Register now to get rid of these ads!

12 bolt question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lowburban, Dec 1, 2007.

1. lowburban

lowburban

Got a later model (67-72 cause it's got all stock mounting points for the truckarms) 12 bolt that came in my 63 chev truck. It's 5x5 while the front was still 6 lug but has been swapped to 5x5 disc. With the wheel and tire combo I've decided to run it's 2-3 inches to wide on each side. THe one in it as 58" to the backing plates and I need about 52. I'm gonna go through the whole thing anyways so I'm wondering did a 12 bolt come in anything this width I could swap. I can fab the mounts and stuff I just need to know if they came that narrow. Just thinking it would be cheaper and less trouble than having the one I got narrowed.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Nothing that would be cheaper to buy than to just narrow yours.

btw the 5 lug rears were first used in 71, and the 69 and earlier rears are not as wide a the 70-newer.

I'm talking about truck 12 bolts....they are not the same as car 12 bolts, different gears, etc.

3. lowburban

lowburban

Thanks squirrel. I've found some tables that list all kinds of rears and what they came in and their specs. I'm not opposed to putting a ten bolt or something else in it since it's not a high horsepower application, just a cruiser with a mild 327 in it. Anybody else got opinions. What about a good place to get one narrowed in TX and about what will it cost me. I've heard $300-$400. Does that sound right?

4. lowburban

lowburban

BTTT for the day guys taking a break from work.