Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 10.5 or 11" clutch in a 10.75 pressure plate?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdilecce, Jun 11, 2016.

1. sdilecce

sdilecce

Hey guys, the clutch in my 1951 Chevy 1 ton is slipping. It has a 9 hole 10.75 clutch which is no longer available. I know I can have the clutch re-lined but I can't fine anyplace locally (Saskatoon), and shipping it out will be costly and will leave me with my truck apart and out of service.

Have any of you tried putting in a 10.5 x 1-1/8 10 spline friction disk, or an 11" into a 10.75 pressure plate? Either of those are cheap and easy to find. I was thinking a 70's Camaro disk for the 10.5, or pickup for the 11". Any of you try this? What part did you use?

Thanks

2. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I haven't done it but I'd measure the ID and OD of the pressure plate and use the disc that gives it the most friction surface. It might be possible for a machine shop to grind the 11 inch disk down to 10.75 n a lathe. Another way would be to see if an 11 inch pressure plate will fit the flywheel. You could possibly remove the flywheel and have a machine shop drill it for a different pressure plate. Does that have a raised ring around the outside of the flywheel or is it a flat surface?

3. squirrel

squirrel

I would just use a disc that is slightly smaller than the pressure plate...it seems to work ok if the PP is bigger than the disc, but not if the disc is bigger than the PP.

sdilecce likes this.
  4. sdilecce

sdilecce

It's a flat flywheel, but drilled for a 9 hole 1938-53 10.75 pressure plate. I really don't want to have the flywheel drilled out. Looking for a quick easy fix for now to last for the summer. I may try getting a 10.5 disk, just wondering if anybody tried it. My concern would be the springs clearing.

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

You might be able to get a solid center disk without springs if clearance is a problem.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

The 10.5'' disc clears everything.
    Hunt up a '54 -'55 first series flywheel for next go-round; they take a Long - B&B type pressure ass'y and are a direct interchange. 5000 - 6000 series trucks are 11'' !

7. Mr 302GMC...You need to learn what "Long" and B&B mean...totally two different styles
    Long style pressure plate has three groups of two bolt on holes..
    B & B style uses six evenly spaced bolt on holes..
    Clarify your above statement Please...