Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pickup bed finishing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjet, Apr 23, 2014.

?
  1. Oak 2x4 with repeated black tank straps

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Oak 2x4 with repeated stainless bed strips

3 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. Aluminum 2x4 I beam with repeated black tank straps

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Nothing - leave it alone

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  1. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I installed new bed wood & tank in my pickup. With the tank installed in the forward end, it seems like it needs something to protect it from shifting cargo.

I have a couple of ideas. One it to use an oak 2x4 to match the bed wood. The other is to use a 2x4 aluminum I beam to match the tank. The tough part it making it not look out of place (see attached drawings)

If I decide to go with the wood, I will either repeat the black tank straps on the 2x4, or repeat the bed strips. If I go with the I beam, I will repeat the tank straps.

Thanks

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 6a.jpg
      6a.jpg
      File size:
      303.3 KB
      Views:
    • a3.JPG
      a3.JPG
      File size:
      208.5 KB
      Views:
    • a4.jpg
      a4.jpg
      File size:
      279.6 KB
      Views:
    • 5a.JPG
      5a.JPG
      File size:
      214.4 KB
      Views:
  2. badshifter

badshifter

Mount the tank under the bed. Then it won't look out of place.

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

not an option - it's already bolted it.

4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'd build a box for the tank to fit in.

5. Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Unbolt it.

6. Agreed! HRP

7. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

That tank is hiding the nice looking bed.......

8. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Thanks - but right now, it's staying put. I had an underbed tank. Didn't like how it looked hanging down behind the diff, & I want to put the spare tire back there anyway. This new round tank will fit under the forward end of the bed too - maybe later on.

Attached Files:

9. Bells Dodge

Bells Dodge

Your bed looks really nice and I like the gas tank. I have a stretched out beer keg in the back of my Dodge. Probably not liked on this site but I like it.

10. bartmcneill

bartmcneill
    from Ada, OK

I like to see the tanks. It is just a style like any other hot rod option.

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Think I may end up doing something like this with oak (same finish as the bedwood) & a polished stainless strip on top. I'm also going to add a few tie-downs.

At least the bed will be usable without risk to the tank

Attached Files:

12. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Even tho you are probably thinking the new tank is pretty rite now and want to show it off, I think you know it looks out of place and it would be better if you could put it under the bed.

It does look out of place and like a last minute after thought/fix in that truck but if you must have it in the bed I would build a box to hide it in like suggested above,and *have a tank for the truck and not a truck for the tank.;)

You asked for opinions and thats just my "honest" .02

13. I was considering this as well for my truck. I was thinking about maybe using a 2nd front box panel or tailgate to separate the tank from the rest of the bed.

14. squirrel

squirrel

this looks like a good reason to put the stock tank in the cab where it belongs. I haul stuff in my old trucks, I cannot comprehend why someone would put a gas tank in the bed.

15. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Carry a couple moving pads behind the seat and cover the tank when necessary to protect it. I'd feel inclined to use one to protect the bed too.

I think anything you've suggested doesn't look as good as the tank does by itself.

16. x 2

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I appreciate everyone’s opinion on my tank choice & location. My decision was based on tank material & overall costs. I did not want another steel tank to rust out (truck is parked most of the time at my dad’s house), so it needed to be either stainless or aluminum. Here is a post I did a while ago about that…
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=632683
    I don’t plan on using the bed for more than just a couple of mountain bikes in the back or some camping gear when my son & I go out there a few times a year.

18. what might look good is another headboard, with the bottom trimmed to fit flush, then make a "shorty" tonneau cover so it looks like a, behind the cab, tool box

19. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

That's a great idea. I can make it easily removable too. :cool:

Attached Files:

20. Ole don

Ole don

Ranger pickups have nice sized plastic tanks. Small, to medium sized and are perfect for rods and pickups alike. They are strong enough to pass crash tests, and they wont rust.

21. indyjps

indyjps

Doesn't look like new paint, weld in a u bracket on each side of the bed, you can pull the wood divider board whenever you want, find a close match rattle can to touch up the paint, or get a factory matched color can of enamel, most paint shops can provide it.