Register now to get rid of these ads!

10 bolt carrier removal????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carfanatic, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

I have a ratchet-style limited slip in an 87 Chevy 10 bolt rear. How do you remove the carrier from the housing? It doesn't seem to want to come apart (can't get the spider gears out). Thanks for the help.
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

2. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

thats a gov-loc..they make great door stops..DO NOT REMOVE SPIDERS...theres a small bolt on the other side of the carrier 5/16 head.remove it ,pull the cross pin out .slide the axles shafts inward about 1/2 inch C-clips will drop out ..pull axle shafts out ..remove bolts 2 on each side of the case 5/8s head..keep the left bearing cap on the left side and the right bearing cap on the right...using a pry bar pry the carrier out of the housing,make sure and catch the shims and put them back in the same side they came out....

3. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

by the way the picture is upside down.... the crosspin bolt is pointing toward the ring gear

4. Carfanatic

Carfanatic

Thanks for the reply. I have the bolt and the pin out but couldn't get any further. The axles didn't seem to move in far enough to get the clips out. I 'll retry in the morning. Thanks.

5. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

As said above correctly, but I'll add use a magnet to catch the C clips when you push the axles in, then stick a screwdriver into the carrier, let it rest on the housing, and slightly rotate the pinion and the carrier will walk right out with the bearing races and shims.