Register now to get rid of these ads!

0 to 200 mph in 1.5 years.... Step 1 - ummmm, metalshapes?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Oh holy hell whodaky - That is NICE. I wonder if the commercial Deuce shells have that ridge? I have a shell at home I'll have to check....if it does maybe we should do it this way?

Ryan and I haven't really sat down and talked about what we're willing to add or remove once we get to the salt. That nose is incredible and genius, but I think it could be kind of lame to get there and start bolting on all kinds of bodywork - "Wait a second dude, I can't make a pass until I've got my spoiler, roof stabilizers, and raked A pillar module bolted on." Haha. But again, that nose is incredible and definitely no where near the lame category.

2. That clip is happenin'! If y'all wind up going with the Chrisman coop '40 Ford hoods, but cooling is a concern, maybe you could try putting in cooling, and put removeable panels. You run it open, then dzus'em up when you get there...

Attached Files:

3. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I actually thought of that last week...or I told Ryan about it last week. I had thought of the same thing on one of my drives to Joplin to see the family. And I really like the idea.

4. A longer wheelbase will aid high speed stability,
    and give you more room for all the parts your going to have to squeeze in there.

I had a '47 Pontiac hood I was going to use,they are 5 feet long.
    Some serious trimming on the front corners,and a big pie cut out of the middle,
    would create a beautiful Bonneville style hood.

5. whodaky

whodaky
    from Aust

Thankyou Grimlock. I know where you are coming from with the bolt on dilemma. It is even a pain for us to have to take it off the race car for transport. When it is in it's box it takes up a lot of room in the pickup. But as I said the clearances to the suspension are so close, that if it was bolted on the race car during transport it would get damaged. We even played with adjustment on the front axle one year at the salt and found the axle touched the nose, so had to make some on site adjustments to the nose.
    This is really an exciting project. The real neat part is the wealth of knowledge that is available in the HAMB think tank. Geoff aka Whodaky

6. Nimrod

Nimrod

Just to make sure you know...you do need a tow vehicle on the salt. You can drive there if you want, but I believe the rules state that the race vehicle cannot power itself anywhere on the salt but down the racecourse. And there are a few rules for the tow vehicle as well, at least a CB and fire extinguisher have to be on board.

I'm sure you'll end up bringing a support vehicle any way with all the tools, extra parts, race tires, and any help that will be coming with you.

7. [ QUOTE ]
    I hear you Kenny. There's no actual motor yet so we're still listening.

As far as aerodynamics go I'm looking at it this way. The N49er guys are running really close to 200...but they have the advantage of a roadster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the N49ers are running a stout BBC and it's not street worthy (? sorry if I'm wrong!)

You guys will have your hands full for the right street/200mph combination...!

Curries roadster did 254mph (?) and was classified as a streetable car. He ran a BBF and his own "Special Rearend"...!

May I suggest a drivetrain combination...?

I have access to "Brett Bodines" Ford small block engine (complete) which dynoed out at 675 hp and is designed to run a 3,300 lb stockcar at speeds around 200 mph for 500 miles at a sustained 9 grand (No B/S)...!

This car has the small 5 in clutch and a bell housing for a 6 speed tranny...!!!

I also have access to various Quickchange rear ends and any gearset you'd desire...!

Interested...???

8. Now THATS an offer!

I think everyone here needs to buy a rulebook whether you ever step foot on the salt or not. Lots of ideas thrown out that just dont cut it when you read the rules. My boss and I spend many lunch hours discussing his Salt Program. When I first went out there in 02, I came back with a 1st timer spectator perspective, and a case of AWE! My boss still thought everything out there looked like the Pierson Bros coupe.

As for buying the rulebook, order one, great reading, will make the classifications understandable and the money goes to support the Salt! [​IMG]

9. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

On the driving the car to the Salt. The #996 roadster that ran in 01', ran 200mph and set a record and then drove home to St. Louis. It was red oxide primer and is the "PPG" ad car now. It was a real neat looking roadster, and they stuffed that engine inside the hood. I have pix on a disc somewhere, I know that DRD and Carps know the guy from STL.

Chris

10. Not only that, but after it was blown apart and detailed, it was a contender for the AMBR trophy, whilst it didn't win it did go home with a couple of major awards. It has also run a sub ten second quarter mile and can smoke the hides all the way down the track too.

If you look closely at the car, it appears to have bobbed front frame horns. However that's not the case, the grille shelll is relocated forward as it houses not only the radiator but a bloody big intercooler for the twin turbos. The hood is extended to fit and the whole deal fits under said hood with no power bulges or holes.

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Anyone got a picture of this thing?

12. DRD57

DRD57

Stirnemann/Lange engine

Attached Files:

13. DRD57

DRD57

996 in race trim

Attached Files:

14. DRD57

DRD57

The car is in the DuPont ads that run monthly in the Goodguys Gazette. That's Jack Stirnemann driving.

It was at Columbus and several other Goodguys events in 2002. Anyone who has my CD from that year can see several pictures of it.

Here is the text of an article that I wrote on the car for SRM.

