Register now to get rid of these ads!

1/4 Elliptic steering arm ?s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nobux, Mar 6, 2005.

1. nobux

nobux

I built my t bucket with 1/4 elliptic springs, 36 undropped axle, and split 35 wishbones. I was in a hurry last summer to get her on the road, so I switched the spindles side to side and ran the tie rod in front of the axle. I bent the steering arms out, so the tie rod ends almost touched the backing plates, trying to get something close to correct Ackerman. Not close enough, the car skips and hops on every slow tight turn.

Yesterday I switched the spindles again, and tried bending the steering arms up , so the tie rod would be ABOVE the wishbones. That's not going to work. Does anyone else running 1/4 elliptics in the front have a solution?

My options as I see them are:(1) Use Total Performances steering arms that kick the tie rod way outboard. But I really don't like the look. (2) Use Chassis Engineerings deep drop arms and try running under the wishbones and the springs. It'll be close. (3) Flip the wishbones upside down , and pie cut them to bring back caster angle. This should give me enough room to go above the 'bones. Here's a bad pic of the front.

[​IMG]

Any ideas or advice would be apreciated,

Karl

2. How about fabricating new arms from tubing and 1/2" plate similar to these ? You could use the top spindle holes and your tie rod would pass over the top of your springs and wishbones.

Attached Files:

3. nobux

nobux

I thought about that, in fact I was looking at the Sprint steering arms from Speedway.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    But, again, I just don't like the looks.

4. TomH used Magnum deep drop arms flipped upside down and swapped side for side to get the tierod ABOVE the bones. Works nice.

5. nobux

nobux

Tman, that's was I was thinking about last night. In fact I was just on Parr's website looking at them. That will probably be the answer.

Nobux