Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39-41 brakes in DFW?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 53OlderThanMe, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Any leads on a shop in the DFW area that can turn the drums or properly remove the hubs and reinstall aftermarket drums?

I have a good set of hubs and bad drums of course the studs are swagged in. Drums may be ok but none of the modern auto parts stores can or will turn my drums even if they might be good.

2. Andy

Andy

I have drilled the studs from the backside to just cut the flange of the stud off. The other method is to use a deep hole saw. I forget if I used a 5/8 or 9/16 from Lowes/etc. Just get one that will fit tight to the 1/2" stud . It will remove the swedge very easily.
    I think the suppliers sell special studs to put them back together.
    The front drums should turn like any other drums. The backs would be the problem. They can measure and tell if turnable.

3. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You won't be able to reuse the studs, so would it be possible to use a die grinder and grind off the stud flange and then use a pin punch to knock them out? Here's a 1940 Ford rear hub.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  4. Thanks guys, I'm certain I could grind them down and knock them out. I also have the hubs that mount on the outside of the drum so likely 46-48 from what I read. Was really hoping to find someone local that could help me salvage the hubs. I know how to do it but don't have a hydraulic or drill press in my little home garage and no room with my F100 and Roadster.

5. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Could a local vocational school help you?

6. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get in touch with North Texas Custom or Sachse Rod Shop

posted via smoke signals made with a Mexican blanket

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I can remove the drums from the hubs on '40-41 Ford drums, and keep the studs so that they are re-usable, if they aren't already damaged. You need the "inside hub" style drum if you are going to use new 12x2 reproduction drums.

If you have '42-48 front hubs/drums, then there is no aftermarket drum that will fit those hubs. If they aren't beyond the serviceable limit, I can have them turned for you.

If you simply try to grind the stud off of the outside of '40-41 Ford drums and press the hub out, you will bend the hub. You have to cut the swedge from the front side, preferably using the method Andy described.

My contact info is on my website. I'm in downtown Dallas and I specialize '39-48 Ford brakes (mainly in converting them to self-energizing operation).

8. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

I have a set of drums from a 40...make an offer ...they are in good shape ...we changed em out for a disc set...

Mark Artis
    469 644 7544...

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Sounds like Bass is the "road to travel."
    Don't take the chance of messing up your parts.

10. Well here is what I know now. I apparently have a set of late 46-48 drums/hubs where the hub mounts to the outside of the drum. I have these on my rear which is apparently a little unusual as its more common to have the outer hub on the fronts. Joblot has the drums and studs in stock and I have them ordered. So my next visit will be to Bass Kustom as I also work downtown. Thanks all