Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Looking Ahead Through Plexiglas...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Looking Ahead Through Plexiglas...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Stogy, tb33anda3rd, T-roaster and 7 others like this.
  3. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

That's illegal in some states, I hear.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

4. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Which? Plexi, bubble tops or transporting scantily clad women in the trunk of a car?

Can you clarify?

5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

:):):) Show Off
    Love it!!

6. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I wonder what happened to that Pontiac after the Fair? Destroyed? In some GM Engineers basement?
    I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

7. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It's still around, seen it at a car show in Indianapolis in the mid 80's

Sent from my SGH-T399 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

It was auctioned off by RM Auctions in 2011...
    [​IMG]

9. zzford

zzford

I remember in the 80's, in my home town in Florida, it was summer. I was hanging out with some buddies when a custom Buick Riviera with a plexiglass bubble top cruised by. I felt bad for the guys in the car because even with the A/C going full tilt, the sweat had them completely soaked. Better stick to cruising after dark.

10. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Hi jive-bomber.Great post.Neat video too.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

11. Blade58

Blade58
    from apopka ,Fl

Great Post

czuch likes this.
  12. I like the completely white tyres.
    I had a '39 Pontiac, but the previous owner must have kept the girl. Just my luck.

czuch likes this.
  13. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JB,

Nice story and photos. We used to see plexiglas cut outs in stock factory experimental cars at the shows back when we were kids. Your photos take us back to those times. When I was taking photographs and writing stories for the mags, I came across a custom car that had a bubble top. On the HAMB, back in 2016, I made an inquiry about this custom car. The photos that I took photos were rejected by several magazines, so all of those old photos were given away.

I gave all of those photos to the owner and have lost track of the car and owner since back in those early 70s. Driving to the neighborhood park for the photo shoot was an exercise in weirdness. People thought we were shooting a movie about the Jetsons or something like that. They kept looking for a movie camera truck following us. After a while, I looked back, too, it was such a strange feeling.

upload_2017-10-18_7-57-37.png
    The car looked like this one (Sancho supplied photo) and the Starbird version, but it wasn’t either one. The only two things I remember about the car was that it was extremely hot under that clear plexiglas dome when we were driving to the park for photos, and back. It was also a chore driving as there was a stick (lever) to steer the car. Not the best choice in steering on the roads, let alone parking anywhere.

The bubble top had no view blocking anywhere, it was a total 360 degree clear vision. But, it was soooo hot under that bubble. It also made you want to get out as it felt like there was no circulation inside of that dome. I am not claustrophobic, but this dome made me feel like I should be…

Jnaki

Sorry, I did not hang onto those photos. I was a little irritated at the mags for the total rejection of a custom car. It reminded me of a custom Thunderbird with a clear dome. There were only a few in the show circuit at the time.
    (Tridents shows, Great Western Expo Center Shows, etc.)

Previous thread:
    Hello,
    Does anyone have photos of a custom show car from back in the late 60's early 70's that had a bubble dome top and steered by a lever instead of a steering wheel?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

JNAKI, JUL 26, 2016 EDIT DELETE !REPORT! SHARE POST#255 + QUOTE REPLY

Hello,
    Thanks for those photos, but it was not as famous as the Beatnik Bandit or any of Starbird's cars. It was in So Cal during the late 60's and I lost track around 74. It used to be popular in the show circuit then. If I remember correctly (sorry, crs) it had a lever for steering, not a typical wheel.
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

JNAKI, JUL 26, 2016 EDIT DELETE !REPORT! SHARE POST#258 + QUOTE REPLY
    Hello,
    I saw that photo online and thought the car was what I remembered. (as much as I could remember) But it also looked like that Predicta model. as far as color, light blue pearl? It could not have been that one as i saw it in So Cal. I took photos of the car and submitted to a car magazine, but they rejected it saying it was not to their liking or taste. So, I gave all of the photos to the owner. I have lost all contact with him since it was 1972 or 74 and I was starting to get out of the photo/journalism business. I drove the car around the photo shoot area and it certainly was a show car only. That car would be dangerous as a daily driver. Did I say that under the dome it was hotter than &^^%%?
    Thanks,
    Jnaki

JNAKI, JUL 26, 2016 EDIT DELETE !REPORT!SHARE POST#260 + QUOTE REPLY

Stogy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  14. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Anyone know any more about these fat fendered, plexi-topped cars...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I found both in an image search, but have thus far not come up with any history on them.

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

You'd black out at a light in Tucson.
    I keep an oven thermometer on my dash during the summer and its over 160 June, July, August.
    Its even 95 today.

kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  16. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

plexiglass was used at times by custom builters,but dose crack fairly EZ, The better to use plastic is "Lexan"= one of the many brand names of polycarbonate. That can take a hammer hit an not crack,was used on fighter planes etc.

czuch likes this.
  17. Deuces

Deuces

JFK's limo has a bubble top... I need to get more info on it next time I go to the Henry Ford Museum here in Dearborn...

18. is the girl in the trunk Pricilla Lane?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  19. Lowtek32

Lowtek32

[​IMG] surfing @oldphotographs hope this isnt ot but to good to pass up!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.