Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Nasty Habit Willys....part 2. Rearend, firewall structure,engine mts + misc".

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kiwi Kev, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Algon

Algon

"Got a sbc magneto at the same swap meet for $200. I've always wanted one but that was the first one that I could afford"

Huh?:confused: Willys project car, that awesome garage, Crager gas pedal, magnesium wheels, trips to New Zealand, etc etc. but a dime a dozen SBC magneto is nearly unobtainable? Priorities man...:) Very cool car, the Hilborn would really top it off.

2. I'll take a dozen of em for a dime! Usually 5 or 6 hundred bucks when I see them. You need to spend a little time with me to learn about creative financing of car parts. I have no cash invested in the Gragar pedal, Halibrands, Hilborn. My car club helped with the trip. I have a daughter in college and another starting next year so I will need to be creative for a long time to come. You would probably enjoy a walk around my garage as I tell you how I aquired my "stuff". Alot of weird stories. Not much big spending. It's the only way I know how to do it. kinda fun too.

3. roland cad 500

roland cad 500

Kev still as mad as ever. very cool.

Met you back in 2004 at your shop.

Keep at it man.

Roland

4. ACME Rocket

ACME Rocket

You hit the nail right on the head ! Ya gotta love a Willys reaching for the clouds !
    Nice work Kev.

5. Algon

Algon

Kev,

I wasn't digging into your business and I hope you know I was kidding. It did strike me as ironic that such a common part would pose any challenge in light of what you do have regardless of what it may of cost or how you got it. A Chevy non tach drive magneto pales in comparison to the other stuff you have, a good score for $200, as the early caps when they aren't broken bring that or more.

The last Crager pedal on Ebay was still going strong at $500 and climbing though I'm not sure on the final price. Its been maybe ten years since I've seen one in person and it was $350 if memory serves... I have more than that amount invested in the block letter Eelco you wanted off my car. That's only because I'd rather do one more side job or sell something I don't have to have to get the rare part I want now instead of searching for another year or two hoping for a cheaper one while the average price doubles. My time is worth more than the difference.

As for the lessons you never know... My mag wheels, pedal, and injection were not free but I've got $20,000 plus in the driveline of a combination of two cars that were a $175. Trading parts or time and flipping the extras I had to buy to get what I needed at a fair price paid for all of it. Maybe not much by comparison but I've got the concept.

If you are giving tours I might have to check the place out some day, I'll bring you Chevy mag as a door fee:)... Anyway cool car man but I'm digging that garage even more.

6. classicfins

classicfins

Uh Oh.. Someone already blew your doors off man! Well, one of them anyways...:p

7. fantastic build dude! anyone that doesn't like it .....

8. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

9. miraclepieco

miraclepieco
    BANNED

Wow, another thread ruined by PhotoBucket. Please stop using PhotoBucket; they take away your photos after so many views and potentially classic threads are no more.

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Dude they were posted 3 years ago!!!

11. They will be back, I think I just need to renew my membership.

12. Please renew. I tried viewing a thread of yours the other day for reference and couldn't see the pics. You know what they say "this thread is useless without pictures" :D

13. 3day

3day
    from UK

I know it's an old thread... but having found myself back here once again reading it, I may as well add the pic of the mystery Quaker hood and what looks to be it's previous home

Attached Files:

14. 3day.....Thanks for adding that pic! I love the fact that the hood has a cool racing heritage, it adds a little soul to my car. I like the fact that he was running a 292 Chevy and I am running a 283. I have another picture of that car that was sent to me by fellow Willys nut Gary Ratliff......

[​IMG]

A few pics to show that this car was finished....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome Kev, I can't wait to see that car run again some day. 292 mmmmm I want to build a really hot 265/283 for a project down the road. They rule.

16. New Guy Here, Kev, been following your build, we think a lot a like, my 38 Sedan is back in the Garage, laying out things and how they will some day become that turn key car that we all want. 283 based engine, two four's tunnel ram, fender well headers, 4 speed, Willy's axle, 9 inch Ford, ladder bars, boxed original frame. My Sedan is real factory 2 Dr all steel so that make it unique. Well i will be posting some pic's as soon as i can. Just wanted to say very nicely down, love the old low buck built cars, it is where it all started out.

17. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Kev,

Looking forward to see your Willys Coupe doing a wheel up launch with the slicks all wrinkled up ! If you will be at Eagle Field in May I hope to see you make some hot passes ! ! ! !

Dave

18. Kev, thanks for posts. Inspired by close ups of fish plates, mounts, all general build shots.

You finkin' it up on 'dose wood blocks:D

19. 440 deluxe

440 deluxe

Kev I love your car!!