Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Unfinished Projects

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 shaker, Apr 25, 2014.

1. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Hi everybody, just wondering how many Old Timers have projects that prolly won't get finished ? I have a 57 Chev. 2dr. post that I've had since 78 and been collecting things for it ever since. The problem is I'm at the point where I don't see me finishing it. I have all kinds of extra chrome( lots of bel aire stuff )454 H. O. engine, alum. radiator,A/C, beefed 400 turbo trans,all the body work has been done and primed,complete brand new disc brake system, there's 3 or 4 57's here to make one. Wish I could trade every single piece of it for something that is already done. What kind of Unfinished Project do you have?

2. I got a '61 Willys pickup that all it needs is some minor brake work and a couple of coats of paint. I didn't start building cars on my own until about '68 so I am not sure that I count as an old timer. I hope that someone buys it but if not I will have it finish it and drive it.

I may consider trading it though. :D

Note: shamless spam here. ;)

3. 117harv

117harv

What a depressing thread topic:(

If your current project is stalled and or you have lost interest than a trade is a good idea. Some people enjoy the build, and when they get their project done and drive it for awhile the excitement wears off. Enter you, your project gets to someone who will attack it with renewed interest and complete it, and you get a new to you driving ride to enjoy...win...win. Now you just have to find that car/guy:)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Yep, the clock is ticking for me. :( I will probably finish my current rpu project, hopefully this year, and MAYBE get my 46 to the point where it can be used as a daily driver, but that will probably be the end of the projects I do. There are no cars I want to build beyond those two.

Age has a way of taking it's toll on you, body parts start to give out and you don't have the strength or stamina you once did. Afternoon naps start to take on a whole new importance in your daily routine. :eek:

But who knows. I have a friend who is about 75 and he is building a new car for Bonneville (he already has one record).

Don

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I only hope I'll be able to get a good start on my projects:
    1. restore of my 1969-built old T bucket I've owned since 1990.
    2. build a nice simple chassis for my 29 Tudor I've owned since 1993.
    3. redo of old glass Mullins to make camping trips to Garner State Park easier again.
    4. build of new T bucket which is now body/deck/frame owned for a couple of years.
    5. build of glass Mullins body and fenders for my daughter I've had since 1993.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm ony 67 so I'm not sure that makes me an old timer. I have four right now that I plan to see through the whole process. Hopefully one will be to the "it's done enough" stage this fall. I need to work on the engine in my 71 GMC that is supposed to be the support vehicle for all the other projects hauling them or parts and pieces around that go to them so it is a bit easier to get things done. That truck will be the never finished rig out of the bunch.

One thing I discovered now that I didn't know 35 years ago when I was putting in 16 hr days busting my butt to get the 48 together so i could make it to "that" show with it. Getting it done for a certain show isn't all that important but getting it done right is. A lot of my redo on the 48 is fixing things that got done with a short cut in the early 80's when I had to have it ready for this show or that show or else. I think that is why a lot of us older guys don't necessarily get a project done in a timely manner, most of the time it just doesn't matter if it is done on a certain date and we don't feel pressed to get it done like we did when we were younger. That said I do intend to hut the flathead run with a running driving vehicle this year although it may be a bit skimpy on sheet metal if I don't get my butt in gear.

7. Yeah,time to put it up for sale,,that or quit procrastinating,turn off the tv and spend a hour or so in the shop everyday. HRP

8. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

I'm closing on 70 but not done yet. But, I am determined to finish one before starting the next one.

31 Ford tudor (avatar) - about 1% left to do before declaring it finished

Chopped Henry J, 500 Caddy - ready for wiring, plumbing and a bit of bodywork

37 Simca (same as Topolino) - almost done gathering parts, 500 Caddy here too

27 Ford roadster, will be similar to Mr Model T's but with juice brakes, 28 Chev disc wheels and an Iron Duke - almost done gathering parts. I'm using a Willys-Overland frame with original quarter eliptic springs in front. The front crossmember is shaped in a V that extends over the axle. The springs are mounted with the leaf pack at the center of the V and the spring eyes coming back to the axle, about 36" apart. The frame rails are "inside out" from any other frame I've ever seen, so really different. I mocked up a V shaped cardboard grill and it emphasized the unusual crossmember, so I might forget about the 27 grill shell.

36 IHC one ton panel, my old party wagon - ran all over the USA in this one years ago, I can even remember some of it (!!!), now it's waiting for a heart transplant and my wife to retire, so I can do it again with her.

Last one and probably never happening, a 26 Buick chassis that would work well for a big speedster. All I have are really cool headlights with bubble lenses on forked stands and photos of an American LaFrance speedster, so maybe I shouldn't even consider this idea a project. But I'll be searching for other parts at Hershey in Oct.

9. alchemy

alchemy

I've got a '40 tudor project that I've never driven. Had it since 1982. It's about 3/4 done.

Other projects include:
    '32 5-window
    '32 roadster
    '32 roadster pickup
    '32 pickup
    '28 pickup
    '26 cutoff touring
    '26 roadster
    '26 touring
    '40 coupe

Think I'll live long enough? :)

10. One thing for sure you have too many Deuces that ain't running.:D HRP

11. It is amazing what you will get done if you just make time to go in the shop for an hour a day. after a while you get more excited because you see stuff coming together then its a few extra hours here and there people stop by and you get twice or half as much work done. stay active. I'm a young buck but my dad tells people he just tinkers and spends a little time each day and gets a bunch of good stuff out of his shop.

12. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout
    from East Idaho

Not sure you have enough time but that's an impressive list!!!

13. alchemy

alchemy

You should see my brothers' lists! 'Course they're younger than me, so they have more time.

14. The key to finishing, for me, at least, is to concentrate the bulk of my effort on one car at a time. I make frequent lists of next steps and keep working on finishing one thing then another. Too much life to live than to spend full time on cars, but I get a little time four or five days a week. As long as there is a focus on some activity, progress is made.

I have been steadily working on one car for the last few years. I have had the car since the late fifties, but not on the road since 1964. It is now within days of being on the road again! I am excited! It will be another year before it is painted and fully finished, but on the road for a while to finish all details before another tear down and finishing will keep me inspired.

I have two more hot rods on the drawing board of my mind. One I hope to finish before I am 75, and the other will depend on my health at that age. The next project has been slowly and steadily becoming a larger pile of parts, until now, all that is major to get are the tranny and some deuce rails.

15. I have my own method that i learned from a very old ude when i was a very young dude.

I set goals and never look at the project as a whole except in the beginning to give it direction. My goals are always attainable goals. You do something and then when you are done you feel good about it that way and you don't become overwhelmed by the magnitude of the project.

There is an old african saying: "no one eats an entire elephant in one bite."

16. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I can't believe someone has had a car since 1978 and not finished it.. What a waste of a good car and good garage space...

17. 1941coupe

1941coupe

started with a basket case been doing a full body off frame resto on a 46 merc going on 1 1/2 years got a lot done and I can see the light at the end of tunnel,it got a 303 rocket olds ,im 72 years old and this is my first and last resto for sure,i also love my 41 ford coupe and drive it regularly weather permitting

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my problem is I need to find someone to pay me to work on my own car. working on my friends car and have about 125 hours in it. I could easily have gotten my own car running and driving with that much time invested.

anyone want to pay me to work I on my car? I work cheap.

19. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I'm gonna restore them someday.

20. I think my '65 Ford truck has been parked in the barn for at least 25 years,,I keep saying it's next,but...,I have built 8 cars ground up since it was parked,and helped several friends get their cars on the road and now have started another project..:rolleyes: HRP

21. Jibs

Jibs

Which one, you have what is it now? 20-22?

22. Unfortunately, I too fall into this category. I have a 65 Vette I have had since 1983 that I still have not finished. Its down to reinstalling the engine/trans and carpet/seat covers but I got distracted on other projects. I realized recently that I am too old to finish all the projects in waiting so I have been letting some go.
    Here is what I collected thinking I could restore them but will run out of time:

two 1957 Fords
    two 1965 Fords
    1964 Impala
    1970 Mark III
    1965 F100
    1935 Dodge pickup
    1934 Ford pickup
    1928 Ford rpu
    These are besides the two in my avatar.

23. 2NDCHANCE

2NDCHANCE

To me an unfinished project is like a weight around my neck. But I have some friends that it doesn't even bother the least. I can understand both sides. What really makes me sad are the projects that take so long that the parts used are always out of style. You try to buy the parts that do not age....but that's not so easy. Or guys that don't finish their cars so that their workmanship will never be judged by their buddies. But they still have a project car to occupy their minds and garages. I have learned to not be so judgmental....there are so many variables in why projects take so long. My wife knocks me back in line when I say (or think) something stupid. Enough rambling. Gary

24. I started collecting projects in 1976, 39 Willys, 37 Willys , 29 Essex pickup thing, 35 willys, 29 Whippet and a 66 Falcon. I pulled the 39 apart and never touched it again and used the 37 as a daily driver for nine years. I realised I was going to run out of life so I sold the 39 Willys, Essex, Falcon and the Whippet. Kept the two that meant the most and got an easy project instead (26 T RPU ). Three is enough for me now. JW

25. TwoLaneBlacktop

TwoLaneBlacktop
    from Burien

Whats finished ???? My '36 sedan isn't "finished" but I've been driving the crap out of it for 10 years now just because I don't want to park it and tear it all apart.... Heck, no back seat just means more space to haul "Stuff" when ya' find something you just gotta have !!!!

26. ralphcramer

ralphcramer

Do something every single day. Even if it's only 10 minutes spent pondering the mock-up, do something.

27. Don Martin

Don Martin
    from West Tenn

The only way I finish a project is to work on it. Like ralphcramer said do something to it every day, 10 minutes is EZ. I have a long list and the Studebaker is on the front burner now. With speed week 105 days away there is no slack time. The others will fall into place after speed week.

28. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

Sorry, not a chance buddy. :(

You can't even give those damn '57 Chevys away these days.

:p

29. A lot of times, life gets in our way of finishing our cars/trucks and we just know that later we will be able to finish them. I know that I would certainly feel like crap if I sold one of my '31 DB coupes and then life took a change for the better. Then I would have some cash flow, but not the car I wanted to finish. Very Catch-22 like.

30. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

OH, yeah. Edith d' Plymouth has sat for 20 years during which time I spent about 10 hours on it, then let it sit and gather rust.

That's all changed now. Edith's getting a facelift and a complete tummy tuck & boob job.

The '63 Scout (hiding behind the curtain...) has been sitting untouched for some 35 years and will, however, probably sit for another 20 years.

I'll be 79 by then & won't care. ;)

Attached Files: