Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Goodwood Festival

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fuel pump, Dec 4, 2005.

1. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I just finished watching Goodwood on Speed. If you like seeing old performance and race cars, you have to like Goodwood. Fantasic old race cars driven by some of the best drivers that ever lived. It's great to see those cars on the tract again.
    They also had a nice section of the 50th anniversary of the SMC. It certainly played a major role in motorsports in Europe as well as the US. A cool show if you get a chance to see a rerun.

2. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I like it too did you see a few years ago when they had the Hemi Under Glass there he was doing wheelys and lost it and hit the hay bales. Its cool to see the old iron some of it priceless still raced.

bret

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Goodwood is one place I dream about attending, always looks like everyone is having a good time. Must be great to hear all that stuff run up the hill.

4. Me too Bob.

We usually have a few UK HAMBers that attend. Is it as much fun as it looks guys?

5. Capt. Cal

Capt. Cal
    from Newton NJ

i remember last year, i forget the driver, but the one for subaru started doing donuts in the grass, and then started to hang out the window as he did that. Goodwood was awsome. i look forward to watching everyear on speed.

6. All that & much, much more...

I have been 5 times, each time as a marshall....almost unrestricted access to some of the rarest & most stunning cars ever built.

I have sat in the Pierson Bros Coupe, push started the Ray Brown Roadster, spent 3 hours with Phil Hill as he signed autographs, he his such a humble man.

Met Carrol Shelby, Smokey Yunick, Junior Johnson, Barry Sheene, Manuel Gonzales, Alex Zydias, Stirling Moss, Mario Andretti, Jacky Ickx and many, many other world champions & legends, seen cars I'd only ever seen in books, rubbed shoulders with legends....

If you EVER get the chance to attend.....DO IT. You will never regret it.

7. My highlight was watching and hearing the Golden Submarine run the hill. It may only be a replica but it was still the coolest thing.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Does anyone know how the car selection works? I know they have a theam every year and I guess they send out people looking for cars to fit that years main collection. Do they have special shipping arrangements set up. I just think it must be such an honor to have someone think your car is worth the trip across the pond.

9. I watched it yesterday as well. Racing Colors was the theme, was this indeed the 2005 Festival? They said they would air the second part but did not say when.

I dig the 20s-30s cars!

10. Lord March has a dedicated team of 'car hunters' that work full time tracking down old race cars & drivers by going back in the history books & doing detective work.

Many of the major car companies have their old race cars in museums & they will acrually get them going specially for the event, H*nda did it a few years back with their 1967 (I think) V16 F1 car that hadn't run in many years....

As for the shipping of the cars, one of the main sponsors of the event is the German airline, Lufthansa, they have a cargo fleet that brings them to the event. Its a pretty major undertaking.

Check out the Goodwood website for more.... www.goodwood.co.uk/fos/

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thank you Dave. One of the Goodwood features that I enjoy seeing on TV and magazine coverage is the "Centerpiece" on the front lawn every year, that is true automotive art in my opinion.

12. ROADRUNNER

ROADRUNNER
    from LONDON

Goodwood Festival is every bit as good as you've heard, but for me the Goodwood Revival is better. Balls-out track racing as opposed to the Formula 1 demonstration runs up the hill which the Festial has increasingly become.

Couple of pics below from this year, loads more at my sites

http://www.bonneville-speed-week.smugmug.com/

www.fluidimages.co.uk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

what i think is cool is that the cars that they let run are not only historically significant, but they let stuff like the thacker and shine model bonneville car run, which has no historical signifcance (in terms of years), but has set recent history in the LSR. They seem to let all round great cars run, like the Hemi under glass, etc...

14. noboD

noboD

Part 2 was on today, if you didn't see it hope it airs again. The cat in the Renault R5 was doing donuts the whole way up the course, several times it looked like he was about to roll over. Looked like fun!! It would indeed be a good trip to see.

15. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

It is repeating today on the Speed Channel this afternoon. It is on @ 2pm here is the midwest.

Chris Nelson
    Kansas

16. peanut

peanut

MAN! 4ever4 your one lucky dude to be able to go and see all of that great stuff !!!