Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage OFFICIAL Vintage Torque Fest 2014 Thread May 2-4 Dubuque Iowa

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coolstuff, Dec 17, 2013.

1. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is one of those gray areas. Technically the wheels are from the 70s. Not Pre 64. That also rules out all rally wheels technically. If you want to make these types of quick decisions, in a few seconds of looking at a car, have a nearly endless depth of what is "period correct", and can take being yelled at on a regular basis by pissed off guys, I nominate you for the inspection gate next year. No matter which way you send a car like this, someone will bitch. I am sorry for the rant, but I heard way too much whining this year from people in both lots. Let's just remember what this is for. It is not for a parking spot, it is for helping families that have children with heart defects.

2. Low Black Special

Low Black Special
    from SE Iowa

I volunteered. Parked cars Saturday from 10 till noon at the very far end of the lot. It sure did fill up fast. I will be volunteering again next year. I think I met long, and I saw the camel toe kid, but didnt get a chance to introduce myself. There were HAMB tags everywhere.

3. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

I have no issues with whatever call is made since it ain't my show. But consistency is needed. I don't know many "period correct" cars with radials, HEI ignitions, base coat/clear coat paint jobs, or air ride suspensions. Rules is rules. My only fear is that some of the folks being sent to the other lot feel like they're second class. I realize that's not the intent.

I also understand that it's for charity, however if people feel like second class, then they may choose to donate elsewhere.

I didn't intend on starting a flame war over something as trifle as this nor do I envy those who have to make the decision.

4. Thats funny i met allot of people n didnt know they were hambers ! Guess they forgot the secret hand shake! Went to the hamb breakfast n didnt see anyone jus the locals unless they recognized me n didnt wanna talk to me! Nice people everywhere!

5. Well exept for me im an asshole!!

6. Master of None

Master of None

And a bit of a window licker!:D

7. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I managed to put in a few minutes of volunteer work during the show.

8. haychrishay

haychrishay

I passed you in the way up. that is one of the coolest sedan deliveries I've seen. Who cares if they dont like your painted wheels.

9. 40FordDeluxe

40FordDeluxe

John and all who helped, it was awesome! I don't know if moving the non traditional area was a last minute descion on Saturday, but I think that was awesome. They were still technically in the gate, and you guys sure needed the extra parking. I was glad you guys had great weather and such a great turn out! The burn out location was perfect and it was cool to be able to see it all going on from the stands. Hopefully next year I can get in on some of the art auction action. This is such a great cause! Also, please tell the flat track guys thanks for sticking it out through the rain and putting on a show. I'm sure that was no fun for them.

Last edited: May 5, 2014
  10. Our club, the Tin Butchers from northern Illinois, have run the swapmeet for John for the last 4 years at the T-Fest (and 2 years at the Iron Invasion); I feel it's an honor to do so. If you've never volunteered, you may want to try it; you will feel so good about helping out a worthy cause. (altho I don't get yelled at too much handling the swapmeet as compared to what an inspector mite), that mite make a difference.

Parking the "other" cars inside the gate was a decision made Sat. morning so those guys felt more like they were a part of the show. We were supposed to have that area for the swapmeet, but as it turned out it all worked out; don't know about next year if this thing keeps growing as it is....we just about ran out of room for the vendors who came in Sat. AM.
    Personally, I'd like to give a big thanks to every volunteer that helped at the show, everyone of you are a needed and a valued part of the event.
    Long live T-Fest !

PS:...heychrishay, that sedan delivery is awesome.

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  11. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You must have blended in with the locals. We were in the banquet (meeting) room. Myself, bobwop, mertaw, and mertaw Sr. I even went over on the restaurant side to see if anyone looked like a HAMBer (we have a look, ya know) I had my '53 Ford parked out front hoping to draw more attention. Wish I could have met ya. Next year maybe????

12. iarodder

iarodder

Wish we could have made the breakfast, maybe next year......We missed you guys.:cool:

13. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

yup, it wasn't the same without you Anthony

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

being rather generous aren't you?

you did a great job of keeping the main building organized Steve. I always enjoy seeing you and your Dad's wonderful 36 Cabriolet

15. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Hey! Thats my job! besides I talked to ya. and sorry about you having to lay in the mud for your fuel pump too.

16. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Sam you guys did an awesome job again this year great swap meet again.

17. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations to Amy and Gene.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rickman454

rickman454
    from Marion, IA

Thanks. The wife and I had a great time. We will be back next year.

I remember you passing me by Anamosa, I believe. That old Ford was movin!

19. A Boner

A Boner

Hey John Wells.........

Why bother with a "criteria"? I walked past lots of cars that I thought were "uninteresting", to put it kindly, so walking past a few more would be no problem. Everyone has a different idea of what is cool. Let everyone in, AND TAKE THEIR MONEY! In the future, when the grounds are too crowded, then start up the "criteria" thing. Or move to a bigger venue. Until that happens, let everyone in, and TAKE THEIR MONEY!

Also, hire a photographer that knows COOL hot rods and customs, and post his pictures on the H.A.M.B., post a ton of them! Don't post pic's of the cars that miss the mark, just the ones that represent what you want the show to become. You do do a great job of promoting the show, before the show. After the show a bunch of pictures of the COOL cars that attended would encourage more COOL cars to attend in the future.

Use the extra money you get from the super p.o.s. cars to pay for the photographer.

See you at the Iron Invasion!.......I hear it might be in September....hope so.

20. fro5555

fro5555
    from No IL.

Another great show. Thanks John......... I always enjoy helpin out with the swapmeet, & seeing all the good old parts & the friends we have made over the years. Lets all keep this going for Hanna after all that's what this is all about. Thanks to the swapers, cars, and to all the people who helped out.

21. qoute:"See you at the Iron Invasion!.......I hear it might be in September"

Iron Invasion is Oct 4th, 2014

http://www.ironinvasion.com/

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  22. BENT VALVE

BENT VALVE

23. rawcjw19

rawcjw19

Thanks for a great show!!!!!!!!!! We had a lot of fun, I took my 11 yr old boy and he enjoyed it very much. Even bought a part for his vintage bicycle at the swap. Later I'll post some of the pics he took, it's pretty interesting to see some pictures through an 11 year olds eyes. We also hit the swap meet at Monticello on the way home that is a good one if you haven't been.

24. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aboner, what most people don't understand is that everyone pays the same. Spectators, participants, everyone. We just divide up the parking. Spectators, friends, and criteria meeters. The gate money goes to a family with a child with a heart defect, after expenses are covered.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks for the support from all that GET THE REASON WHY WE DO THIS SHOW....
    there is no way we will ever please everyone.
    If you don't like our show..... stay home.
    If your "happiness" is dependent on where you park at our show.... stay home.
    If you are offended by some 4 door early sixties beater that has been lowered with different wheels.........
    stay home.
    My family (meaning blood and volunteer family) pour thousands of hours into this show. For us this is a cause that is worthwhile, and it is a fun time. I can see why the Hunnert Car Pile Up decided to close up shop. They had so many people complaining about all the wrong cars getting in etc.........
    ANYONE wanting to complain about what is getting in - please take your turn on the inspection gate. I was personally told to F off 3 times this weekend for turning things away. And one of those I threatened to call the sheriff.
    You think that is fun?
    I just don't understand how some shows that are considered traditional (and VERY popular here on the HAMB) get a total pass, and then shows like ours people bash. Frustrating to say the least.
    And let me just say that if you are REALLY wanting to have a show - start your own. There are many out there trying to do just that. I wish them luck and hope that all the critics will be as harsh with the new shows as they are with ours.

Future of the show:
    I now have 2 full time gigs - so you wont see me much this year. Since we don't make an income from this show (aside from shirt sales - all gate proceeds have to pay for the show which costs WAY more than anyone knows), we have to get more money coming in the door. So I hope those that want to see this show continue will say GOOD things about it, otherwise it will wither away, and there will be no traditional shows in Iowa.

26. GoinGreen

GoinGreen

I drag as many of my friends and family along as possible. The ride home was filled with conversation about them bringing their friends and family. Most have been to a good guys event and that is their expectation of what they are about to attend. They are all floored by how much action is going on and the level of energy. Let the haters hate, we will replace them with the "right" crowd.

My fiance even gets excited to go to the show. It's really about reliving childhood fun. I get to go around collecting all my favorite Hotwheels (pictures), and she gets to play dress up with her friends.

I will see you in January at the rewind Mr. Wells.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

27. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Thanks for the link - good set of images!

28. Hell i jus pull in the gate n park! Dont know if i parked in the SHOW CAR parking or the other! Dont know n dont care! John n Kim thanx for the awsome show n hope it gets better n better! Its for a cause people now get over it! Goin green nice to see new young blood coming here n remember i was jus like you! Well a long time ago! Hey LONG think your bunch pushed me outa the mud! THANX! You saved this fat ol man much grief!

29. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife and I just had our 20 week ultrasound. Thankfully, all is well. Sitting in that room awaiting what will be found is nerve racking and really hits home the reason for this show.

Think about it. There is the MDA Labor Day Telethon, March of Dimes Walk, and other functions that help children and families in need.

Luckily, John stepped up and promotes a fantastic hot rod show and culture event that also gives to the community as well as helps Hannah.

What do we get? Another reason to drive our hot rods, a killer swap meet, great vendors, excellent bands, fantastic art. I think you get my point.

For all of that, I say THANK YOU.

For those that wish to bitch and complain, think about the big picture. If you're still pissy, your life must really suck.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. He he he what he says! You suck lol!