Register now to get rid of these ads!

10th CHRR Fate of the Willys ~YOUTUBE~

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LIMEY, May 1, 2006.

1. LIMEY

LIMEY

I've not quite figured out this youtube thing yet......can't find the thing that pops up with the film reel, but i'll use this post to work things out.

Here's the link to the video;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsEh2JcK08s

2. LIMEY

LIMEY

KEV.

3. LIMEY

LIMEY

Kev.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...ouch!...that makes my wallet hurt...:(

5. jerry

jerry

I was standing at the top end across the track when that happened. It was one of the scarier crashes I've seen. Fifty feet sooner and he would have been into the motorhomes parked over there.

jerry

6. Brewton

Brewton

Damn! I'm glad the driver was ok. Top end screw-ups hurt the worst, they happen too quick!

7. LIMEY

LIMEY

Yeah when you see the damaged guardrail you can see how close it was, he was lucky to walk away from that!

Kev.

8. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

I was there too. It happened right in front of where we were standing. You could feel the heat from the fire when the fuel tank ruptured in the Willys. Thankfully BOTH drivers were ok. What the footage doesn’t show is that the Willys crossed the track just in front of the Camaro and went through the guardrail. When this happened, a 20 foot length of the guardrail flung out into the middle of the track at about a 4 foot height striking the Camaro in the Driver’s A pillar. It whacked it so hard that the A pillar was bent in the shape of an ‘L‘ and the roof was wrinkled up real bad.

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Fancy camera work....

Two years ago at the HRR in Bowling Green, the purple Willys with the tall wing spun around at the top end and saved it. The most awesome thing I've seen in a long time.

10. nothing like a persons back right in your face during a crash. (terrible that it is, but we cant deny we like to see them sometimes)

Its good that the driver did not hurt...awesome.

His car....stick a fork in it...its done. Or open your wallet for some new metal work. :eek:

Thanks for the video.

11. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Didn't get to actually see that one till after the fact. Sounded pretty impressive in the Porta Potty between the stands when they blew by...

Scaired me when they announced it was an Idaho car on the speakers. Hard to hear right in the shitters. At first I thought it was Kenny Ratslof instead of the Boise car. Kenny still sometimes drives his old gasser to cruise nights.

12. LIMEY

LIMEY

I didn't realise it was the guardrail that hit the Camaro........i remember it being real close though, looking back i do remember the talk about the damage to the Camaro & always wondered what caused it......he was lucky that was way too close!

Kev.

13. axle

axle
    from Drag City

did something break which made the willys make a hard left & crash? does anyone know?

14. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

It could have been. I remember the sound of that Willys coming down the track towards us… The engine under load with the whine of the blower belt slowly gaining pitch… then just before the thing went left, the pitch of that whining blower belt went way up… real fast! I remember thinking that the car lost traction, but now that you mention it, it could have broken an axle or something...