Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 volt conversion mishap,need help for a friend:

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hooligan63, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

So,my buddy did a 12 volt conversion on his '53 Plymouth Cranbrook,still running the original Flatty straight 6. Now,here's the issue,the car starts fine,runs smooth and everything works,but when he shuts the car off,it keeps running,even when he disconnects the battery. The only way he can get the car to totally shut down is to disconnect the alternator. Any ideas as to why this is happening? Since I don't know ass from elbows when it comes down to 12 volt conversions,I thought I'd ask you guys.

2. The alternator is feeding power to the ignition system. Why it's doing that, I have no clue. Something is wired wrong.

3. mAYBE A DIODE IN THE WIRE ON THE ALERNATOR. Gm its the brown wire.

4. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

thats what it is...I had a Ford tractor that did that after I put a GM alt on it. diode fixed it

5. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

It's a three wire alternator,I know that much.

6. 41hemi

41hemi

Hook the power wire going to the alternator to the accessory side of your ignition switch. This will seperate the power from the alternator from the rest of the car and stop feeding current to your distributor when you shut it off.

7. Verminator

Verminator

Diode's the right way for normal operation. I've put a Heavy Duty, not cheapo, toggle switch under the dash, spliced into brown ( small ) wire from alt. >>>>> Cheap anti-theft device !!!!!

8. Hooligan63

Hooligan63

Since I'm a little de-de-deee sometimes,could someone post up a quick diagram and what kind of diode to use? Remember,'53 Plymouth Cranbrook with original Flathead straight six and dizzy running a 3 wire GM Alt conversion.

9. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

this question has been covered previously and a search should turn it up. I don't have the thread marked to link for you

10. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

ignition switch might be bad...

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yes. The wire that 'excites' the field. If you don't, it will also run the battery down in a day or two.

12. mustangsix

mustangsix

insert a diode, a resistor, or an indicator light. Tractor diagram attached, but the wiring is the same...

[​IMG]

13. RodStRace

RodStRace

That's the way, an indicator light will work.