Register now to get rid of these ads!

need computer help... or... i really am blonde... o/t

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mel, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Mel

Mel

Ok guys if this is fixable, I figure someone here would know how to do it. I know I should've been more careful (note: already kicking myself here) but what's done is done.

On Wednesday I was cleaning up my computer and burning disks of all my folders I'd accumulated over the past couple of years. Somehow I missed one folder... one big folder that had all my photos from trips and shows over the past two years and deleted it. Yep. And it's already gone from my recycle bin.

Is there anything I can do to bring this folder or at very least parts of it back?

TIA

2. It might be possible to recover, if the disc space hasn't been over written by another file. The files aren't deleted, but are marked as that part of the drive is now available for rewrite.

Look here for an easy explaination and a free recovery program that can be run from a floppy if needed.

Hopefully you know the name of the folder and the names of the files. This will help locate them for recovery.

You may also want to get this utility program on another computer, so it won't have a chance to over write the folder space you are trying to recover.

http://aumha.org/a/recover.php

http://aumha.org/downloads/restoration.exe

Hope this helps.

3. Mel

Mel

It's talking a while, but so far I've recovered a couple hundred of the thousands of photos I lost. And even at that, I'm totally stoked. Thanks a bunch!!! :cool:

4. Brad S.

Brad S.

Try this as well.

LINK

5. Glad to hear you're able to recover some of your files.

The faster you can fix a problem like this, the better chance that the drive sectors haven't been over written and the info lost for good.

Good luck and hope you can get a bunch more recovered!

6. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Seeing as how we are talking about recovery ...
    Have you used, or do you have an opinion about "Ghost" from Norton?
    If I understand how it works, it leaves a copy of files in a different location. (trouble is; I don't think it can be installed "after the fact" - loss of files)
    I have "bailed" myself out of a similar problem with this program, but it seems to slow the computer down quite a bit.

7. DrJ

DrJ

These words "windows" and .exe are foreign...
    Is there something like this for Mac users? :confused:

8. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Hi Doc, how ya doin'?
    If your refering to "Recovery Programs"; I did a quick search off my Norton product, but they don't seem to support "Mac's."

Here is the site (product list) if you want to browse.

>>> http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/backup_recovery/ghost10/index.html

Maybe some other Mac users can reply?
    Dave

9. Mel

Mel

Blacksix... I tried that freeundelete. Is there a way I can get it to search for the lost folder and not the "C" drive? I can't seem to get it to do that.

Luckily I've recovered about half of the files with program jetdctr posted.

Thanks again guys!

10. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Mel, tap your toes together three times and; Repeat after me; "I will backup my files MORE often." ... "I will backup my files MORE often!"

The voice of experience speaking! :D :D
    Go slow and easy; and good luck!

11. Mel

Mel

I don't have any ruby red slippers... will ruby red stilettos work? :D

12. Jdee

Jdee

You might want to try
    http://www.r-undelete.com/
    You could use the demo to see if the files are there.
    Its a good program.
    Jdee

13. MiketheRat

MiketheRat

ill have to remember how to do this. i always do stuff like that whoops!

14. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Hey Mel, was trying to make you feel a bit better! (humour always helps) :D

I can understand your frustration of the loss of files. Just over a year ago I had my computer literally "burn up" (cooling fan failed and the hard drive got "wiped") and I lost a huge amount of pictures and text files. (I do technical writing) Many of the pictures were irreplaceable.

In an effort to prevent this ever happening again, I looked at various ways of "Backing Up" more frequently. OR, keeping more than one copy. (putting the same picture into at least TWO files)

To keep the system from telling me that, "That file already exists" I ALWAYS (now) put a more detailed description of each picture, (looking at a "whack" of jpeg numbers can get confusing) and put an "A" in front of the description of the first one, and a "B" in front of the second copy.

I keep both the "A's" and "B's" in the same FOLDER but different FILES. (one file called "A" pictures; the other file "B" pictures) Makes it go faster when it comes time to do a comparision with the DVD(s) mentioned in the next step.

THEN! (and there is a sign over my computer to remind me!) AT LEAST once a week, I "burn" a DVD of the files that have been added during the previous week. If the material (text and pictures) is VERY important, I "burn" separate DVDs of BOTH the "A" AND "B" pictures. (my DVD recorder allows me to add more material until the disk is full) Some people might think this a little "over kill"; but when you have a deadline for submissions, and the pictures are an important part of the submission; I call it EXTRA INSURANCE!!

About once a month, I do a comparison of the contents of the DVD(s) and the computer folders to make sure the pictures made it to the DVD, (and related text files) and THEN delete them from the computer.

Sounds complicated; but once you get into the habbit of doing it each week, it becomes second nature.

I'm sorry if this sounds like the "ramblings" of a "dumb 'OLE GUY", but when I read your "plea", it reminded me of what had happened to me and how I'm trying to make sure it NEVER happens again!!!!

Oh BTW, ... stilettos will work!! :D :D

15. Mel

Mel

A...B.... Huh? My head is spinning....

I think I'll just put all my pics on a CD from now on. I am glad that some of the files could be found.... well, at least they were the important ones anyway (people, ect). Nearly all my car pics were lost though..... oh well... those can be retaken. I smell a road trip coming on :D

Thanks again.

16. Digger_Dave

Digger_Dave
    Member Emeritus

Yep, THAT'S the simple version!
    Take care; and good talking to you!

Road trip ... need a co-pilot? :D :D
    Dave

17. dsanchez

dsanchez
    BANNED
    from Burnham,IL

IF you have microsoft xp you might want to try this:

Got to Start(bottom left corner) and hit that button
    Then hit ALL PROGRAMS
    Then go to the area where it say ACCESSORIES
    THen to the area where it says SYSTEM TOOLS
    after that go down to where it shows SYSTEM RESTORE
    and follow its directions !! Real easy just go back a day before you made all those changes and it will look like it did before all those changes.

after you get there save those files !!! and then follow the directions again and put it back on todays date
    hope this helps!!!!!!!!

18. Mel

Mel

You know, I was trying to figure out how to system restore when this first happened. And it probably would have worked better than all the recovery had I caught it. Interesting thing was that it brought back the main folder, with all 109 subfolders, mostly empty. Only a couple still had photos (which I'd already restored) in them.

Oh well, worth a shot and definately on my "tools to remember" list now!

Dave, you wanna be my co-pilot? Hmmmm... well I DO gotta come back to Minnesota and drive my car out here to LA this summer. Can ya handle a 2000 mile trip with a trailer on the back of a '59 Dodge? Cuz that's MY plan! You can actually hear my dad turn green with sickness when I told him my plan..... :D I think he's only excited about working on the car together before I leave.

19. Steve

Steve