Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical S.O.S. need trouble shooter/tuner Las Vegas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36tudordeluxe, May 2, 2014.

1. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Got a 276 flathead with 4 barrel and electronic ignition, starts immediately but runs rough as soon as I throttle up. Please PM if you're available, will pay for time.

2. Is the carbs power valve/accelerator pump working? Is your distributors advance working? Check those first. Describe "running rough".

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  3. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

See "Installing distributor in an 8BA" in the early Ford 1932-'53 on this site.

4. Three Widow's Garage

Three Widow's Garage

Do you have a ballast resistor wired in for the coil?

5. jw johnston

jw johnston

Pm me. I work at a small restoration shop in Vegas and would be glad to help you out.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Went with two different resistors, one recommended for the Mallory coil and one recommended by Jim Linder from Bubba's, both with the same results. Sent distributor to Bubba's, checked out fine, returned with coil with proper resistance that stands alone without external resistor and still didn't solve problem. Bubba's is convinced problem lies elsewhere, tend to agree. Will look at carb. next, but ran perfect on test stand with no load, no load with engine in the car runs terrible. Accelerator pump seems to be working fine but am going to remove carb. and explore further.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  7. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Just a guess , but if no load runs ok on stand but not in car, I'd check gas tank or supply line? Jack

8. 36tudordeluxe

36tudordeluxe

Going to investigate from tank to carb.

9. Also check for some type of vacuum leak. We once did a car, you could run it all day long at any rpm range with no load, but the second you put it on a load, it pulled a gasket.