Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 Volt Conversion. 54 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bazooka, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Bazooka

Bazooka

I was wondering who has the best kit available with all the parts to do the 12 volt conversion?

National Chevy has a couple kits. They have one that has everything except the alternator. Do they sell good stuff?

Also wondering what alternator I should get for it? going to be running two compressors in the trunk for the air ride...

Also what battery? should I get one of those optimas?

thanks guys

2. JAWS

JAWS

If you're gonna rewire the whole car, you can use what ever kit you want. Just remember you get what you pay for.
    With that said, if your wiring is in good condition, then you need to relpace bulbs and generator or switch to an alternator. You should also get a voltage drop for the fuel gauge. You should also add a short 16 gauge wire for a shunt across your amp meter as the higher amp alternator will burn it open. The added shunt will carry most of the current and still allow the gauge to read charge or discharge.

Two batteries and run heavy enough gauge wire and cables to handle the extra amps your new alternator is gonna run. Think water as in volume and pressure. Two buckets full of water with a leak will be easier to top off than jsut one one with the same size leak. Same for the size hose you use to fill it and how much water you run through that hose.

I'm sure there is something else I am forgetting...:D
    There's alot of smart Mutha's on here who will help straighten me out..

3. Use a kit that has all the wire you need. Optima is a good choice. Use a 100 AMP GM unit.

4. Yeah guys I have heard that its pretty simple. Just throw the new batt in there, mount alternator,... then youre pretty much up and running as far as the vitals?

besides that you just through in new bulbs, and whatnot? Do you HAVE to switch to a 12volt starter setup?! OR can that 6volt run allright off an increased power?

5. PS also, do you have to purchase a new alternator/gen bracket or can the new alternator mount on the gen bracket?

6. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

leave the 6V starter, it will be fine.
    mine has been in there more then 5 years and it works fine.
    it might wear out faster then if it ran on 6V but when it burns up then change it out.
    OR just keep a supply of old swap meet $5 6V starters on the garage.

I used my old bracket for years but it was a not right.
    I picked up a alt bracket for a GM one wire alt. to mount on a 235 at " the car shop", $45 bucks anit cheap but it went right in.

7. JAWS

JAWS

It'll just spin faster and Happy hoppy is right on.

Powermaster makes alternator that looks like an old generator, called a Powergen. Fits into the stock mounts and is a 1 wire self exciting alternator that puts out 60+ amps at idle.
    Most high output alternators putout less amperage at idle than a lower amp model. If the alternator is rated at 100 it will put out around 19 even though the load demands more, at low rpms. Take a 55 amp version, it will usually putout around 35 at idle if needed.
    Although this used to be the rule of thumb so to speak, I have seen many more as of late, have remedied that issue.

8. Bazooka

Bazooka

Guys hows this kit look? You think its worth the money? $355.00 All I would need is the battery and alternator..sounds kinda expensive

http://www.nationalchevyassoc.com/shop-online/product/1268.html

by the way I will be using the original wiring.. Can I use the original fuse box?

Also whats about the points and condenser??

9. frankenstein1948

frankenstein1948

I used that same kit from national chevy on my wifes 52 chevy. Great kit with everything but battery including alt. bracket plus easy to follow instructions. Fuse box ,stock wiring and 6 volt starter will work just fine although starter life may be shortened.I would definatley recomend this kit!

10. 7"Chop

7"Chop
    from Denver

Get yourself a alternator and EZ wire kit and go to work

11. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

WOW, $355, for what?
    some bulbs?

I picked up that bracket for $45.
    the DA plug you can find in any junk yard = $0
    horn relay. any auto parts store $3
    same goes for the bulbs and flasher, you might have to hit a napa for the resister and reducer.
    if you know what to look for you can get everything outta the junk yard, but thats me.

I guess your paying for the connivance of having a "kit", I hate the word "kit" these days.

12. tooslow54

tooslow54

Yup. Exactly what Happy is sayin' ...Just keep it simple.

13. 27T

27T

my dad made this adapter to use the stock bracket with an alt. on my 54
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Bazooka

Bazooka

Hey guys I was wondering if anything in the system would be damaged if I did the swap in three parts. I have limited garage time and would probably need to move the car before I got all the work done.

I was thinking of replacing all the bulbs, putting in the 12v flasher and horn relay 1st....would it be okay to run the car on 6 volts after making these changes just to move it out of the garage?

Then I'd probably follow by changing over to a alternator with the new battery and coil.

It should be okay to unhook the gauges at this point untill I get some reducers right?

Thanks guys.. all advice is appreciated

P.S. I'm using the stock wiring.

15. JAWS

JAWS

The 12 volt bulbs will be real dim and the horn relay and signal flasher prolly wont work at all, while you're running 6 volts, as they are designed to be fired buy 12 volts. So bearing that in mind, they will be fine then when you change to the alt, batt and coil. Other than that, you should be fine with your plan as long as the harness is in good shape.

16. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Before going to all the work and expense of changing over, make darn sure your harness is in good shape...

Glenn

17. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Obtain a 12 volt coil and a balast resistor for it , the rest of the ign. circut will be fine

18. Squindo

Squindo

I'm far from being a mechanic and I just finished the 6 to 12 conversion. No need for the kit. Ran all new wire with the Rebel Wire kit (easy and they walked me through any question I had), new alt bracket, 12 volt solenoid on 6 volt starter, coil, balest resistor. I followed this link pretty close and everything seems to be cool. National Chevy Association tech guys are a huge help also.

http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/miscellaneous/5412volt.htm

19. Bazooka

Bazooka

Excellent link! Thanks everybody :D

20. BaltoBeater

BaltoBeater

I imagine this could also be used for a 52 2 door. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong before I go and buy everything and waist my time.

21. JAWS

JAWS

Most manufacturers up to 55 had 6 volt systems. You should be fine. I hear rebel wire sells a good kit, I have not used them yet, but plan on it. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask. Fire is not an option and can be avoided with some common sense. Good luck with your project.

22. coolvato

coolvato

My 52 chevy Styleline has a push start button, does that stay the same?

23. WCRiot

WCRiot

This is the alternatortht came on my car. The guy is actually running the alt. and the gen. Kind of innovative but, Im tired of dealing with the BS assocaited with it.

My question is. Do you think I should stick with this alternator? All the brackets are perfect but the alternator is showing some sign of its age. I dont mind spending the money to buy a new alternator but I am not really sure what alternator would work best for my conversion??? Check out these pics and let me know.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]