Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical For the upholstery gurus - fabric durability/double rubs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barsteel, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Hello!

I finally got my '52 Plymouth buttoned up mechanically, so the next thing is the interior. I would like to have both seats and the interior panels recovered with something close to the original design fabric. I found something pretty close online, got a sample, and showed it to my upholstery guy. His thoughts were that it was kind of thin, but that it should be ok.

Here are the specs for the fabric in question:

Width: 54"
    Construction: Jacquard Fabric
    Style: Stripe Fabric
    Fiber Content: 63% OLEFIN, 37% POLYESTER
    Cleaning Instructions: WATER-SOLVENT
    Double Rubs: 50,000+ DOUBLE RUBS
    Lightfast: Passed Industry Standards
    RailRoaded Design
    This item has a factory applied Fabric Protectant.

MANUFACTURED TO MEET THE FLAMMABILITY SAFETY RATING CONTAINED IN:
    UFAC CLASS I
    ASTM E-84 CLASS A
    CALIFORNIA TECHNICAL BULLETIN#117, SECTION E (CS-191-53) CLASS I

Upholstery guys - what do the fabric specs indicate as far as durability goes? The fabric is "thin" when compared to some coarse weave denier nylon type fabrics, but it seems tough as hell, and there was no bleed through when he tested it with contact cement. I also read online that any material rated at over 40,000 double rubs is very heavy duty. It also seems to be thicker than the original fabric, which is still on the back seat.

Any thoughts on durability?

The design is pretty close to the original, and it seems reasonably price, about $13/yard.

Thanks...

Chris

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

At 13 bucks a yard, buy extra. If it shows like it is looking shabby, redo it again. I always glue 1/2 inch foam with the scrim backing on to the material for durability on the seats. Otherwise it will start to stretch out and wrinkle where you sit.

3. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

What about UV protection ?

4. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Stan -

Thanks for the tip. My upholstery guy mentioned that he would do just that when making the cover. He's done work for me before, so I know the quality of his work...very good.

Best part is, he works out of his house...Front seat, back seat recovered/repadded from bare frames (I strip), all 4 panels (2 door, 2 rear) recovered in the original style with the original stainless trim (I make the cards myself), and kick panels for $1200 - $1300, I buy the fabric, he supplies the vinyl.

Chris

5. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Over 50% of the shops I know of, are home based shops. Some do low quality work, some do excellent work. While one I know of has done Ridler winning cars. I asked my supplier, of the shops he sells to. 50% of them, (upholstery shops in general) he would not have them work on his delivery van. If your happy, that`s what counts.

6. Barsteel

Barsteel
    from Monroe, CT

Specs say "Passed industry standard", so I know that at least it was tested...

7. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

If your worried, spray it with scotch guard.