Register now to get rid of these ads!

1. Has anyone ever used a Fiero clip?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elrusto, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Elrusto

Elrusto

Ok, I know its not traditional but neither is a MII.
    A Fiero front end was given to me the other day and it looks like it might be pretty easy to put in my 47' Fleet line. Its 33" wide outside to outside (frame) and 6-7" deep from the bottom of the frame to bottom of the cross member.
    Best of it unbolts from the donor car rack and all.

2. brewsir

brewsir

seems to me a rear engine car thats really small and lightweight may not be the best choice for a front engine heavy car like yours.....I'm no expert!

3. Elrusto

Elrusto

The suspension parts are pretty heavy-duty lookin'.
    As far as the springs go, Id pitch them and use bags anyway.

4. A guy I know used one. It was easy enough, but it has an odd bolt pattern(he's still running the ugly fiero wheels).
    Whats the track width? Thats the most important issue. The other thing I'd be concerned with is parts availability. The Fiero was a real POS and is getting hard to find.

5. Scott B

Scott B
    from Colorado?

They carry about 1600 pounds on the front end - stock...

Fleetlines, not Fieros.

6. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I understand they work better than the alternatives when you are restoring a Fiero.

Frank

7. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

those front ends should RULE for streetrodders... they work really well with a full fendered A sedan. I have a friend who uses one. The rack attached and all go with as one unit for $75 or so at your local junk yard, disk brakes etc...

tuck

8. In an effort to save costs,the first generation Fiero used Chevette front suspension.That is why they didn't handle as well as some people expected.I don't know how much was changed for the second generation.
    I'd rather use the rear suspension,with a V8. [​IMG]

9. OOH I think I did a Fiero once after to much Tiquila and some spoiled meat. I don't think I'd go there.
    The Wizzard

10. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Unkl's right...Chevette parts is my understanding. Did the second generation involve mechanical or just cosmetic changes? I don't know...
    On the 'Vette the upper and lower ball joints were tiny and known for wearing (or TEARING) out...the control arms were small and thin gauge and the rack had a so so attachment to the little crossmember.
    Worth a transplant into a heavier vehicle?
    I wouldn't even transplant it into a vehicle that is the SAME weight. They worried me enough on Chevettes!
    Hell, the upper ball joint was configured with 2 positions...when the front end started to sag you could pop out the joint and turn it 180 degrees and it would return the excess camber to normal (Give or take)! Tough setup, huh?

Bill

11. I've always heard that the Fiero used citation running gear.
    Either way I'd choke whenever anyone asked what front suspension I had. Same thing with the Pacer front end,. I'd have to lie about using pacer parts. [​IMG]

12. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

I prolly wouldnt... my expierence has been that if its not already being done, it prolly isnt worth looking into. Not for all cases, but for the most part if its used an out there... it woulda been a hit before now.

[​IMG]

13. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Not a word, Jay...not a word!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. JamesG

JamesG

That would'nt be my first choice either, but like I have always said "a poor man has poor man ways". I can be a cheap bastard on some things, but when it comes to anthing concering my families safety, I DO NOT cut corners. Thats price wize or quality wize. I'v seen some StangII kits pretty reasonable in mags. Or you can do like on my sedan delivery and use a stock stangII front ends from a junkyard. You will need to rebuild what needs rebuilding though. Now back to that Fiero clip, the one good thing about them is that that clip should'nt have many miles on it considering its a Fiero.......

15. This one time, at band camp... [​IMG]

Jay

16. Elrusto

Elrusto

Im not tryin' to be cheap or cut corners, Im just askin' a question. I could do a MII easily. Ive got every thing to do that with. Just wondering if it had been before!

17. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Understandable! You never know what will turn up that might work!

Bill

18. Nothing wrong with cheap!

19. fiero had citation x-car front wheel drive mounted in the rear. the front suspension was chevette front. the 1988 fiero's had all aluminum suspension made by Lotus...that would be the stuff to use,if you could find it at a reasonable price

20. Elrusto

Elrusto

This one is an 86'. Didnt know about the Chevette ball joint problems. I went to work real quick and looked up both cars, same shit on both cars. Oh well just a thought.

21. JamesG

JamesG

You never know until you ask. And theres a lot a knowledge on here.

22. [ QUOTE ]
    the 1988 fiero's had all aluminum suspension made by Lotus..

[/ QUOTE ]
    Aluminum front and rear?

23. yes,all aluminum 1988 (last year) front and rear. that's why the 88's bring big money and the early cars they can't hardly give away. i don't usually admit it,but i worked on a `86 GT a few years back for a guy who was SCCA racing in ITS class. there are a lot of performance/upgrade parts available for them. there is a kit to fix the front ball joint problem and allow more adjustment...to upgrade the brakes from the single 3/8" unventelated rotors, chevy beretta front 1" vented rotors/pads/calipers bolt on both front and rear with just a little grinding.. i'd recogmend putting these on IF i was gonna use the front clip on anything,which i would never do

24. Deuce Rails

Deuce Rails

[ QUOTE ]
    fiero had citation x-car front wheel drive mounted in the rear. the front suspension was chevette front. the 1988 fiero's had all aluminum suspension made by Lotus...that would be the stuff to use,if you could find it at a reasonable price

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the right information.

Check here for specific part numbers: http://www.fieros.de/en/aftermarket.html
    This is good, too: http://www.fiero.org/advertise.html

Also check the kit car sites, as a lot of the replica Countach models use stretched Fieros as a donor.

25. I like the idea of putting a SBC with a Fiero/FWD transaxle in the back of a hotrod.Compact design,engine tranny and diff in one package.The hood could be real low and narrow.
    But the engine hangs too far forward from the axle centerline,so it screws up the proportions.

26. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Ian, just to keep your dream alive...
    You COULD run your shafts forward from the stock location without too much trouble. That would set the engine further back in a given chassis. Check out an Intrepid for a good example.
    They run the FWD setup front to back so the axles leave the tranny a good ways behind the axle centerline and run forward. Just think...those misplaced joints still have to deflect for steering as well! In the rear that isn't a problem.
    Just a thought... [​IMG]
    Bill

27. Sam F.

Sam F.
    BANNED

Steve lived on the next street over and had a badd brand new 88 fiero GT,it was white and had the ground effects ,it was SOO COOL ,and all the neighborhood chicks were on his JOCK,,,i wanted a fiero TOO!!