Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Rocketeer

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Arkas, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Hey guys,

my name is Michael, 23 and I'm from Germany/Europe, so first of all please excuse some writing mistakes :D

At the moment I am working at a Bosch Service Station here in Germany as a mechanic. My love for old cars started early in my teens way before I even had my drivers license with pictures of old american muscle cars and sports cars hanging around my room. My dream always was to sometimes own some classic american car, but having limited budget at this young age I started with the closest brand you could buy here that somehow resembles American cars, Opel.

[​IMG]

I bought an old 76' Rekord and started small by doing the basic service and repairing all the parts that broke while i just drove it as a daily driver, until last year.

I finally saved enough money to search for something big.
    The last couple of years i really fell in love with old 40s/50s kustom cars and hotrods, especially with another GM brand, Oldsmobile.

Last month i stumbled upon a really nice 1950s Oldsmobile Rocket 88 4dr Sedan, though it was 600 km away in the netherlands I just grabbed a friend for the ride and some cash, and bought it right away.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As these cars are really rare around here it really is something special to own.

I hope to get some useful answers for questions that will definitely pop up sometime sooner or later :D as I am one of the younger folks around here and still have much to learn.

I think I got the right exit at the Autobahn back home ;)
    [​IMG]

2. welcome to the board ...

nice looking wheel(s) but hope that you ll be discuss the olds on the board =)

pre-65 board ....

3. Welcome!

Herzlich willkommen von einem Oldsmobile Liebhaber zum anderen!

Your '50 looks to be in very good shape, you'll have a lot of fun with it!

4. Michael, willkommen aus den Staaten. Nizza Oldsmobile!

5. hi Michael,

damn, where's to find this HAMB parking bay? i'm not far from you! anyway, welcome here, i once restored a light blue Opel Rekord long before they were classic, so nice to see! (yes, the color was titled lite blue).

hope to see some time, this is a good place to have fun! best GM-greets from up above,

Cheers,

Carsten, near Hamburg

6. Arkas

Arkas
    from Germany

Thanks for the warm welcome ;)

@Carsten: Nähe Halle/Saale (Angersdorf, Sachsen-Anhalt), Original Color on the Opel was called "Pastellblau" I think

The olds still needs some work, doesnt brake at the moment and it needs some welding at the trunk/rockers/floor panels.
    The brake shoes look good but the brake lines are dry, need to fill it up and look for some leaks. I just hope it's not the master cylinder, could be expensive :p

The wheels seem to be stock, at least had the stock hubcaps on when i bought it. I'm planning on some whide whitewalls, but the engine/brakes/transmission comes first.

[​IMG]

Just stripped it at the moment. Maybe I'll start a build thread when more work is done...

7. I just took the stock master cylinder out of my '56.
    Not sure if they are the same, but i don't need it any more since I switched to dual reservoir.

8. Welcome from the US!

9. Welcome aboard. Nice project and one of my favorite Olds.

10. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

50 Olds 88 cool Welcome

11. el_bole

el_bole

Wie gehts mein freund aus California!!! That's my dream car......

12. Welcome, Michael, and don't worry about your grammar; it's better than some of the locals on this side
    of the pond.
    You will also be pleased to know that your Olds is considered to be the original American muscle-car,
    especially by us Rocketeers. Good luck w/ the project and hang on to those great Rocket valve-covers,
    (regret tossing mine years ago in favor of the spendy Edelbrocks.)