Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 ford truck tailgate options

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sprayed99, Apr 24, 2014.

1. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

I currently have a 32 gate, but not thrilled with it and have been looking for other options. I don't like the look of the hinges and hinge bar on it.

Looking around it seems the 38-40 gates are the same width and will allow me to use the side mount hinges.

Has anyone done this? If so would you care to share your findings and possibly pictures?

Thanks

Dan

2. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

I like the tailgate on Dan Sobieski's truck....

Attached Files:

3. My pal Dave used a '37 Ford tailgate in his "confused truck". HRP

[​IMG]

4. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

Cool! Thanks guys. I wont post pics of mine because I know I will get flamed for it here :)

5. Dan's looks similar to the original. HRP

[​IMG]

6. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

I would really like to know what all was involved in that tailgate. Hard to tell from that picture. Maybe he will chime in.

7. This is another friends original deuce pickup.

[​IMG]

And my deuce pickup with a simple tailgate we built in the shop,no hardware and it doesn't open. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  8. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

That is what I have now except my hinges are all chrome. The entire setup just bugs me. I also cant stand the chains. My truck is more of a street rod hence the reason I haven't moved my build thread over here. I posted one picture a while back and got a few messages and a few replies that were a bit "rude" so I just try to read and learn. My father in law built most of the truck over the last 15 years and he when he became ill he gave us the truck. I'm just trying to finish what he started.

Truthfully I would prefer it not even be functional. Its just something else for someone to dick with and screw something up.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  9. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Without all the clunky hardware.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Dan's looks like the ideal that all smart folks dream of...perfection, and subtle!

11. I used a 37 tailgate that has a modified upper rail to match the 40 bed sides

Attached Files:

12. Here's mine, not a great Pic, but it's all I can find quickly! 32 style with a 40 style hinge!

Attached Files:

13. I've been thinking about doing something similar on my truck,I've never been too happy with the simple tailgate on my pickup. HRP

14. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

Yes that is true. However the only measurements I have seen in any catalog, are the side to side dimensions. I would also like to know the height difference. Seeing others gates also helps a ton.

Thanks to all you guys.

15. I am using a '35-'36 tailgate on my '32 simply because I like the FORD script logo on it as opposed to the plain tailgate on a '32-'34. It is exactly the same size and is a simple bolt-on using the same hinges, latches, etc.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  16. sprayed99

sprayed99
    from Wylie TX

Thanks, although I'm trying to get away from the current hinge setup, but nice to know that those also fit.

17. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

That's exactly the info I needed. I, too, like the Ford logo on the gate. The catalogs really don't help much.

Attached Files:

• 011.jpg
      011.jpg
      File size:
      364.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Here's how I did mine, 32 tailgate with newer style tube hinge. (Sorry not the best picture)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  19. This photo shows it fairly well.

[​IMG]

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Yeah, that's the gate I'm looking for.