The Ultimate Shake Down

Many hot rodders totally build their cars without paint, polish and plating at first. This gives them the opportunity to give the car a shake down to make sure everything is just the way they want it. Small changes can be made and then the car is blown apart for the shiny stuff and final detailing. Some of us actually get stuck in a perpetual shake down but that’s a whole different story.

Jack and Harry Stirnemann along with support from George Lange have built a deuce roadster that can do it all. This docile looking street car with a turbocharged small block Chevy was built with the goals of running nines in the quarter, getting in the 200 mph club at Bonneville, being reliable enough to drive across country, and taking home some trophies at the car shows. After having run some nine second quarter mile E.T.’s, Jack was going for the Street Rod Shootout at the Goodguys event at Indy. Jack is no stranger to this competition having won it before in Harry’s turbocharged six cylinder 37 Chevy coupe. Unfortunately, the turbos on the roadster made so much boost at the line that the brakes couldn’t hold the car in the staging beams and Jack took off before the tree was even activated. Eventhough they didn’t win the Street Rod Shootout, the car had proved itself capable at the drags. The next stop was the salt flats.

As a newcomer to Bonneville Jack had to make 3 licensing passes, one below 150 mph, one below 175 mph and one below 200 mph. The first run he hit about 140 and seemed concerned about the car being able to go much faster. Horsepower wasn’t a problem but he said it was like driving on ice. The second run was about 168 and Jack seemed a little more comfortable because the car handled about the same as it did at 140. The final licensing run, which by the way was against a 178 mph record, was 199.903 mph (on the short course). That’s about as close as you can get on a licensing run without going over. Jack got his license and qualified for the record on the same run. The car had to sit in impound for the rest of the day. The SCTA would have allowed them to work on the car for a total of 4 hours while in impound but the car was so dialed in, they didn’t even need to check the plugs. The next morning Jack went back out on the short course and ran 191 setting a new record in D/BSTR at 195.657. That was great but not good enough for them. They wanted to get into the 200 mph club. After getting out of scrutineering they went straight to the staging line for the long course where Jack went 204.416 mph. Again the car went into impound for the rest of the day. This time they did have to wipe a little oil off of the engine but it still didn’t need any work. Wednesday morning Jack reset the record in D/BSTR at 203.057.

When they were done racing at Bonneville the third goal was met by taking the race equipment off the car, reinstalling the windshield, seat and street tires and driving the car all the way back to St. Louis. Having completed its shake down run in fine style, it’s now being prepared to achieve the fourth goal. At the time of this writing, the roadster is apart getting the final paint, plating and polishing necessary to make it a contender for the car show trophies.

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I've seen this car in person and I can tell you it is one of the best jobs of engine compartment packageing I've ever seen. It's a prime example of "a place for everything and everything in it's place". An incredible car.

Frank

16. DRD57

DRD57

street/show trim

Attached Files:

17. Anderson

Anderson

Another slow day at work lead to a few drawings. First in '30-'31 form (though a bit out of proportion...), then a '28-'29, first channeled then on '32 rails. The grill....I'm thinking something like a '39 Ford opening for the street, with a sheetmetal cover in place for racing...

[​IMG]

18. could they have just used a 35 ford roof cap/upper W/S opening on the perimeter of an A ? [​IMG]

19. Henry Floored

Henry Floored

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hear you Kenny. There's no actual motor yet so we're still listening.

As far as aerodynamics go I'm looking at it this way. The N49er guys are running really close to 200...but they have the advantage of a roadster.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the N49ers are running a stout BBC and it's not street worthy (? sorry if I'm wrong!)

You guys will have your hands full for the right street/200mph combination...!

Curries roadster did 254mph (?) and was classified as a streetable car. He ran a BBF and his own "Special Rearend"...!

May I suggest a drivetrain combination...?

I have access to "Brett Bodines" Ford small block engine (complete) which dynoed out at 675 hp and is designed to run a 3,300 lb stockcar at speeds around 200 mph for 500 miles at a sustained 9 grand (No B/S)...!

This car has the small 5 in clutch and a bell housing for a 6 speed tranny...!!!

I also have access to various Quickchange rear ends and any gearset you'd desire...!

Interested...???

[/ QUOTE ]

I like that! The "trickle down" benefit of all this NASCAR stuff is far reaching and valuable. A bunch of Mustang drag racers use pieces from the NASCAR teams. In fact while attending an NMRA event at Orlando Speedworld the former NFL coach Jerry Glanville, who also did a little oval track racing, shows up with a humongous all black Western Star transporter. He rolled out the rattiest `74 Torino I've seen in a long time. When he qualified the car the boat ran like 11.30's. No narrow rear, wagon wheels, full body and int, all steel and painted with a brush, license plates and street legal. I could'nt believe it so I walk back to the pits and low and behold a Craftsman Truck 358" Ford is sit'in between the framerails. That was by far the most potent street sleeper I've ever seen. Be cool to see the "A" with some kick ass Ford power motorvate'in down the salt!

20. If things don't work out you can ride around with Duane and I and clean outhouses!