Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FIN: Gas on a Budget 1950 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimstro16, Apr 27, 2014.

1. jimstro16

jimstro16

Just wanted to post a couple of pics of the finished car. I had a thread a ways back that was deleted since it was "off topic". Took the first ride today and still have a few loose ends but nothing too major. I had a budget of $5000.. went over a little bit but not by much

Some of the pics are from a couple weeks ago before finishing.

Thanks to the HAMB for all the help and suggestions along the way

Attached Files:

2. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Very cool! Love the interior. No offense but i wasnt expecting that. Came out awesome.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. jimstro16

jimstro16

Its crazy what can be done with a $69 walmart sewing machine.

Most people seemed very confused seeing it driving down the road today. It looks like it should have been retired a long time ago.

Attached Files:

4. ev88f

ev88f

Came out really well. Interior looks great!

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, you got it going. congrats. But if it was "off topic" when it didn't run, do you expect this will be "on topic"?

A wider front axle would REALLY help.

6. jimstro16

jimstro16

Good point.. delete the thread

7. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

See how it goes. It may get a pass. There are things posted and living that are FAR worse.

8. jimstro16

jimstro16

Really just lookin to say thanks for the help while it was up. Kept the motivation going and learned a great deal from the site... even if a 1950 chev looking somewhat of the times is not correct for this site.

9. Thaplumbr

Thaplumbr

Not a Chevy guy,but I will say this,I like it man,way to go!!!

10. Looks good man. It looks " on topic " to me, maybe I'll see you around the neighborhood.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I dont get why this would be deleted. Its pre 65, and he did his own interior. What am I missing??

Nice job on the interior, Jim. How were you able to sew with a $69 sewing machine? thats amazing. Also, do you have previous interior sewing experience? This is something that I'd like to try someday. If you havent already, maybe you could do a tech thread on how you did it.

12. jimstro16

jimstro16

It could be due to some of the newer than '65 parts I used on the build. It was meant to be able to drive with family or take to drive in so a few things were needed to accomplish that. No heater so I put heated seat inserts in, hid a radio in the glove box and speakers out of sight. Also ended up using a modern transmission and rear end instead of original equipment. Other than that it was -on topic-

Thanks, this was my first complete interior. I bought the material and sewed the seat covers, door panels, headliner, etc. It turned out OK but its not perfect. Kinda matches the rest of the imperfect look of the car.

13. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

I was a fan before and even more now.
    Tell me about those headers. who makes them and how much?

Godspeed
    MrC.

14. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Looks good to me, but I may be a little buised !

15. jimstro16

jimstro16

Headers were out of the speedway catalogue. I ground off the tag but I think they were hooker or hedman. They are listed for a 55 -57 Chevy but they fit perfect on it. Paid almost as much for them as I did for the while damn car!

16. ...I wouldn't mind if that car was mine and sittin in my garage; very nice build for the $. If I built one it'd look like yours.
    too bad you're not closer to Byron, Illinois, be neat to see it at the Meltdown in July, it'd fit right in.
    ...here's a 50 I had many years ago....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  17. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Looks good man! I was wondering what happened to the car! Well done!
    Jay

18. jimstro16

jimstro16

I like the stance on your '50. It was tough to tell how high to set the ride height but after seeing that.. It makes me think I should've gone an inch or so lower in the front.

19. ...my fastback was just a street car back then, still runnin the orig. six;...we just liked the gasser look so we'd fill the front coils with spring spacers.!

20. I think it is pretty damn cool!!!!

21. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd say it's totally on board with the forum rules, more than most as far as after market parts go. So I'm confused why your "other" post would have been deleted? With the exception of the interior and new engine, it looks like an old race car just pulled out from behind a barn, a behind the barn find so to speak. Working on a 51 Bus Coupe with my nephew that I gave him, supplied all the parts and money to do the V-8 swap, and now he seems to have lost interest. The 49-54 Chevrolet's are really catching on. Butch/56sedandelivery.

22. daliant

daliant

That interior came out great, nice job.