys are great thanks for the heads up.

Frenchy